The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your idea of a perfect draft weekend

DeNiro

Just wanna hear some peoples opinions on what they think Benning needs to do next weekend to have a successful draft.

Whether it be trading Lack or Markstrom for picks, trading Bieksa/Hamhuis/Higgins/Hansen, drafting a D-man or a forward? Or something else altogether?

What would be your dream scenario for the Canucks next weekend? Try and keep it as realistic as possible ;)

Honestly , as many vets moved as possible to move up in the draft and/or aquire picks , and move miller (Won't happen)

Draft highest available d man And keep our late first for a sniper

Well.. you made what I was going to say easy..

Exactly what Cuporbust says..

Hoping Lack gets moved for a second round pick that we can use on a quality defenseman. We draft a strong forward with a nack for goals. Take a defenseman in the second round. Really not asking for much. Hoping some trades go on in the league that are actually interesting. Also looking at some 6th 7th rounders and hoping they steal some guys from there too. I wanna know Benning can take those picks seriously because even the lowest pick can yield a quality player.

Just wanna hear some peoples opinions on what they think Benning needs to do next weekend to have a successful draft.

Whether it be trading Lack or Markstrom for picks, trading Bieksa/Hamhuis/Higgins/Hansen, drafting a D-man or a forward? Or something else altogether?

What would be your dream scenario for the Canucks next weekend? Try and keep it as realistic as possible ;)

I'll bite.

Kind of possible dream scenario:

Lack, Hansen, Kassian, Bieska, Jensen, Corrado for one of the 6, 7, 8, or 9th overall picks and draft Barzal or Provorov.

Draft Kylington at 23.

Impossible dream scenario:

Move Miller for whatever (even if it means retaining a small cap hit)

Move Sbisa for whatever.

Hoping Lack gets moved for a second round pick that we can use on a quality defenseman. We draft a strong forward with a nack for goals. Take a defenseman in the second round. Really not asking for much. Hoping some trades go on in the league that are actually interesting. Also looking at some 6th 7th rounders and hoping they steal some guys from there too. I wanna know Benning can take those picks seriously because even the lowest pick can yield a quality player.

So if we were to draft say Boeser and Dunn or Larsson you'd be happy?

1. Must Happen. Move a goalie for a 2nd pick. Draft a defenseman in 1st round. That little would work for me.
  2. Nice to happen. Move a defenseman (Bieksa or Hamhuis) for a good pick. This would help with the cap and draft. I suspect that if it is Bieksa, he will not go without his extension so it will happen after July 1 so the pick would be next year.
  3. In Free Agency. Pick up a mid priced physical D.

I won't be satisfied unless he moves Bieksa and Higgins for decent returns. But the perfect weekend would be moving both of those guys and a goalie for good picks, 2nds likely, or prospects.

If we can shed salary from the right places and come away with 4 or 5 solid prospects it will be a perfect weekend. Realistically..

i'ld like to see benning make the moves he feels fits his plans for the future....and that he doesn't read cdc to get his planned moves...

Nobodies forcing you to respond.

I think it will be interesting to compare peoples scenarios to what actually happens when all is said and done.

Lack to Buffalo for 31st overall draft - Boeser/Dunn/Kylington(if there, have a feeling rangers will take him at 27 tho)

Draft Carlo at 23 with our pick unless theres a major player that drops (like the 2 Russian forwards who I think will be great)

Trade Bieksa for a 2nd round pick draft - Pilon

Higgins for a 3rd - Draft BPA

Archived