The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

A young guy like this, with the amount of potential to be a stud in the NHL is going to want to prove himself in the best league in the world. If he doesn't then we don't want him anyways, and we only gave up a 3rd round pick to get his rights. It's a gamble, but I think he's gonna be the player we all hope he can be.

After his KHL contract? There's every chance he might not need to. I'd imagine that the level of competition is probably as high or higher as the AHL.

The KHL is much stiffer competition than the AHL.

• Upvote 1

Can he fight?

I'm not really caring if he can fight or not. :)

As has been pointed out by others, even Chara isn't what you'd call a great fighter. He's just very big, has reach, height and weight on pretty much anyone else in the NHL, and he can just wrap up anyone who goads hiim into a scrap. Can't recall when the last time Chara lost a fight. I believe most teams just try to goad him into taking roughing penalties, no?

I'd prefer Tyramkin was positionally sound and all those other positves which we have been reading about this guy. And hopefully, his decision making develops so that he makes good choices in which plays to make.

If he is a physical player, then I want him to be able to clear the front of the net by winning those size/strength battles with guys from the other team who are trying to block the goalies' view. Hopefully he will also be mobile enough to be in a position to every once in while put a big open ice hit on some guy.

I want him to be a good enough skater to go with his size and positional play so that he could rub guys out along the boards as they try to get past him, and even crush an opposing forward every once in a while. Either way, the opposing player is getting worn down.

And if he did have to fight, then I'd be okay if he fought like Chara.

regards,

G.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really caring if he can fight or not. :)

As has been pointed out by others, even Chara isn't what you'd call a great fighter. He's just very big, has reach, height and weight on pretty much anyone else in the NHL, and he can just wrap up anyone who goads hiim into a scrap. Can't recall when the last time Chara lost a fight. I believe most teams just try to goad him into taking roughing penalties, no?

I'd prefer Tyramkin was positionally sound and all those other positves which we have been reading about this guy. And hopefully, his decision making develops so that he makes good choices in which plays to make.

If he is a physical player, then I want him to be able to clear the front of the net by winning those size/strength battles with guys from the other team who are trying to block the goalies' view. Hopefully he will also be mobile enough to be in a position to every once in while put a big open ice hit on some guy.

I want him to be a good enough skater to go with his size and positional play so that he could rub guys out along the boards as they try to get past him, and even crush an opposing forward every once in a while. Either way, the opposing player is getting worn down.

And if he did have to fight, then I'd be okay if he fought like Chara.

regards,

G.

In comparison to Chara, I don't think he looks like Chara or even plans like chara. Right now, Tryamkin is very different to the Chara we kind of see him being. Chara is a very positionally sound, defensive presence. I hate to say that because he puts up great numbers year after year but what I'm saying is that he definitely thinks defense first. Tryamkin on the other hand seems like a loose canon. He seems to be a better skater than Chara was at the same age and doesn't look at awkward, albeit he is shorter than Chara. He uses a short stick from what I saw today at the player development camp and he really doesn't look like a position defensemen, but more a jump in the rush, use your skating to your advantage. He, in my mind, is a great skater, something he has over the tree Chara.

Edited by junglesniper

After his KHL contract? There's every chance he might not need to. I'd imagine that the level of competition is probably as high or higher as the AHL.

Only thing I could see would be a (likely short) stint in the AHL just to get accustomed to the smaller ice and generally more physical N.A. style play. Wouldn't hurt him to play part or all of one season in the AHL to do so.

That said, if he's ready in two years, he's ready.

In comparison to Chara, I don't think he looks like Chara or even plans like chara. Right now, Tryamkin is very different to the Chara we kind of see him being. Chara is a very positionally sound, defensive presence. I hate to say that because he puts up great numbers year after year but what I'm saying is that he definitely thinks defense first. Tryamkin on the other hand seems like a loose canon. He seems to be a better skater than Chara was at the same age and doesn't look at awkward, albeit he is shorter than Chara. He uses a short stick from what I saw today at the player development camp and he really doesn't look like a position defensemen, but more a jump in the rush, use your skating to your advantage. He, in my mind, is a great skater, something he has over the tree Chara.

It took a long time for Chara to develop into the player he is today. The positive about chara was always his work ethic. I remember hearing a story about when he was back in Ottawa about how they had to lock the facilities because he wanted to continue working out after they had closed.

I would prefer him to play in the KHL for a couple years (and not try to get out of his contract). There is more of an emphasis on skating there because of the big ice. He will not only learn to skate better but also to be better positionally. And then come over play a year in the AHL to get accustomed to NA playing style and then make the jump to the NHL at age 23.

I would prefer him to play in the KHL for a couple years (and not try to get out of his contract). There is more of an emphasis on skating there because of the big ice. He will not only learn to skate better but also to be better positionally. And then come over play a year in the AHL to get accustomed to NA playing style and then make the jump to the NHL at age 23.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Hopefully it works out we could use his size.

It's actually the opposite. The AHL is far more grinding due to the physical play and so many border line NHL Players the ones that barely makes it or just got sent down leauge, players are playing in the AHL to hopefully play in the NHL thus the intensity of the AHL game.

The KHL is more skilled. That said, use this as your measuring range. a Guy by the name of Radulov is the best player in the KHL. In the NHL he's just a second line player.

It took a long time for Chara to develop into the player he is today. The positive about chara was always his work ethic. I remember hearing a story about when he was back in Ottawa about how they had to lock the facilities because he wanted to continue working out after they had closed.

Yes. Chara did not play his best hockey until he was 32. That was his breakout year.

The KHL is more skilled. That said, use this as your measuring range. a Guy by the name of Radulov is the best player in the KHL. In the NHL he's just a second line player.

But what would Radulov do in the AHL?

Use this as your measuring range. a Guy by the name of Travis Morin was the best player in the AHL last year. In the NHL he's not a player at all... Also, Jason Krog was the best player in the AHL for YEARS, he couldn't make it in the NHL either.

• Upvote 1