The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller Still Be Considered #1? (Article)

Luongo4life14

(SEE ARTICLE BELOW IN SECOND POST)

Markstrom's stock just keeps rising don't you think? I mean Miller just doesn't play like a $6 million goalie:

I do some writing for The Hockey Writers and recently published this article. Would love the CDC reaction to my thoughts. All opinions expressed in the article are of my own and not indicative of THW as a whole. 

Some preface.... I am not a Miller fan, never have been. I can't understand what the management or fan base sees in him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-miller-returned-but-canucks-struggled-immensely/

post the article in the op thread so its not just click bate for that website, if you want us to read it.

here is the article:

Under-performing. That’s the word that could sum up Ryan Miller’s play thus far in the 2015-16 season… and really for his entire one and a half year tenure as the Canucks goaltender. Ryan Miller returned to the Canucks lineup for the first time since December 20th, 2015. He’d missed six games with a groin injury. He’d even sidelined himself a few times this year due to general soreness as well. Not a good sign that his health is where it needs to be.

It’s surprising that the Canucks elected to go with Miller against the Capitals after Jacob Markstrom has gone 5-3 in his last eight starts. In those eight games he’s posted a .930 save percentage and has surrendered just 18 goals (2.25 GAA). Those are impressive statistics. Especially for a Canucks squad that has struggled immensely in their own end. The Canucks defensive game is like hearing nails on a chalk board.

On the contrary Miller’s stats have been pretty gruesome as of late. In this instance late can encompass his last year and a half. When he made his first start since before Christmas (against the Washington Capitals) on Thursday night he was coming off a stretch of 18 games played where he’d won just six times. In addition to a 6-12 record he’d conceded 54 goals against during that time and had collected a .902 save percentage since November 1st, 2015. Phew. It’s not pretty in Miller’s corner right now.

Well, redemption wasn’t in the cards for Miller as he faced another shelling and subsequently another failure. To be fair Miller had to face 39 shots against one of the most explosive forward groups in the NHL, and he did a decent job by stopping 36 of 39. But Once again Miller wasn’t able to make the big saves when he needed to. In fact when Karl Alzner netted the Capitals second goal of the game Miller was visibly frustrated at his own players, but had only himself to blame for not making a stop on a slapshot from the point with no traffic in front.

Six Million Dollar Man Is Facing Extinction

Once again Vancouver has stumbled upon a goalie controversy. But for the first time since Luongo arrived in Vancouver in 2006 the logical response is as clear as can be. Oddly enough the team seems to be going in the opposite direction of logic…again. When the team vouched for Cory Schneider over Luongo… it made sense. When the team traded Schneider in favor of Luongo…it made sense. When Eddie Lack dethroned Luongo it was surprising but… it made sense. It wasn’t until Jim Benning signed the then 34-year-old Ryan Miller to a three year-$18 million contract that it began to be ridiculous…especially with Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom in the mix with Thatcher Demko a ways down the timeline. Now of course some fans and analysts would argue that Eddie Lack was never starting material and they’d reference his current struggles with Carolina. However it could be argued that both amount of playing time and locale play a significant role in the morale of a player. Perhaps Lack lost touch with himself being sent to one of the NHL’s worst followed markets.

But that’s history and now the Canucks are now stuck with a $6 million cap hit from Miller until the end of the 2016-17 season and without a miracle it seems like Miller’s play will continue to decline. That being the case it doesn’t make much sense to keep Miller in many games. Just because the management made a massive mistake by handing an over-the-hill goalie close to $20 million doesn’t mean you have to play him. In fact it might give Benning, Linden and the rest of the management crew some brownie points if they ate crow and dressed Miller as a back up for the remainder of the season.

If the team is focusing on the future and the youth in the organization than Markstrom is the place holder between Luongo and Demko (if he turns out to be as promising as he seems).

Miller Returned, Canucks Need To Maintain Desperation

The Pacific Division standings can be a bit misleading. The Canucks are currently only one point out of a wild card position and tied with San Jose for the third Pacific Division seed. Meanwhile the only teams in the NHL with less wins than the Canucks (17) are Toronto (16) and Columbus (16). So parity could be playing a role here. But it could also be that the Pacific Division is so weak that a team like the Canucks will have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs despite one of the franchise’s worst seasons in over a decade.

