The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN Completely revamps Website

timberz21

Anyone else notice this morning that the TSN site is completely revamp?

I hate it. First, because I don't like changes, but also I feel lost. I liked the fact that you didn't have to scroll down to see all the news because, they were all on the side panel and you could see them all with one glimspe. Now you have to scroll all the way down to see every one of them. Maybe i'm too old school lol.

Alright, enough with my rant, what do you guys think about it?

www.tsn.ca

Well I never go to TSN (rarely) so I'm not sure about the difference but it's pretty decent. It loads very smooth, say in comparison to NHL.com that also has a sports ticker at the top. It also has a nicer white feel to it.

Also, I feel for you "feeling lost". I hate changing software myself simply because some lofty executive idiot wanted a project to do. Often times the increased functionality is next to zero.

Finally, this all comes down to the fault of smart phones, which can be quite dumb. Because everyone concentrates on apps now designers dumb their basic interfaces down so the interchange between an actual computer and a phone is more seamless. Therefore most websites are becoming very simple, bland, and pretty damn useless.

As a web developer by trade, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

1. Mobile devices (phones, tablets, phablets) are now the combined leading platform for web viewing, so the methodology of "mobile first" is used in, or should be used in 99% of all sites being created within the last year and moving forward.

2. With that same logic, the design used is "responsive", that is it will adjust the content layout based upon the device viewing the site. Test it out for yourself, open it nearly full screen then drag the window progressively narrower, you will see it shift elements based on how narrow you go, as well as change the top heading/navigation.

3. The site flows a lot more naturally now, with correct typography and element spacing. It's cleaner and fresh.

While I agree with some of the comments regarding accessibility and being able to quickly peruse the headlines without scrolling, that was done when desktop browsing was the most common access method. As a web developer, I applaud TSN for bringing their website into the current generation of web standards.

Change is never easy, especially when it deals with a publicly accessed resource, and I believe TSN should have provided forewarning that change would be happening, not just thrust it upon an unsuspecting public. That said, it's a relatively easy change to get used to, and one of the better ones to tolerate - web sites are starting to shift away (finally) from the terrible late 90s/early 2000's design principles and embrace modern technology.

As a web developer by trade, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

1. Mobile devices (phones, tablets, phablets) are now the combined leading platform for web viewing, so the methodology of "mobile first" is used in, or should be used in 99% of all sites being created within the last year and moving forward.

2. With that same logic, the design used is "responsive", that is it will adjust the content layout based upon the device viewing the site. Test it out for yourself, open it nearly full screen then drag the window progressively narrower, you will see it shift elements based on how narrow you go, as well as change the top heading/navigation.

3. The site flows a lot more naturally now, with correct typography and element spacing. It's cleaner and fresh.

While I agree with some of the comments regarding accessibility and being able to quickly peruse the headlines without scrolling, that was done when desktop browsing was the most common access method. As a web developer, I applaud TSN for bringing their website into the current generation of web standards.

Change is never easy, especially when it deals with a publicly accessed resource, and I believe TSN should have provided forewarning that change would be happening, not just thrust it upon an unsuspecting public. That said, it's a relatively easy change to get used to, and one of the better ones to tolerate - web sites are starting to shift away (finally) from the terrible late 90s/early 2000's design principles and embrace modern technology.

You've said everything I wanted to say.

The site is now much more accessible across devices, and faster loading. I personally find the navigation easier to use, and the new scorebar at top is great .

Anyone else notice this morning that the TSN site is completely revamp?

I hate it. First, because I don't like changes, but also I feel lost. I liked the fact that you didn't have to scroll down to see all the news because, they were all on the side panel and you could see them all with one glimspe. Now you have to scroll all the way down to see every one of them. Maybe i'm too old school lol.

Alright, enough with my rant, what do you guys think about it?

www.tsn.ca

I feel the same way. The old one was fine and easy to navigate, there was no need to change it IMO.

the design used is "responsive", that is it will adjust the content layout based upon the device viewing the site.

That is why there is no need to limit the max width of the actual content as much as they have. They can let larger screens show full content while still having room for the side stuff.

Archived