The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Montreal is definitely interested in a Canuck

Boddy604

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I'm sure Montreal is desperate enough to go after Vrbata and Burrows.... why not make a package to shake things up for both teams? We'll take Eller and Petry from them... but they must also take Weber! Sounds like a fair deal... and most importantly for us, we gotta save a bit of $ and create another roster spot for our youth movement!

Montreal gets seriously victimized on that trade lol. Bergevin just said he won't sacrifice the clubs future for a short term fix. Beyond that. That tree actually makes them substantially worse lol 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yeah. Because Montreal is going to go into next season with $11.5m in cap tied up in goaltending. No chance of that happening. 

One - We could retain salary on Miller.

Two - They could trade him in the off season.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

One - We could retain salary on Miller.

Two - They could trade him in the off season.

Even retaining the max they still have $9.5m tied up in goaltending. Yeah. They could TRY to trade him. What if they can't. Bergevin isn't likely to take that risk 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Even retaining the max they still have $9.5m tied up in goaltending. Yeah. They could TRY to trade him. What if they can't. Bergevin isn't likely to take that risk 

Actually, I believe it would be $10. But they already have $9.3 with freaking Scrivens. Miller would be a SERIOUS upgrade for barely any cap/salary.

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I kinda feel like Montreal could have been looking at burrows. Salary retained obviously 

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.

Probably not Prust, as he didn't play. Although, with their current troubles, getting a "character guy" who was well-liked in the room back may be part of a potential deal too.

Vrbata or Burrows + Prust (50% retained on each) for Juulsen??? Plus maybe taking some cap back in Tom Gilbert? Only way that happens though is if they are confident that Price will be back for the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal gets seriously victimized on that trade lol. Bergevin just said he won't sacrifice the clubs future for a short term fix. Beyond that. That tree actually makes them substantially worse lol 

I beg to differ.... this trade allows them to make a playoff push with the experience they are getting.... how does it make them "substantially worse" when we are not getting exactly core players out of them??

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Miller 50% retained for Scrivens, Juulsen and a 1st in 2017? 

Heck, I'd do it for either Juulsen or the 1st. 

There could be something to that though. If they think Price is out for the year, and possibly needs to take it slower next year while re-habbing, Miller still gives them a shot now. And it's a better chance for him to win a cup before he's too damn old.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Actually, I believe it would be $10. But they already have $9.3 with freaking Scrivens. Miller would be a SERIOUS upgrade for barely any cap/salary.

Check your math. Price $6.5, Scrivens is $1.75 but is a UFA at seasons end. So if next year is Price and Condon like it should have been this year it's $7.25m 

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

According to Benning, there was lots of interest last summer. He's playing as good if not better this year with a shorter term. Don't see why there wouldn't be interest this summer

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I beg to differ.... this trade allows them to make a playoff push with the experience they are getting.... how does it make them "substantially worse" when we are not getting exactly core players out of them??

Petry is a very good 2nd pairing defenceman that Bergevin loves. Take him out and it crippled the defence. Especially with Markov slowing down substantially. Eller is a good, big young centre that can play wing and can play on the 2nd or third line. He's also signed to an affordable contract. At This point he's a lot better than Burrows, and Burrows is trending downward with term left on his contract. 

So if they make this deal their left with a substantial hole in their defence. A downgrade in their bottom 6 and a question mark in Vrbata who hasn't exactly been filling the net this season. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Check your math. Price $6.5, Scrivens is $1.75 but is a UFA at seasons end. So if next year is Price and Condon like it should have been this year it's $7.25m 

Sorry, was looking at salary, not cap hit. You're correct ;)

Still they pretty desperately need a starting goalie...

They're likely eyeing Vrbata. Though, I'd be happy if they took  Prust back. Or Weber. They can have Weber back too.

Though, if the Canucks are looking to make a trade with the Canadiens, I hope the Canadiens throw in Brett Lernout. The kid is a 6'4" d-man playing in the AHL at 19. He, Pedan, and Trymakin could really shore up the toughness depth on the Canucks blueline if he's thrown into any trade the Canadiens make with the Canucks this season.

39 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I'm sure Montreal is desperate enough to go after Vrbata and Burrows.... why not make a package to shake things up for both teams? We'll take Eller and Petry from them... but they must also take Weber! Sounds like a fair deal... and most importantly for us, we gotta save a bit of $ and create another roster spot for our youth movement!

Cap issues aside, which can be worked out, I previously suggested both Vrbata and Burrows could go to the Habs and I could see them having an interest in Miller also, especially if they know Price may be gone even longer than has been said. Who knows, I could see a good sized trade with the Habs, then maybe JB turns around and makes a deal for Erickson which includes a new deal.

It doesn't look like the Habs have placed Price on LTIR , so why not?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Why do people not think Hansen is trade bait?

Ohhh he's having a great productive year. great.  Except that he's not a top 6 player on any other team in the league.  he's an elite 3rd line player, capable of filling in top 6 duties.  he's Burrows 3 years ago.

Burrows whom we should have traded for a major return.  

Hansen was drafted in the 9th round, 287th overall!  Take thet wins away he's a 30+ point player solid PK in his best years.

He's worth a 1st + right now.  As such right now is the time to trade him if people are starting to make major offers on him.

Because even though we all love the honey badger, he's the exact kind of success story you cash in on, much like we should have done with Klatt, Cowan, Burrows, Carter and however many before that played with the twins and had their value hyper inflated.

And before you chime in with the "he's a great role model/leader" for the kids.  Stop.  Yes his hard work and amazing on ice work ethic is a treat to watch, if someone offers up a premium for a career 3rd line player you take it.

Spot on. Canucks have a habit of holding on to assets too long. NTC will do that I suppose, but if you have a chance to build for the future off of a player on a 'borrowed ladder' then you have to consider it depending on the return. Love the Honey Badger, but he seems to have just found his hands, is it sustainable? Not sure. 

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Montreals daniel Carr injured last night 

out 3 months with knee injury

i don't know what position or anything about the guy but there u go

Very solid undrafted rookie. Plays a game similar to Gallagher but he's a bit bigger. 5 goals , 8 points in 19 games with Montreal this season. He was taken into the boards awkwardly and it looked to be a knee injury

Archived