So maybe having Miller in net is a good thing. The Canucks haven’t been given much comfort by their goaltenders this year (besides Markstrom’s recent eight game stretch) and maybe that’s a good thing. Without the pleasure of knowing that your goaltender has it covered the players might be more inclined to play a systematic game…which with the current Canucks roster is the only way to stay competitive.

So really Miller’s return is kind of a big deal.

It may not seem like it but having Miller back between the pipes is a big moment for the Canucks. The team has gotten to roster a lineup that really showcases some of their future stars in the last little stretch of games. Markstrom’s time in net has proven productive for both he individually and the Canucks as a team.

When Miller returned against the league leading Washington Capitals on Thursday night it had a simple effect on the hockey world, it proved that he can no longer compete in the NHL… at least not in Vancouver. Miller was never meant for the Pacific Division and the longer the Canucks try to force the situation the more uncomfortable it’s going to feel.

1 minute ago, Toni Zamboni said:

post the article in the op thread so its not just click bate for that website, if you want us to read it.

Agree.  Please paste the text in your post - not really appropriate to be using CDC to stream people to your material on another site.

I do agree that Miller should not be our sole #1, but however I don't believe Markstrom should be considered our #1 yet either. At this point in time I personally don't believe Markstrom can handle the load of 70+ games in a season, although Ryan Miller has shown us he is unable to as well. I believe Jacob is the stronger goalie, and has much more potential, and in the next 1-2 seasons will be our uncontested #1.

Without reading it however, I do think Markstrom is looking like a future NHL starter, that GMJB's assessment was bang on - watching him through the AHL season and Calder run last year - and I have more confidence in him at this point that Miller.

Jacob simply has a more modern game.  He's bigger, he stays in position, his economy of movement is tighter, and he's blessed with great athleticism when he needs to supplement that solid base and positioning that is fundamental to his game.

He's a pleasure to watch.   Prototypical modern goaltender - and to top it off, he seems to have really developed excellent mental toughness and poise to go with his physical gifts. 

Future is bright.  I look at it as a tandem at this point.  Miller's ego may not like that, but by performance, that's the reality imo, and may even flatter him to consider him Markstrom's equal.

11 minutes ago, Luongo4life14 said:

Markstrom's stock just keeps rising don't you think? I mean Miller just doesn't play like a $6 million goalie:

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-miller-returned-but-canucks-struggled-immensely/

I do some writing for The Hockey Writers and recently published this article. Would love the CDC reaction to my thoughts. All opinions expressed in the article are of my own and not indicative of THW as a whole. 

Some preface.... I am not a Miller fan, never have been. I can't understand what the management or fan base sees in him.

Just read it. Great article. I totally agree with the fact that Miller is done. He should be, as you said in the article, relegated to back up duties for the remainder of the season. Benning has given McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, and Biega nice long looks based on their performances, the same should be applied to how great Markstrom has been.

He is, by far, the better goalie on the Canucks roster, and should be given the starting position. It makes perfect sense. And then they can offload Miller to a desperate team, and hopefully Benning never makes such a horrible acquisition ever again.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Without reading it however, I do think Markstrom is looking like a future NHL starter, that GMJB's assessment was bang on - watching him through the AHL season and Calder run last year - and I have more confidence in him at this point that Miller.

Jacob simply has a more modern game.  He's bigger, he stays in position, his economy of movement is tighter, and he's blessed with great athleticism when he needs to supplement that solid base and positioning that is fundamental to his game.

He's a pleasure to watch.   Prototypical modern goaltender - and to top it off, he seems to have really developed excellent mental toughness and poise to go with his physical gifts. 

Future is bright.  I look at it as a tandem at this point.  Miller's ego may not like that, but by performance, that's the reality imo, and may even flatter him to consider him Markstrom's equal.

Well said. When JB stated that he thought Markstrom still has the potential to be an elite netminder, I was shocked, but not any more. 

To think we have Demko just a couple steps behind in the pipeline! You said it first, the future is looking bright.

Just now, SwedeHockey said:

Well said. When JB stated that he thought Markstrom still has the potential to be an elite netminder, I was shocked, but not any more. 

To think we have Demko just a couple steps behind in the pipeline! You said it first, the future is looking bright.

