The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Dallas Eakins has been fired, MacTavish appoints himself new coach

AriGold

Coach after coach filters through Edmonton, even the Mighty Quinn. Should not really increase Mac T's work load as Lowe is still the closet GM anyway.

This disaster could not be more complete unless they brought Messier in as interim GM. No, even better, would be Messier as coach!

MacT is actually a solid guy behind the bench. I truly think if there IS a turn around to the Oilers season this is it.

Added, MacT as the GM will now be bench side during games and will see first hand who is and is not expendable and I expect some serious changes win or lose by the trade deadline or draft day.

The big 4 is no longer safe nor assured that easy pay cheque I think

"I'll walk!"

I don't disagree with his termination but this looks more like a case of Edmonton's upper management attempting to save their own necks. With a revolving door for Oilers HC, I'm not at all sold with the issues being blamed on coaching but from top to bottom, everyone needs to be held accountable. (IMO)

You can't really believe this? Their problems are shared throughout and he is the guy in charge behind the bench....it's definitely part of his job to identify/correct problems and, if nothing more, he's failed to do so.

While true that he is "part" of the problem, I'd say on the list of problems the Oilers have, Eakins was not at the top of it. This is a team that, despite going through numerous coaches, they fail to improve. At a certain point, something else has to give. Simply changing coaches isn't going to improve the team. And while Eakins certainly didn't seem like he had things under control, neither did any of the other coaches they've had over the years. The only coach that improved the team's standing, while slightly, was Kruger, then they fired him.

Eakins may not have been the right fit for the Oilers, but I think it's safe to say that Babcock wouldn't improve the team as it is right now. Far deeper problems going on there.

You can't really believe this? Their problems are shared throughout and he is the guy in charge behind the bench....it's definitely part of his job to identify/correct problems and, if nothing more, he's failed to do so.

Just like Torts. And, if our season were to play out like last year, of course Willie would be part of the problem not the solution. Which a coach is relied upon to be in the end.....part of the solution.

So glad we didn't have some of our membership hire this guy as our coach as they were screaming for. Good sense prevailed in the organization and we steered clear of him.

To be honest, I actually believe it. The Oilers are so bad, no coach can help them. I guess they've been so bad that I don't really know what can help them. Eakins may be a small fraction of their problems, but by no means is the product on the ice going to change by an ounce.

They can hire whichever HC they want, but they gotta clean the rest of the house and make bold decisions if they wanna get better. They can't ice the same core year after year, lottery pick after lottery pick.

I know they missed the playoffs but what was wrong with Krueger?

I wonder if MacT & Co made this move after seeing that Paul MacLean was recently let go by the Oilers and he is a potential target as a replacement soon or for next season. I can't see MacT staying on for longer than the rest of the year.

Curious who gets hired first Eakins or Tortorella (for a coaching gig). I do think Edmonton would get a bit better under Tortorella simply because they would play better D than what that weird system that Eakins had

Lol he has nothing to do with their problems

If you watch the oilers on a regular basis you will start to notice how unbelievably bad Dallas Eakins is at coaching hockey.

Mac T on the other hand is an excellent coach and this is the right move. Mac T took far less talented teams to the playoffs during his coaching days.

I'm not saying the Oilers will turn around but they should see some structure now.

To be honest, I actually believe it. The Oilers are so bad, no coach can help them. I guess they've been so bad that I don't really know what can help them. Eakins may be a small fraction of their problems, but by no means is the product on the ice going to change by an ounce.

They can hire whichever HC they want, but they gotta clean the rest of the house and make bold decisions if they wanna get better. They can't ice the same core year after year, lottery pick after lottery pick.

I don't know....seems that some groups tend to tune out the coaches and that's where a coach who doesn't allow for it can take charge of the situation. Have to be strong/good to make a failure into a success...not everyone's got the ability to do so. But I do think that a coach is the first in the line of fire, as the guy who has the most direct contact with the players who are failing to get thing done. That it reflects back to the coach in a shared thing. That you start there as it's doable (wherein getting rid of players is a bit more complex - can't simply "fire/replace" them like you can a coach).

Does anyone else think they need Torts/someone like Torts sort of?

Keep the young guys accountable and rewards them or they sit in the box, hard-nosed system, although they may not respond well to the yelling/trying to light a fire.

I just dont know anymore, its just sad in Edmonton and has been for awhile

Archived