The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mackenze Stewart | D/LW

Lui's Knob

I think what Benning recognises is ....what alternative does the overall roster have for this type of player. But it's a long term signing in as much as it's along way from fighting youngsters in Junior to making it in that capacity in the NHL. He's just a kid and I doubt he will make it for a while in the NHL. He has to grow into his frame. You look at McIlrath or Tom Wislon how long before they made it. You can't have the kid loose his confidence. Now with Pedan suffering yet another concussion it's a must JB addresses this problem

I think what Benning recognises is ....what alternative does the overall roster have for this type of player. But it's a long term signing in as much as it's along way from fighting youngsters in Junior to making it in that capacity in the NHL. He's just a kid and I doubt he will make it for a while in the NHL. He has to grow into his frame. You look at McIlrath or Tom Wislon how long before they made it. You can't have the kid loose his confidence. Now with Pedan suffering yet another concussion it's a must JB addresses this problem

Tom Wilson went 16th overall in 2012 and played 82 games in 2013-14. Not to mention they're pretty different players. McIlrath is also a poor skater which, reportedly, Stewart isn't. Bad comparisons.

Tom Wilson went 16th overall in 2012 and played 82 games in 2013-14. Not to mention they're pretty different players. McIlrath is also a poor skater which, reportedly, Stewart isn't. Bad comparisons.

The comparison was not intended to compare hockey skills but fighting skills. You can't throw a youngster into the NHL to fight when he's 20 years old...he's be fodder for the likes of John Scott. You have to allow them to mature and develop a mans body rather than a kids. McIlrath didn't step in right away that's the point neither did Deryk Engelland or Chris Neil or Zac Rinaldo or John Scott etc etc. but Wilson might be a bad example. There's a huge difference between youth tough and man tough...that's the point

No need to get worked up. And if we are not allowed to question the decisions of GMs what is the point of even participating in CDC? And my comment was primarily just expressing surprise.

I have often said positive things about Benning's scouting record. But at this stage it surprises me that the plan is for Stewart to play in Utica. Maybe Benning does see something that others have missed. (And don't forget, no other GM thought he was worth drafting in the first 6 rounds.) I hope it works out.

But, like I said, Gaunce and Jensen have both been healthy scratches in the playoffs and they look like much, much better players than Stewart.

Instead of just being insulting, how about providing some actual analysis? How often do players with Stewart's kind of record stick in the AHL their first year out of junior? It happens, but not often. Even Dane Fox could not stick in Utica last year, although he might make it next year. And if the battle for a spot is between Fox and Stewart, who is likely to win?

I still think he is a longshot to stick in Utica next year. My guess is that, like Fox this year, he starts out in Utica and then gets reassigned to the K-Wings.

Fox and Gaunce are forwards, Stewart plays mostly defence - it also looks like Stewart has dropped the gloves more than a few times - he is a devastating puncher. If you can play defence in the 5,6, or 7 spot and defend your teammates when necessary, there is still a job for you in the NHL. And even more so in the AHL.

Fox and Gaunce are forwards, Stewart plays mostly defence - it also looks like Stewart has dropped the gloves more than a few times - he is a devastating puncher. If you can play defence in the 5,6, or 7 spot and defend your teammates when necessary, there is still a job for you in the NHL. And even more so in the AHL.

Benning has stated he'll move up front.

The comparison was not intended to compare hockey skills but fighting skills. You can't throw a youngster into the NHL to fight when he's 20 years old...he's be fodder for the likes of John Scott. You have to allow them to mature and develop a mans body rather than a kids. McIlrath didn't step in right away that's the point neither did Deryk Engelland or Chris Neil or Zac Rinaldo or John Scott etc etc. but Wilson might be a bad example. There's a huge difference between youth tough and man tough...that's the point

Touche

Haha beauty, just loves one punching people and throwing his bucket, tough kid.