I was somewhat shocked when Florida included him in the Luongo deal.  People made some pretty dense and premature assumptions based upon extremely small sample playing behing depleted post deadline Panthers teams, but I think it was pretty clear that Jacob with some time, and with some time to work with RM on tweaking his game, could become a franchise goaltender.  I'd do that deal all over again.

You state you are not a Miller fan then this article is a wash. 1. There is no controversy 2. Markstrome has faired no better 3 Goal-tending is the least of our problems.

Please do not write anymore articles. Did you even watch the video you posted??? Anyone who says he is done is a person who would trade away a whole team on a roll of dice...

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I was somewhat shocked when Florida included him in the Luongo deal.  People made some pretty dense and premature assumptions based upon extremely small sample playing behing depleted post deadline Panthers teams, but I think it was pretty clear that Jacob with some time, and with some time to work with RM on tweaking his game, could become a franchise goaltender.  I'd do that deal all over again.

Having seen what Markstrom has turned into the last 8 or so games, I would too. The only complaint, is that we didn't get a pick/prospect. Instead we got Matthais. 

Miller is not done - but he is facing a stiff battle for starts.

Interesting read:

Jacob Markstrom changed Vancouver Canucks’ goaltending landscape while Ryan Miller was injured

278d2297a1acd6e1004b87e7d940f3d9?s=34&d=

Iain MacIntyre | January 14, 2016 | Last Updated: Jan 15 10:27 AM ET
More from Iain MacIntyre

In eight games after Miller was hurt, Jacob Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate.
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl DyckIn eight games after Miller was hurt, Jacob Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — It’s not quite like he left the crease a starter and is returning as a backup, but Ryan Miller knows the landscape changed in the three weeks while he was injured. Jacob Markstrom altered it.

Miller is still the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 goalie. He was pledged US$18-million over three years by general manager Jim Benning before last season to fill that role, and both he and Benning plan, at this point, to see it through.

But Markstrom elevated his status in the eight games he started after Miller, bizarrely, injured his groin Dec. 20 in Sunrise, Fla., while suffering leg cramps as he tried to stop Brandon Pirri in a shootout.

Markstrom, who missed the first month of the season with a hamstring injury, started only six times in six weeks before Miller was hurt.

Play
0:00
/
0:00

Fullscreen
Mute

But in the eight games since, Markstrom is 5-2-1 with a 2.21 goals-against average and .927 save rate. In his last four starts, Miller posted a GAA of 4.23 and save rate of .881.

Markstrom’s sample size is far too small to make any sweeping declarations about his future in the National Hockey League after he struggled for five years to parlay minor-league stardom into even semi-regular NHL duty. But those eight games were enough for Canucks coach Willie Desjardins to admit the backup goalie has elevated himself and earned the organization’s confidence.

Desjardins has hinted a couple of times what a lot of people have thought for a while: to get the best out of the 35-year-old Miller while developing the 25-year-old Markstrom, the starter has to play less and the backup more.

“I think that’s fine,” Miller said before the Canucks travelled here to open another marathon survival test, six road games in 9½ days, starting Thursday night against the league-leading Washington Capitals.

“I want to have energy and I want to compete. The way the NHL is and the way our schedule has been, it’s hard to keep the energy really high.”

Desjardins said Wednesday that Miller will likely start Thursday night. With the Canucks also playing Friday in Carolina, expect Markstrom to get the Hurricanes.

After that, we’ll see.

Miller happily backed up Markstrom the last two games, forsaking playing time for the chance to fully practise and work on his timing.

It’s something Miller values more now after rushing back last season from a sprained knee to be available for the playoffs.

“Last year, trying to squeeze in that last (regular-season) game against Edmonton, my timing wasn’t great,” Miller said. “Then, the practices after that, I felt good. I’m trying to learn from that situation.

Claus Andersen/Getty Images
Claus Andersen/Getty ImagesRyan Miller is still the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 goalie.

“This is a new one for me. My conversation with the coaches, once I felt a little bit better, was: ‘I want to get my timing back and contribute because we’ve got quite a battle going (in the standings) and I want to be ready.’ ”

Asked if he thinks Markstrom has earned the right to keep starting, Miller said: “That’s not my call, but he’s been playing great hockey. Good for him, because he’s had his ups and downs (in the NHL). Last year, he made a great stride forward. I know he was frustrated to be injured at the start of the season when we were just starting out. For him, this is a big positive. For me, I just want to get back in the mix and start contributing.”

