The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

On a deep team he should be the 7th d man.   I hope beyond hope that he can prove me wrong but nothing aside from a bit of grit has impressed me yet.  He is a good example of how much work our d needs right now - Benning had did the hard thing by passing on some prime forwards this draft, and Sbisa is part of that reason.

On 7/4/2016 at 5:35 PM, IBatch said:

On a deep team he should be the 7th d man.   I hope beyond hope that he can prove me wrong but nothing aside from a bit of grit has impressed me yet.  He is a good example of how much work our d needs right now - Benning had did the hard thing by passing on some prime forwards this draft, and Sbisa is part of that reason.

Sbisa is actually a solid bottom pairing Dman and is not as overpaid as people believe.

He was put in a position where he could not succeed he is not a top4 D and should not be playing those minutes.

Sbisa had no reason with taking OJ at #5 top Dmen are always more valuable than top Wingers,

Besides we had no legit top D prospects but we already have Boeser, Virt, Baer on the wing 

Makes you wonder if the late transition from Forward to D hampered him a bit and if he is still trying to learn the game playing as a Dman.

I know its been 8 years since he was drafted and should've been adjusted by now, but interesting to know he had switched from forward to D when he was 15-16 years old.

I still have faith in Luca, still young and can put all the skills together.

He's a fantastic bottom pairing defenceman and one of the best 5th or 6th guys in the NHL. When we got him from Anaheim he was really the 7th man but he's moved up a bit to 5th at the best. I wouldn't call him a top-4 defenceman by any stretch of the imagination though, but for his cap hit and the hard minutes he plays in case of injury, he's a very necessary tool of a good team.

We're starting to put the pieces together on defence. Hutton is now a top-4 guy and getting better. Gudbranson is an instant top-4 guy to eat up Hamhuis' minutes. Edler and Tanev are still top-4 in their own right, that leaves Sbisa as a very solid 5th defenceman and a slot at #6 for Tryamkin/Stetcher/Subban/Biega/whoever's good enough.

Sbisa did play really well last year. On a team that got shelled night in night out, he was a +5 at the end of the season.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:52 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's a fantastic bottom pairing defenceman and one of the best 5th or 6th guys in the NHL. When we got him from Anaheim he was really the 7th man but he's moved up a bit to 5th at the best. I wouldn't call him a top-4 defenceman by any stretch of the imagination though, but for his cap hit and the hard minutes he plays in case of injury, he's a very necessary tool of a good team.

We're starting to put the pieces together on defence. Hutton is now a top-4 guy and getting better. Gudbranson is an instant top-4 guy to eat up Hamhuis' minutes. Edler and Tanev are still top-4 in their own right, that leaves Sbisa as a very solid 5th defenceman and a slot at #6 for Tryamkin/Stetcher/Subban/Biega/whoever's good enough.

Sbisa did play really well last year. On a team that got shelled night in night out, he was a +5 at the end of the season.

Totally agree. Settle Sbisa down on a 3rd pairing for extended stretches instead of forcing him into top pairings. I am excited to see the impact Gudbranson will have on Sbisa's game. Sbisa has a edge to his game which has not been allowed to come out a lot. A bigger d-core might help him.

If you check out the latest reports on hockeybuzz.com and thehockeynews.com,  there seems to be a fair bit of discussion on using Sbisa as trade bait for a second-line LW.  According to these sites, IF Vessey doesn't go to Buffalo, then Benning will most likely try and make a deal with Detroit - Sbisa for Tatar or Nyqvist - staight trade.  Personally, I think that Tatar would a better fit than Nyqvist.  He is faster, grittier (which is what Benning is looking for), and has more scoring ability.  Yes Sbisa would be missed, but since the recent acquisitions of defence by Benning, this trade would make the most sense.  I guess we'll have to see what happens after Aug. 15.

16 hours ago, notafan said:

If you check out the latest reports on hockeybuzz.com and thehockeynews.com,  there seems to be a fair bit of discussion on using Sbisa as trade bait for a second-line LW.  According to these sites, IF Vessey doesn't go to Buffalo, then Benning will most likely try and make a deal with Detroit - Sbisa for Tatar or Nyqvist - staight trade.  Personally, I think that Tatar would a better fit than Nyqvist.  He is faster, grittier (which is what Benning is looking for), and has more scoring ability.  Yes Sbisa would be missed, but since the recent acquisitions of defence by Benning, this trade would make the most sense.  I guess we'll have to see what happens after Aug. 15.

:huh:

EDIT: Did some research, I take it back

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, July 08, 2016 at 1:40 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Makes you wonder if the late transition from Forward to D hampered him a bit and if he is still trying to learn the game playing as a Dman.

I know its been 8 years since he was drafted and should've been adjusted by now, but interesting to know he had switched from forward to D when he was 15-16 years old.

I still have faith in Luca, still young and can put all the skills together.

Interesting    maybe he can become that rugged left winger we've been looking for 

Sbisa was the only defender (playing more than one game) with a positive number in the +/- statistc last season.

On 7/8/2016 at 11:52 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Sbisa's a lot better than CDCers give him credit for. He played a very clean game last year, making few mistakes and throwing big, clean body checks. His play last year reminded me of Tanev. Not a big offensive threat but provides that, all important, stay at home defense which allows an offensive defenseman to take chances knowing that his partner is reliable to cover for him should things go wrong. I hope he, like Tanev, can find the back of the net a few more times this year. A 24 point season shows he has the ability. We have a solid defense this year with more bite. I think he will definitely benefit from it. 

6 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I think Sbisa's a lot better than CDCers give him credit for. He played a very clean game last year, making few mistakes and throwing big, clean body checks. His play last year reminded me of Tanev. Not a big offensive threat but provides that, all important, stay at home defense which allows an offensive defenseman to take chances knowing that his partner is reliable to cover for him should things go wrong. I hope he, like Tanev, can find the back of the net a few more times this year. A 24 point season shows he has the ability. We have a solid defense this year with more bite. I think he will definitely benefit from it. 

A lot of the d-zone pressure last year came form terrible puck possession stats. FO% was one of the worst in the NHL. Combine that with the injury games lost on the d-core and it caused a lot of scrambling and 2nd guessing. If all the ? marks on the back end play well the group could surprise. Sbisa is due for a solid year.

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of the d-zone pressure last year came form terrible puck possession stats. FO% was one of the worst in the NHL. Combine that with the injury games lost on the d-core and it caused a lot of scrambling and 2nd guessing. If all the ? marks on the back end play well the group could surprise. Sbisa is due for a solid year.

Agreed. It seems he's actually improved since coming here. I am hoping he finds more offense without losing his defensive dependability. If he too, can produce 15-20 points and keep his defense sound, I'd consider him a success for us and well worth his paycheck.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SwissCanucks said:

Nice article about Luca Sbisa and Jannik Hansen, both expected to play for Team Europe at next World Cup:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ralph-krueger-expects-luca-sbisa-to-take-on-a-key-role-with-team-europe

Ah, was going to post this. I forgot that he played in the 2010 Olympics as a Junior player. That's no small feat. Still waiting for him to make that jump to the top 4, maybe the World Cup will boost his confidence. 

• 3 weeks later...

People have seriously got to lay off this guy.  He's improved a lot since getting here and his developmental curve is no different from a lot of good D who don't figure out their game until the second half of their 20s.  Paired with someone like Stecher who can retrieve and move the puck he will be a top-4 quality D for us in a year or two if he isn't already.  His ceiling is probably lower than Edler's or Gudbranson's, but not by that much, and he's getting there.

Archived