Wasn't he the guy that got one punched himself at the prospects game last year by a Winnipeg prospect? One punching kids in junior is different than the AHL, that league is full of goons that can one punch as well. Pedan found out the hard way and is still suffering because of it.

Wasn't he the guy that got one punched himself at the prospects game last year by a Winnipeg prospect? One punching kids in junior is different than the AHL, that league is full of goons that can one punch as well. Pedan found out the hard way and is still suffering because of it.

yeah, he lost against Bell in that tourney.

Had a bad year in fights last year, I was surprised to see that he won almpst all his fights this year.

Ya man, I hears ya for sure. Good to have some toughness down in the A when we need it tho.

I don't want our big guys to fight, I want them to hit hard and clear the crease.

Pedan will be a much better player than fighter (unless he gets taught to defend himself) and I see MacKenzie in the same light.

90% of the guys who would beat Pedan in a fight will probably never see the NHL. One great thing about Rick was that he understood defence, that was how he was able to take on guys who were bigger than him.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like Stewart is impressing at prospects camp with improved skating and puck skills.

Maybe Benning was correct that Stewart is one of the guys who has the drive to keep pushing to make the NHL.

Hoping that Stewart keeps improving and one day realizes his dream of the NHL.

Sounds like he is impressing as a winger at development camp. Hope this continues, Can he go AHL next year or does he need to stay in CHL?

Benning signed him with the intent to pull him out of junior and have him go pro this season.

Not bad for a 7th round pick after his draft+1 season. From Benning:

“We drafted him as a defenceman,” Benning said. “This year, he played some wing and some defence. I think what we are going to try and do is develop him as a winger. He is a real good skater for his size, he gets in on the forecheck and plays physical. He’ll stick up for his teammates, he’s a hard-nosed kid who will do what needs to be done...”

“He is the type of kid that if there’s any way to figure out how to be a NHL player, he is going to do it,” Benning said. “He’s serious about wanting to be a player. He is going to leave no stone unturned to try and make it as a player. I have seen through the years kids that have this sort of intensity and they kind of figure out a way...."

“We signed him to a contract, he’ll start off in Utica and we’ll see how that goes and go from there. He’s a fantastic kid and a total team player.”

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/05/12/canucks-sign-defensive-prospect-mackenzie-stewart/

Benning clearly sees something in him, much more than the Canuck Army crowd and even Cory Pronman who said "He's not a prospect." The part about sticking up for teammates is of note as well, this being but a month after the Flames punked the Canucks in the playoffs.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/canucks-sign-prospect-mackenze-stewart/

im behind this guy the whole way smart player plays hard big physical like a pedan without the staged fights. he looks to have pedigree. he said everything hes bin through made him ruthless and thats what he loves about himself.... i love that hes young and we need his style of play up and down our lieup. my darkhorse forsure

Benning signed him with the intent to pull him out of junior and have him go pro this season.

Not bad for a 7th round pick after his draft+1 season. From Benning:

Benning clearly sees something in him, much more than the Canuck Army crowd and even Cory Pronman who said "He's not a prospect." The part about sticking up for teammates is of note as well, this being but a month after the Flames punked the Canucks in the playoffs.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/canucks-sign-prospect-mackenze-stewart/

For all of the statistical analysis the Canucks Army crowd writes, their determination of who is and isn't a prospect boils down to the most basic of stats - points. Anyone who doesn't fit in their box of point producer is not a prospect.

And yes, I know that most players who are not scorers in junior do not make a transition to the NHL. So there is a lot of merit in using points based metrics for analyzing prospects.

I would counter that by saying junior and pre-draft stats can tell you who are the best 18 year old hockey players, but not necessarily who will be contributors as 25 year old players.

Stewart has the odds stacked against him in that he has not put up big offensive numbers in junior, and that he is a 7th round pick. However, he has beaten the odds before. Look at his info on eliteprospects.com. Played what looks like tier 2 midget and junior B. Was not drafted in the WHL and yet eventually made it as a WHL regular and earned an NHL contract. Good story, let's see where he goes.

Archived