The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks' biggest weakness

Jam126

From what I'm seeing in the Canucks lately, they looked very competitive, confident and focused against elite teams like Chicago, St Louis, NY Rangers. But against the basement dwellers they look lost, relaxed and laid back. This is very well a mental issue underestimating a team like Buffalo or Arizona. I think that this is the biggest weakness the Canucks have for the remainder of the season. What do you think is their biggest weakness?

Biggest weakness: Age

The Sedins are great for 34 year-olds. And Vrbata and Burrows are very good for 33 year-olds. But if your best forwards are 33+ you are in trouble. At that age guys will more off-nights and more slow starts. And it takes longer to recovery from extreme exertion. Nothing against these guys, it is just a fact of aging. The Sedins with Burrows or Vrbata would be an all-world second line if the Canucks had high-end players in their prime ( about 25-31) able to play on the first line.

And next year the Sedins, Vrabta and Burrows will still be the best forwards. The team needs more really end talent -- guys who can play on first line. That means the draft.

Win against the good teams and lose against the bad teams? Sounds good in the playoffs

Exactly, I have no problem if they keep it up since we're not going to face any bottom dwellers in the playoffs. As long as they step it up in the playoffs because other teams certainly will

Hey guys!!! are you enjoying your Weber? Remember when the Canucks' had a chance to give Bobby Sanguinetti a chance, but decided to play your beloved Weber. Mark my words, by not giving Bobby Sang a fair chance, Canucks simply failed at getting a real talented D-men at their back end.

What's is that you guys say? Defence fail at making quick passes. Well Bobby Sanguinetti would of been that guy that would of helped this team defensively and offensively because he could of played on the PP.

Btw he scored in the shootout and in the game last night. For those critics, go look at his goal in the Utica thread because it was a perfect shot.

You want to know the biggest weakness with this team; It's giving players who play like crap seniority over guys who are deserving. Torts learned the hard way and Wille D is going to learn the same way it seems.

The Sedins are great for 34 year-olds. And Vrbata and Burrows are very good for 33 year-olds. But if your best forwards are 33+ you are in trouble. At that age guys will more off-nights and more slow starts. And it takes longer to recovery from extreme exertion. Nothing against these guys, it is just a fact of aging. The Sedins with Burrows or Vrbata would be an all-world second line if the Canucks had high-end players in their prime ( about 25-31) able to play on the first line.

And next year the Sedins, Vrabta and Burrows will still be the best forwards. The team needs more really end talent -- guys who can play on first line. That means the draft.

A team would need to be mighty good to have the Sedins as second line. Henrik is tied for 10th overall among all centers, 8 points behind the leader. He's also tied for 3rd with Crosby for assists among all players. Daniel is tied for 5th overall among all left wingers, 11 points behind Ovechkin. Pretty unrealistic to classify them as second line players.

A team would need to be mighty good to have the Sedins as second line. Henrik is tied for 10th overall among all centers, 8 points behind the leader. He's also tied for 3rd with Crosby for assists among all players. Daniel is tied for 5th overall among all left wingers, 11 points behind Ovechkin. Pretty unrealistic to classify them as second line players.

Exactly. Canucks fans have been so spoiled by the Canucks dominating the NHL offensively during our "glory seasons" from 2010-2012. Yes, the Sedins might never be 100 point players again but how many 100 point players are there in the NHL? They're both scoring at almost a PPG pace and if that doesn't scream first liner then I don't know what does.

Scoring around the NHL has been going down the past few years. I read an article recently (can't find it) about how this year's Art Ross winner might have the lowest PPG numbers in NHL history. Right now there's nine players who are playing at a PPG average. Guys like Toews, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux, Nash, Perry, Thornton, Couture, Kopitar and Zetterberg don't have a PPG average. Is anyone calling them second liners?

Not every team can be like Pittsburgh and have Crosby/Malkin as their top two centres. We were extremely lucky to have Kesler putting up 75+ points for two years from the second line.

Both the Sedins are in top 20 in NHL scoring. What else do they have to do to get the respect that they deserve? Yes, they are aging but they are still elite and are amongst the best in the NHL at scoring. If Canucks fans think this isn't enough then it'll be incredibly difficult for our young players to meet their expectations.

TL;DR: Enjoy the Sedins while you can Canucks fans. They are still two of the best offensive players in the NHL and after they retire we won't have anything like that anytime soon.

I'd say the mental game, as the OP threw out... We ARE a good team when we want to... but we're also a lousy team, when we don't give a da*n...

Also... right now, our weakness is in goal... Millers win % is approx 65, and Lack/Markstrom has 40% (including Lacks starts before the Miller injury). Without Miller I fear we won't make it to the playoffs... I do hope I'm wrong though, but it doesn't look good. A lot of fans (especially in CDC) has brutally underestimated Millers impact for the team.

Yeah. Unfortunately the Canucks are a new top line away from being very good lol.

What I mean by that is...the day the sedins are your legit second line, or third line and second PP unit, they will have another shot at an open window with this group. You know, like yzerman and sakic both did in their most recent cup wins.

On paper we had a lot more to give but the twins looked tired, some of our returning players looked rusty and our rookies along with guys like Dorsett, Matthias, Weber Sbisa and Hamhuis, who have all carried the load look like they are jaded and need a decent rest.

I'd say the mental game, as the OP threw out... We ARE a good team when we want to... but we're also a lousy team, when we don't give a da*n...

Also... right now, our weakness is in goal... Millers win % is approx 65, and Lack/Markstrom has 40% (including Lacks starts before the Miller injury). Without Miller I fear we won't make it to the playoffs... I do hope I'm wrong though, but it doesn't look good. A lot of fans (especially in CDC) has brutally underestimated Millers impact for the team.

Totally agree. It has sickened me the way Miller was disrespected on here. Even in Rogers they make it plain they don't value him like they do Eddy.

Archived