The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Dallas Eakins has been fired, MacTavish appoints himself new coach

AriGold

More of the old boys club shuffle.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 7h7 hours ago
Kelly Buchberger will join OKC coaching staff on an interim basis as Oilers organizational shuffle continues.

Speaking of Buchberger, it made me remember this

So our day begins at the golf course, where I've been battling in the Lindy Ruff all day. We call it quits and head into the clubhouse for some Bob Beers and Kelly Buchbergers. After crushing many drinks we decide to hit the local night club to check out some Karl Dykhuis and Joe Nieuwendyk's. I noticed I was getting eyeballed by some Neil Shehee and she had a bit of a Doug Weight problem. A real Jamie McCowan. I thought to myself; I can't stoop this Patrick Marleau. She wanted to take off, and I wasn't sticking around for the ugly lights to come on, so I paid the Rick Tabaracci and hopped into a Thomas Kaberle. I took her back to my Phil Housley where things got a little hot and steamy. She geared down and not to my surprise, her Cary Takko was a bit Mike Ricci and Jason Wooley. I decided she needed a Bill Barber, pulled out my Donald Brashear's and shaved her down to the Randy Wood. She then proceeded to trim my Harry Snepts and around my Saku Koivu. I reacted quickly and popped her Don Cherry, but she was to Ken Dryden, so I flipped her over, grabbed my Hakan Loob and threw it in her Dustin Brown with no Ty Domi. She soon started to complain she was to Marty McSorley to go on, so I snapped, quickly showed her the Daryl Sydor, and told her maybe I'll call her Brendan Morrow, needless to say she was Grant Fuhrious. The next morning I had the worst Darren Puppa, and I was Valeri Zelepukin all day. Two weeks later, I noticed a little Travis Green coming out of my Mike Babcock so I book an appointment with doctor Randy Gregg to get a Corey Schwab. But this isn't the end of the story, a month later I woke up and saw a little Garth Snow outside, the weatherman said there was a 30% chance of a Theo Fleury. My car wouldn't start so I had to borrow my roommates. It's not as Chris Osgood as mine, and it takes a Roberto Luongo time to start. When I went into his room to get the keys there was that same Rick Brodsky with my roomate. She was sucking on his Mike Peca while Esa Tikkanen his temperature with her finger. I said Buddy, don't do it, that Butch Goering has the fans clapping.

yes, I'm not a fan of Eakins at all - I find him quite annoying and don't have much belief in his ability to be honest, but what he was given to work with is easily half their problem, and almost looks like he was either intended as a sacrifice, or had a brewing conflict with management that culminated in him being dismissed when he started using his lines in a way that looked like he might be publicly protesting the pieces he had to work with.

Did he have any say in the end in roster decisions? Who knows, but expecting that group of one dimensional young forwards to produce results is a real head scratcher.

It's a shame, because a good GM with all that asset value to work with could undoubtedly turn that franchise around in a hell of a hurry.

I agree. I was never a fan of Eakins as a coach (and was very glad the Canucks did not buy the hype even though we ended up with Torts). Some of Eakin's deployment of players is impossible to figure out which did also get me thinking he was trying to make a statement to management.

All those #1 picks and they are wasting the talent by not surrounding them with the right type of leadership and depth to be successful. They should have traded down the Yakupov pick and probably could have gotten a solid veteran piece or two plus a still blue chip defender at a lower pick. Stupid move hanging onto it if they were not going to take Murray.

It is not very often that a team is in a situation where trading the 1st overall pick is the best plan but that is one time it definitely made the most sense.

Ohhh, man.

Any person that goes into Edmonton now to coach 'permanently' will have to realize he is tap dancing on a landmine.

Upper management is obviously only concerned about one thing...and that is upper management. Not sure how many real bench bosses want to be put into a situation where they will be thrown under the bus at the earliest convenience.

That being said, coaches are hired to be fired, that is simply the nature of the beast and let's be honest...it wasn't like Eakins was exactly covering himself in glory with his first coaching gig. Overall it is a complete FUBAR situation in Oiltown and outside of firing Lowe and assembling a new team vision, i'm not sure what can be done for this once proud franchise.

What a mess.

I actually feel bad for Mac T, you can say he could have built a better team this season but if you look at the team he was left with and the lack of organizational depth it's a pretty tall order.

The root of the problem is drafting.

Let's face it, Kevin Lowe has very little to do with the day to day management of the hockey team.

Good drafting makes coaches, GM's and team presidents look genius.

The days of building a team through free agency and trades are over. Turn the last 7 drafts into 1 NHL player per draft past round 1 and this is a completely different story.

Along with drafting comes player Devolopment. The players they did draft in the first round were rushed into the lineup, where the learned how to be losers.

killed a woman by drunk driving while playing for the bruins in the 80's. character.

oilers signed the guy while he was still in jail. classy.

character and class. no wonder the dressing room is a mess and ference is the captain. same old entitled boys, minus the star power, all in a room blaming everybody else.

More of the old boys club shuffle.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 7h7 hours ago

Kelly Buchberger will join OKC coaching staff on an interim basis as Oilers organizational shuffle continues.

Speaking of Buchberger, it made me remember this

So our day begins at the golf course, where I've been battling in the Lindy Ruff all day. We call it quits and head into the clubhouse for some Bob Beers and Kelly Buchbergers. After crushing many drinks we decide to hit the local night club to check out some Karl Dykhuis and Joe Nieuwendyk's. I noticed I was getting eyeballed by some Neil Shehee and she had a bit of a Doug Weight problem. A real Jamie McCowan. I thought to myself; I can't stoop this Patrick Marleau. She wanted to take off, and I wasn't sticking around for the ugly lights to come on, so I paid the Rick Tabaracci and hopped into a Thomas Kaberle. I took her back to my Phil Housley where things got a little hot and steamy. She geared down and not to my surprise, her Cary Takko was a bit Mike Ricci and Jason Wooley. I decided she needed a Bill Barber, pulled out my Donald Brashear's and shaved her down to the Randy Wood. She then proceeded to trim my Harry Snepts and around my Saku Koivu. I reacted quickly and popped her Don Cherry, but she was to Ken Dryden, so I flipped her over, grabbed my Hakan Loob and threw it in her Dustin Brown with no Ty Domi. She soon started to complain she was to Marty McSorley to go on, so I snapped, quickly showed her the Daryl Sydor, and told her maybe I'll call her Brendan Morrow, needless to say she was Grant Fuhrious. The next morning I had the worst Darren Puppa, and I was Valeri Zelepukin all day. Two weeks later, I noticed a little Travis Green coming out of my Mike Babcock so I book an appointment with doctor Randy Gregg to get a Corey Schwab. But this isn't the end of the story, a month later I woke up and saw a little Garth Snow outside, the weatherman said there was a 30% chance of a Theo Fleury. My car wouldn't start so I had to borrow my roommates. It's not as Chris Osgood as mine, and it takes a Roberto Luongo time to start. When I went into his room to get the keys there was that same Rick Brodsky with my roomate. She was sucking on his Mike Peca while Esa Tikkanen his temperature with her finger. I said Buddy, don't do it, that Butch Goering has the fans clapping.

What the hell did I just read?

The oilers management needs to realize it is no longer the 1980's and no one gives a crap that they had a dynasty 30 years ago. Their fans are stupid for still attending games.

Pretty much. Look how fast the Canucks ownership canned Gillis when they saw their ticket sales plummetting.

Archived