The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Dallas Eakins has been fired, MacTavish appoints himself new coach

AriGold

Does anyone else think they need Torts/someone like Torts sort of?

Keep the young guys accountable and rewards them or they sit in the box, hard-nosed system, although they may not respond well to the yelling/trying to light a fire.

I just dont know anymore, its just sad in Edmonton and has been for awhile

(Haha was thinking this as I typed my comment out)

Just the tip of the iceberg. The problems in Edmonton are much deeper than just Eakins.

Taylor Hall has played 4 seasons with the team, and achieved nothing with his team but failure. Their best campaign was in 2012-13, where they finished 24th. And when he has his best year in the league, notching 80 points in 75 games, the Oilers end up with the 3rd overall pick of the draft. If I were him, I would be pissed, tired of all this. They're used to loosing. And once again, year after year, they think they can compete but are dead last in the NHL with a 7-19-5 record.

I'm not a supporter of the Oilers, totally not. But gimme a break. They suck for a long time, management is terrible. They had their chance for almost five seasons. Enough is enough. MacT should follow Eakins as well, just clean the house and start over again, so they have a shot at saving their rebuild that includes three consecutive 1st overall picks.

(Haha was thinking this as I typed my comment out)

I cant tell if I think that way because they have the potential to just crash and burn even harder, or rise from the ashes haha

I do think it's the entitlement mentality from the younger guys that's the problem though

The Oil are a classic gong show. The worst team in the NHL for the past decade.

Here's a short history. MacLoser captained the Oilers and then became the head coach. He was then fired as the coach and a couple of years later hired as the GM. He then hires a rookie head coach and then fires him. Now Mac Loser in his wisdom has decided to coach the team again. All he has to do now is look into a mirror to realize he has hired an idiot to coach what is an equivalent of an AHL team. And the Oil thought Tambo screwed things up.

Well now it is up to the leagues most over-paid and under-achieving first line to prove they can play hockey with the big boys. Six million dollar contracts each for 5 and 6 year. Just one example of incompetence personified.

There's no doubt that the Oilers have personnel issues but their coverage in the defensive zone borders on ridiculous sometimes and that's coaching. It seems like, if teams can pass the puck around the horn long enough, eventually all the Oilers on the ice will start following it like a bunch of dogs after a laser pointer and hilarity ensues.

Their forwards don't work nearly hard enough for professionals either.

This may be the long term effect of tanking a team and getting a lot of high end rookies with no (or rather not enough or not the right kind) leadership core to develop them.

One of the biggest problems is that these talented players are making a ton of money, but have not earned it, sort of a byproduct of the player market itself. Potential is paid for as opposed to production.

For instance, Eberle is being paid 6M, but he has never had a season over 76 points. That's only a mil less than Daniel or Henrik, who have proven themselves over time. Hall is being paid the same, last year only 80 points. Hopkins as well, despite never breaking 56 points. Those three contracts don't start to end until 2019-20 or so. They don't have to win to make the money.

Edmonton needs to change this by building a culture where work ethic is rewarded as opposed to simple potential. They need their own Chris Higgins, Alex Burrows or Shawn Matthias who got to play because they worked hard and wouldn't quit. Right now they have over paid prima donnas whose work ethic and team moral is horrible.

I am not a coach, but I might think about letting some grinders play 18-20 min and play your top line for 10 for a game or two. You can't put players like then on waivers, they would be gone in a heartbeat, but they do need something drastic, something that makes a statement, and trading isn't it, they have no value as it is, it has to be internal.

Eakins was part of the problem, but the problem starts at the top. No accountability (from ownership down) only scapegoats which happen to be the coach. The culture there seems to be off.

They don't seem to believe that anything is earned, it's expected. We have high draft picks + we are the Edmonton Oilers + we have Kevin Lowe = winners. No direction + no accountability + no leadership = losers.

Start at the top and work down. And they need to find some players who know how to win and are willing to pay the price. High draft picks that are still children can't do it on their own. They need someone to show them the way.

The press conference that Mac-T is having is pretty hilarious,

"We blame something internally that is the root of the problem"

"We can't blame Eakins is the problem of the team"

"I will try my best to find the root of the problem"

"There's blood all over my hands"

"Re-establish the work ethic in our team"

Good luck Oilers seems like you guys won't be heading to the playoffs anytime soon.

Does anyone else think they need Torts/someone like Torts sort of?

Keep the young guys accountable and rewards them or they sit in the box, hard-nosed system, although they may not respond well to the yelling/trying to light a fire.

I just dont know anymore, its just sad in Edmonton and has been for awhile

Yup cause that worked out so well for Vancouver. I really hope the Oilers do hire Torts, that would just make the entire situation even more entertaining.

Archived