The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

16 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if players who sacrificed and had the talent to make it to the nhl and are called trash, what does that make us? what is that word? 

You are right. The word trash is harsh.  But at least try to take it in context...at least a little. 

You or I have nothing to do with this. The Canucks are an NHL team with a D core that simply is not NHL level. They have two aging high level 2nd pairing D (or one 1st pairing D I suppose in Edler).  After that they have a bunch of 3rd pairing D (some consider them 2nd pairing but the eye test doesn't show it). The Canucks D as a whole are one of the worst groups in the entire NHL and they have shown for a few years now they are incapable, as a group, at doing their jobs in a reasonable manner.

JB has failed to bring in reinforcements to help out Edler and Tanev (who are often injured themselves) for 5 years.  5 years is how long some people on here thought would be a reasonable time for an entire rebuild. Yet the D is still BAD. Yeah yeah....start the argument about when the rebuild began.

Regardless, JB has not done a good job in rebuilding this D core. Plain and simple. The pouliot experiment failed badly. Hutton and Stetcher are ok but on any other team they would be 3rd pairing (at most). I like Biega and his work ethic for an 8th D man. But we play him at 2nd pairing minutes? Come on....that is a failure on JBs part. Maybe the coaching has something to do with it. Pens fans are saying Guddy has not looked horrible there and that he just needed to play in a better system. But it is a very small sample size still (is green part of the problem?).

As for your statement "what does that make us?".  I have no idea what it makes you? Was your chosen profession to become a D man in the NHL? If so, and you never made it then.....

Edited by Kanukfanatic

With the game now being played at hyper light speed, smaller D men, like Biega, who can really skate, and have good aerobic capacity can play a regular shift.  I think Biega will be in our top 6 next season, out of camp.

EK - Stecher

Hughes - Hutton

Biega - OJ

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on Biega by PITB. Is Biega actually a #6 defenseman? Is he worse than what we already have for our #6 guys?

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/can-alex-biega-be-a-consistent-top-six-defenceman-1.23670138

"Over the past few years, Alex Biega has found his niche in the NHL as a seventh defenceman. He’s hassle-free: even when he’s a healthy scratch for weeks on end, he still works hard in practice and is ready to plug into the lineup at a moment’s notice to provide a little energy and some reliable minutes.

When Alex Biega signed his two-year contract extension a year ago, however, he believed he had something more to give beyond being a seventh defenceman."

[See more at the link]

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Right now, I think Biega has my vote for the Fred. J. Hume award as the unsung hero of the Canucks this year. He's had a heck of a year.

I think I would agree. Our other heroes, EP40, Bo, Markie and Brock, are pretty sung.

• Upvote 1

Biega was the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list with his assist tonight.

185.  Ab DeMarco D 95 13 22 35
186.  Alex Biega D 178 4 31 35
187.  John Grisdale D 199 3 32 35
188.  Shawn Matthias C 96 21 13 34
189.  Bill Derlago C 63 15 19 34
190.  Al MacAdam LW 80 14 20 34
191.  Wayne Connelly RW 53 14 20 34
192.  Poul Popiel D 116 11 23 34
193.  Sam Gagner C 81 11 23 34
194.  Vladimir Krutov LW 61 11 23 34
195.  Derrick Pouliot D 133 6 28 34

On 3/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, Alflives said:

With the game now being played at hyper light speed, smaller D men, like Biega, who can really skate, and have good aerobic capacity can play a regular shift.  I think Biega will be in our top 6 next season, out of camp.

EK - Stecher

Hughes - Hutton

Biega - OJ

better not be if we want to be a playoff team, he at best a 9th D man

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

better not be if we want to be a playoff team, he at best a 9th D man

In what world is a 9th d-man a guy who is on pace for 30 points in a full season? Maybe Biega has actually improved over the years? Biega is at worst a #8 and I'd argue a #7 on most teams in the league right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Biega is built for the playoffs. Not shy in the rough going.

If they keep Biega I hope you get a 5% fee. :) Biega is a honest player who gives it his all ever shift. I am hoping he gets sent to a team where he can play regularly. I say that because his TOI has to go to a younger d-core. I include Tanev in that assessment as well. Neither of these players will be with the team when they are serious CUP contenders. 

• Upvote 1