The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014-2015 Season Predictions

Provost

Have done this for the past couple of years, having a thread for folks to make their predictions on things that will happen during the season. It is fun to go back as time goes by to see what came true or not.

(the first year I was almost perfect, last year... not so much).

Here are my predictions... what are yours?

1. We will start fairly slow while adjusting to the new system, but pick up speed and end up in the playoffs.

2. We will trade for another NHL calibre defenceman during the season. The organizational depth just isn't there at the moment. Even with an improved Edler, Sbisa is still a work in progress all year long.

3. Vey will be the bright spot among our pick ups, playing his way up the roster as the season goes. Good thing because unfortunately Kassian isn't going to find his way into the top six regularly. we may end up seeing Vey converted to wing again and playing on the 2nd line with Bonino.

4. Vrbata will continue to be good on the first line and have a career year in terms of points. Barring injury, the twins will be on pace for a 70-90 point season.

5. At the trade deadline we will still be on the playoff bubble, but Benning is still going to trade away a couple of veterans to other teams who are adding for playoff runs. A rookie or two who only had injury call up time to that point are going to become fixtures on our roster.

6. We will win a playoff round, but lose in the 2nd round. Folks will be surprisingly (and oddly for this town) OK with it as a fanbase since they will see a possibility of better days ahead with the young players and assets we will continue to get.

I have 3 predictions.

1. Barring any serious injuries, Linden Vey will contend for the calder trophy. Call me crazy, but I am a big believer in this kid. I think he is going to be what Cody Hodgson was for us if not better. I don't think he will win the Calder Trophy, but he will get some serious talk, and maybe get a finalist nomination. I believe in Linden Vey, and this preseason has made me only believe in him more.
  2. The Vancouver Canucks will make the playoffs. I like the squad we have got this year. A lot of people are doubting, but I think we have a solid team. If everyone clicks with each other and the coach, which it seems they are doing, we should be a force. On paper, our team is actually pretty solid and really deep. (Which is also pretty nice considering we have a number of talented prospects seemingly on the verge of making the jump within the next 1-3 years.) We just need to gell it altogether. And I think Willie Desjardins is truly the man for the job.
  3. The whole league will take take notice, when the Canucks come, we come to play. Go Nucks. :towel:

1. Horvat sticks with the team for the year, develops nicely.

2. Benning tries to move Burrows at the trade deadline but can't find a trading partner.

3. Henrik and Daniel both rebound, put up 70-75 points.

4. Kassian gets suspended at some point during the year.

5. Canucks put up 89 points, miss the playoffs by 3 points.

6. Canucks and Tanev can't agree on a new contract during the year.

7. Shinkaruk underwhelmes in the AHL, maybe gets a cup of coffee with the Canucks but no more.

Sedins get to about 70-75 points each

Vrbata scores 28 goals

Bonino finishes with 45 points, including 18 goals

Higgins will reach 41 points, and score 17 goals

Sbisa will be moved before the year is over

Vey will finish with 28 points, including 11 goals

Burrows will finish with 34 points, including 13 goals, and miss some time due to injury

Edler will bounce back with 39 points, 11 goals and a + 4 rating

Both Bieksa and Hamhuis will miss extended periods of time due to injury

Lack will play roughly 25 games, and will finish with SLIGHTLY better stats than Miller

The Canucks will make the playoffs with 91 points (second wildcard) and get taken out in the first round in 5 games

The Canucks will have the 15th overall pick in the first round of the 2015 NHL entry draft

The Canucks will draft Defenceman Jeremy Roy

Sedins score 65 points each

Vrbata gets 37 goals

Higgins has career year until trade deadline, then traded

Sbisa has troubles all year

Edler has great year + 12........42 points.......hailed a god when compared with Sbisa - 22

Vey becomes fan fav and plays 2nd line

Kassian traded with Bonino to Pittsburg for Poulet and Sutter/2015-2nd

Lack(GAA 2.32 S% .926) out shines Miller (GAA 2.43 S% .918) and another goaltender controversy starts

Toronto Maple Leafs loose playoff race Oct. 8, 2014

Kesler sidelined by Bruised ego.....16 goals + 22 assists

Canucks fined $250,000 for supplying growth hormones to Jordan Subban

I have 3 predictions.

1. Barring any serious injuries, Linden Vey will contend for the calder trophy. Call me crazy, but I am a big believer in this kid. I think he is going to be what Cody Hodgson was for us if not better. I don't think he will win the Calder Trophy, but he will get some serious talk, and maybe get a finalist nomination. I believe in Linden Vey, and this preseason has made me only believe in him more.
  2. The Vancouver Canucks will make the playoffs. I like the squad we have got this year. A lot of people are doubting, but I think we have a solid team. If everyone clicks with each other and the coach, which it seems they are doing, we should be a force. On paper, our team is actually pretty solid and really deep. (Which is also pretty nice considering we have a number of talented prospects seemingly on the verge of making the jump within the next 1-3 years.) We just need to gell it altogether. And I think Willie Desjardins is truly the man for the job.
  3. The whole league will take take notice, when the Canucks come, we come to play. Go Nucks. :towel:

After reading this post, I promptly threw all my umbrellas in the garbage bin. :^)

We'll be the 20th worst team missing the playoffs. Benning will move some youth to try to shore up the weak faceoffs and defense in hopes we'll get a few wins and then sell off some vets at the deadline.

be happy to be wrong but I don't see much chance to win here, defense is weak and we can't offset that with a skilled offense. If we can't score, defend or start with the puck after draws it's going to be a long season.

1. Sedins score between 75-85 points

2. Vrbata nets 35

3. Higgins gets traded

4. We scrape into the playoffs and push it to 7 games in the first round... Not sure who wins

5. Lack makes a serious case for #1, Miller also plays decently. The competition between the two pushes both to have very solid seasons. Miller gets traded at the draft.

6. We get 2 1st round selections...again.

7. Shinkaruk has a mediocre season in AHL

1. Sedins get back to 70+ points

2. Burrows bounces back to 40-50pts

3. Bonino breaks 50pts.

4. Vrbata gets 30+ goals

5. Edler has a decent year. Positive +/-

6. Goalie controversy

7. we make the playoffs. Make it to the 2nd round then eliminated.

8. Trade up for a top 10 pick.

Making some bold ones that will hopefully make me look stupid by seasons end

Bottom 10 team

Vrbata will score 30+ preventing the nucks from being a bottom 5

Lack will be the clear numbers one by trade deadline because of his strong play(not b/c of miller)

It will become much more evident that Burrows is a 3rd liner

Kassian will fail to impress but Vey will

Sedins will bounce back and have a strong season 65-70 points

1. The Canucks make the playoffs, bounced in a deep first round or swept in the 2nd round.

2. We get some of the best goaltending in the NHL.

3. Edler has a 40 point season and is inconsistent all year long but pretty good.

4. The Sedins put up 70 points again.

5. Kassian, Jensen and Vey have breakout years.

Archived