After Markstrom hurt his hamstring taking shots at the end of the Canucks’ final pre-season practice, Miller started Vancouver’s first 10 games and played 14 of the first 15. The consequence of that overuse seems apparent in Miller’s monthly splits: In October, his save rate was .923 and GAA 2.16; in November, his numbers collapsed to .898 and 2.96. In December he got hurt. And this was before the Canucks felt the full weight of their torturous schedule.

Vancouver had a seven-game roadie in November, a six-gamer in December, and now a six-game January trip that also takes them to play the Rangers and Islanders in New York, the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.

Toss in another four-gamer at the end of November, and the Canucks went through a stretch where they played 17 out of 23 on the road.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan HaywardWith the Canucks also playing Friday in Carolina, expect Markstrom to get the Hurricanes.

The organization needs to seriously reassess its willingness to front-load its schedule with travel and extend trips in the eastern time zone, reasoning that the hardest part is just getting there.

“The hardest part is, I just expected more homestands, and we haven’t had anything this year,” Miller said.

“You look around the league and our road trips have been pretty tough and pretty long. Maybe you can source (injuries) back to those situations. I try to prepare myself the best I can in those situations, but you’re not feeling good, and maybe your body’s not perfectly aligned because you’ve been travelling and sleeping in different beds. I cramped up (in Florida) and I got myself in a situation where something had to give.”

Miller emphasized that this injury wasn’t nearly as serious as the torn knee ligaments that caused him to miss six weeks and 22 games late last season. But for the second time in nine months, he’s trying to regain timing, confidence and his place in the net.

“Things happen,” he said. “It’s the same way you approach a game. If you get scored on, you keep competing. It’s the same situation with an injury. Every injury is an opportunity to learn about yourself.”

And for somebody else to play, and have others learn about that guy.

Miller is absolutely number one. His play has declined but Markstrom has not proven that he can be the guy yet. He's had good games but so did Lack. I think the Canucks would do better increasing Markstrom's playing time and give Miller more rest. Both goaltenders can remain fresh also improve Miller's durabulity.

Under-performing. That’s the word that could sum up Ryan Miller’s play thus far in the 2015-16 season… and really for his entire one and a half year tenure as the Canucks goaltender. 

Was last year such a disappointment?

He had a couple injuries that kept him from playing a full season but just for giggles let's check his projected Stat line to another #1 goalie.

Now I don't want to cherry pick an easy target so let's just pick the Vezina winner. Carey price played 66 games and Ryan played 45, let's see what Ryans stats projected to be for a 66 game season.

Carey price dominated the league with 44 wins in 66 games. Miller was on pace for 43 wins. We can all agree that the Canadians were a much better team last year. Imagine if miller wasn't "underperforming"

Carey price had 9 shutouts in 66 games, no wonder he won the Vezina. That is amazing!  Miller was on pace to put up 9 shutouts in 66 games. Once again behind an inferior team... but yeah he's a bum.

Miller is slowly degrading and I would be hesitant to see him be our starter next season, but at the same time I don't think that Marky would be able to handle the pressure of being our starter because he's still fairly young and is gradually gaining experience. I was very impressed with how he played while Miller was injured, but right now our goalie situation is a little wonky with regards to what the next season will look like. I think time will tell what will happen with the goalies. For now let's just appreciate what the two guys have to offer the team. Miller has lots of experience and Marky has improved a lot since last season, so each one brings their own stuff to the table. Yes, they're not the greatest goalies in the league, but I think that our defence is more of a problem right now than goaltending.

49 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

here is the article:

Under-performing. That’s the word that could sum up Ryan Miller’s play thus far in the 2015-16 season… and really for his entire one and a half year tenure as the Canucks goaltender. Ryan Miller returned to the Canucks lineup for the first time since December 20th, 2015. He’d missed six games with a groin injury. He’d even sidelined himself a few times this year due to general soreness as well. Not a good sign that his health is where it needs to be.

It’s surprising that the Canucks elected to go with Miller against the Capitals after Jacob Markstrom has gone 5-3 in his last eight starts. In those eight games he’s posted a .930 save percentage and has surrendered just 18 goals (2.25 GAA). Those are impressive statistics. Especially for a Canucks squad that has struggled immensely in their own end. The Canucks defensive game is like hearing nails on a chalk board.

