The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] ARI 4, REFS/TOR 1, VAN 0

M A K A V E L I 96

Honestly, it doesn't even matter they allowed that goal. 4-0 is not much better and you can argue that it killed the Canucks' momentum, but then one could also counter that good teams shouldn't collapse and give up like that (although the Canucks have done pretty good this year at putting in 60 minute efforts, just not tonight).

Canucks need to score on the PP. That was a major issue last year and it looks like it might still be an issue now.

The power play has dried up, and only one unit was working to begin with. That is something within the team's control. Get that power play going, and fast.

true, got outplayed besides the goal, but it's frustrating since that goal snowballed and put the game out of reach. Was it disallowed (the right call), it's a 1 goal game and we have a legitimate shot at a comeback.

Yea. The thing I hate most about that goal is even the guy who scored it said it shouldn't have counted.

Chance to claim 1st in the NHL out-rightly and we blow a 5-0 loss to the worst team in the Conference on home ice with our full squad playing. Wow.

Say what you want about the refs mucking with us on a few calls and 1 goal, but we didn't lose this game 1-0. We played the right way for most of the game, generated a tonne of shots but adversity unravelled us in the end.

Good, Cup winning teams find ways to adjust during the game to adversity and end up coming back. Even after it was 2-0 this was a very winnable game. Outshooting the opposition by twice as much, still about 30 minutes to play and a team that only won twice on the road. Instead, we let in a goal 9 seconds later and that's the game. Heck, we could have come back 3-0 in the third if we're lucky against a team this bad but we let in another crucial goal before the end of the 2nd.

I hope Willie Desjardins takes this game as an opportunity to teach his team about playing against adversity. It's going to happen if we're to go on a long cup run and good teams like LA and Chicago deal with it admirably. They brush off these sorts of let-downs in-game and go on to force OT and win it like true clutch teams as opposed to bend over once the game's too hard.

That being said I'd rather lose 5-0 to a crappy team we won't see in the playoffs and beat teams like Anaheim 2-1 than vice versa. Hopefully they use this as a learning tool if anything else.

It's ok guys we lost to the defending Champ- oh what? we lost to the Coyotes? the team that couldnt keep the puck out of their net in their last 3 games playing their backup? the team at the bottom of the Western Conference?!

Typical Canucks hockey! i should have seen this let down from a mile away, a team down and out vs the Canucks = easy win.

Apparently not even the first time that Hanzal's gotten away with one these.

See the GWG 1-0 goal vs LA by Hanzal here:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2010020707

and Dean Lombardi got fined $50,000 for complaining about it:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/21/sports/la-sp-kings-fyi-20110122

While it's stupid to see Lombardi complain about the league, damn PHX gets away with a lot.

“We felt at 1-0 a goal was just around the corner for us, then the 2-0 goal came and we lost momentum.” - Burrows

“It doesn’t matter. We let in 5 goals, we made mistakes tonight.” - Bieksa on the 2-0 call

I guess that's the difference between Burrows and Bieksa.

Bieksa takes it like a man and takes responsibility.

Burrows cries about losing momentum after the blown 2nd goal call.

Guess what burrows... you blew the 1st goal too. That also caused momentum to drop.

What a night

Archived