The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] It Sounds Like Hamhuis Would Be On Board For Whatever The Team Wants

Boddy604

27 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Good on Hamhuis. He understands the situation here with the youth movement. Trade him to Caps and resign him for one year in the offseason.

Yes, trade him for the best possible return.

NO!  Don't resign him.

5 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Sounds to me like Hamhuis is on board to stay or to go, with a preference to stay. But understands he may be asked to go. That's a good sign in determining if he even would waive his NTC if asked.

Or, he's just prepared to go to free agency if a deal can't be reached.

This isn't Hamhuis himself (or any legit hockey person we'd trust as a source) saying that he'd waive his NTC, but rather than you're thinking he might. That doesn't make it a report.

35 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Good on Hamhuis. He understands the situation here with the youth movement. Trade him to Caps and resign him for one year in the offseason.

I'm not sure we would resign him. With the surprise emergence of Ben Hutton, we have 3 LH D men in Edler, Hutton, and Sbisa but only 2 RH D men in Biega and Tanev (assuming Biega is resigned). We really need a 3rd right handed d man, Sbisa and Hutton is not a sustainable pairing.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Or, he's just prepared to go to free agency if a deal can't be reached.

This isn't Hamhuis himself (or any legit hockey person we'd trust as a source) saying that he'd waive his NTC, but rather than you're thinking he might. That doesn't make it a report.

Well it was a quote of Hamhuis's own words from an actual newspaper. Where exactly is that not from Hamhuis or a credible source?

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

Well it was a quote of Hamhuis's own words from an actual newspaper. Where exactly is that not from Hamhuis or a credible source?

To be fair, you were the one that speculated off his comments. His comments did not directly portray the message that you inferred from his comments.

With that said, there is some legitimacy since Hamhuis was the source of the inference.

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

To be fair, you were the one that speculated off his comments. His comments did not directly portray the message that you inferred from his comments.

With that said, there is some legitimacy since Hamhuis was the source of the inference.

Either way Benning won't be re-signing him.  He wants his money for free agency

6 hours ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

I thought he wouldn't be able to resign here if traded.   If  a player is traded at the deadline on an expiring contract, I believe the rules state he cannot resign with the team that traded him, thereby closing a loophole for teams wanting to build quick assests but keep their star veterans.

There is no such rule. Look no further than Antoine Vermette who was traded from the Coyotes to Chicago for a 1st round pick. Chicago ended up winning the cup and Vermette signed with the Coyotes for the next season.

6 hours ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

I thought he wouldn't be able to resign here if traded.   If  a player is traded at the deadline on an expiring contract, I believe the rules state he cannot resign with the team that traded him, thereby closing a loophole for teams wanting to build quick assests but keep their star veterans.

As others have said, there is no rule. 

UFA = unrestricted free agent

They can sign wherever they want. Great asset management tool for teams if they can take advantage of it. All's fair.

1 hour ago, Boddy604 said:

But Hamhuis didn't actually say or even suggest what you've put as the title of your thread.

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

OK, good, thought it might have just been my wording, but others got it.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

If we were to bring him back, then trade Edler.  Time for this D to get a rebuild.

could,nd agree more with this .if  hamhuis were to waive, maybe elder would consider as well, this guy looks like he could use a new start some where, else. there,s no game left in the guy .  he,s not that old . hopefully there,s some precedence set if hamhuis goes first.

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But Hamhuis didn't actually say or even suggest what you've put as the title of your thread.

Hamhuis is going at the TDL, and it's in a package deal with Gaunce.  That's an Alf4:lol:

44 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But what he did say (without actually saying it) is that he has not had contract negotiations or told that they want to keep him or else he'd know if they want him or not. If he's not getting resigned, he's going to be traded. My speculation was only that he'd be understanding with that. Which seems the case with his answer.

Look up Don Maloney PHX last trade deadline. 

Traded Michalek, Vermette and Yandle. Put the rebuild into warp drive, re signed Michalek and Vermette a couple of months later. Yandle will probably go back this summer as he had another year left on his contract. 

JB needs to do same. 

49 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

But what he did say (without actually saying it) is that he has not had contract negotiations or told that they want to keep him or else he'd know if they want him or not. If he's not getting resigned, he's going to be traded. My speculation was only that he'd be understanding with that. Which seems the case with his answer.

You're jumping to conclusions based on what you want to hear.  He could just as easily be retained for a potential playoff run.  You're taking a quote without any context and applying your own interpretation of what he said "without actually saying it" 

You did the same thing with your "Montreal definitely interested in a Canuck" thread.  You see 5 Montreal scouts at a Van game and automatically assume they want a Canuck player, ignoring any other possible explanation for their presence at the game.

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well Hamhuis 

We want to trade you for a premium watch you win a cup and sign you for a 5 year $3 million contract at seasons end

Get er done

And then a year into the contract complain about it and talk about how management is useless for signing you to such an inflated contract in the first place.

29 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You're jumping to conclusions based on what you want to hear.  He could just as easily be retained for a potential playoff run.  You're taking a quote without any context and applying your own interpretation of what he said "without actually saying it" 

You did the same thing with your "Montreal definitely interested in a Canuck" thread.  You see 5 Montreal scouts at a Van game and automatically assume they want a Canuck player, ignoring any other possible explanation for their presence at the game.

Am I though? Sure, we could keep him for a run to the playoffs then let him walk for nothing. And that would be a blunder on management's part for a team in the middle of a retool/rebuild. I never said he's going to be traded or anything. Just that his attitude seems like he's aware that's a possibility for him and he understands. If there had been talks of him being resigned, he wouldn't be saying "I don't know what their plan is" "maybe they want me, maybe they dont". It's the other thread referencing a trade to Washington, not this one.

49 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Look up Don Maloney PHX last trade deadline. 

Traded Michalek, Vermette and Yandle. Put the rebuild into warp drive, re signed Michalek and Vermette a couple of months later. Yandle will probably go back this summer as he had another year left on his contract. 

JB needs to do same. 

Excellent post displaying a true acceptance of our need to rebuild.  :frantic:::D::D:towel:

Archived