On the contrary Miller’s stats have been pretty gruesome as of late. In this instance late can encompass his last year and a half. When he made his first start since before Christmas (against the Washington Capitals) on Thursday night he was coming off a stretch of 18 games played where he’d won just six times. In addition to a 6-12 record he’d conceded 54 goals against during that time and had collected a .902 save percentage since November 1st, 2015. Phew. It’s not pretty in Miller’s corner right now.

Well, redemption wasn’t in the cards for Miller as he faced another shelling and subsequently another failure. To be fair Miller had to face 39 shots against one of the most explosive forward groups in the NHL, and he did a decent job by stopping 36 of 39. But Once again Miller wasn’t able to make the big saves when he needed to. In fact when Karl Alzner netted the Capitals second goal of the game Miller was visibly frustrated at his own players, but had only himself to blame for not making a stop on a slapshot from the point with no traffic in front.

Six Million Dollar Man Is Facing Extinction

Once again Vancouver has stumbled upon a goalie controversy. But for the first time since Luongo arrived in Vancouver in 2006 the logical response is as clear as can be. Oddly enough the team seems to be going in the opposite direction of logic…again. When the team vouched for Cory Schneider over Luongo… it made sense. When the team traded Schneider in favor of Luongo…it made sense. When Eddie Lack dethroned Luongo it was surprising but… it made sense. It wasn’t until Jim Benning signed the then 34-year-old Ryan Miller to a three year-$18 million contract that it began to be ridiculous…especially with Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom in the mix with Thatcher Demko a ways down the timeline. Now of course some fans and analysts would argue that Eddie Lack was never starting material and they’d reference his current struggles with Carolina. However it could be argued that both amount of playing time and locale play a significant role in the morale of a player. Perhaps Lack lost touch with himself being sent to one of the NHL’s worst followed markets.

But that’s history and now the Canucks are now stuck with a $6 million cap hit from Miller until the end of the 2016-17 season and without a miracle it seems like Miller’s play will continue to decline. That being the case it doesn’t make much sense to keep Miller in many games. Just because the management made a massive mistake by handing an over-the-hill goalie close to $20 million doesn’t mean you have to play him. In fact it might give Benning, Linden and the rest of the management crew some brownie points if they ate crow and dressed Miller as a back up for the remainder of the season.

If the team is focusing on the future and the youth in the organization than Markstrom is the place holder between Luongo and Demko (if he turns out to be as promising as he seems).

Miller Returned, Canucks Need To Maintain Desperation

The Pacific Division standings can be a bit misleading. The Canucks are currently only one point out of a wild card position and tied with San Jose for the third Pacific Division seed. Meanwhile the only teams in the NHL with less wins than the Canucks (17) are Toronto (16) and Columbus (16). So parity could be playing a role here. But it could also be that the Pacific Division is so weak that a team like the Canucks will have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs despite one of the franchise’s worst seasons in over a decade.

So maybe having Miller in net is a good thing. The Canucks haven’t been given much comfort by their goaltenders this year (besides Markstrom’s recent eight game stretch) and maybe that’s a good thing. Without the pleasure of knowing that your goaltender has it covered the players might be more inclined to play a systematic game…which with the current Canucks roster is the only way to stay competitive.

So really Miller’s return is kind of a big deal.

It may not seem like it but having Miller back between the pipes is a big moment for the Canucks. The team has gotten to roster a lineup that really showcases some of their future stars in the last little stretch of games. Markstrom’s time in net has proven productive for both he individually and the Canucks as a team.

When Miller returned against the league leading Washington Capitals on Thursday night it had a simple effect on the hockey world, it proved that he can no longer compete in the NHL… at least not in Vancouver. Miller was never meant for the Pacific Division and the longer the Canucks try to force the situation the more uncomfortable it’s going to feel.

"Failure....extinction....gruesome....controversy..."

Blah, blah.  

Weak, heavy-handed writing - that fits well in the Vancouver media climate - akin to a  dramatic resume for tabloids like the Province.  Looks like someone wants to be a colleague of Botchford.

Not surprised the OP failed to edit and paste this content - the writing has a distinct "click-bait" m.o. to it.

Archived