The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would be awesome to see a buy in from all the upcoming UFAs.

That would give Benning a little more flexibility to move some contracts out and then he can offer them bigger contracts next offseason.

Small increases on one year deals and we may be able to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli.

And be more choosy come the ED as well.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would be awesome to see a buy in from all the upcoming UFAs.

That would give Benning a little more flexibility to move some contracts out and then he can offer them bigger contracts next offseason.

Small increases on one year deals and we may be able to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli.

I think small increases are doable on Tanev and Toffoli, but it would be borderline highway robbery if we were able to get Markstrom for anything close to his current cap of $3.66M, even if it was just one year. Would be wonderful if he did agree to that though.

• 4 weeks later...

Another story about Tanev wanting to stay and how much fun he had with Hughes.

Also I have seen more talk from the young guys about how Tanev is basically the leader and Dad of the defence and even taking some forwards under his wing.  Hughes referred to him as the heart and soul of the team.

It is a really tough spot since he is young enough to get offered a longer term contract by someone and that is too much for us.  If he were 3 years older we could expect to sign him to a series of 1 year contracts like we will Edler.

Tanev has said there is a lot of trust between him and management that has been built up.  Maybe there is still a dream scenario where he signs a cheaper one year contract so we can sort out our cap situation and he isn’t exposed to expansion (no team is going to give him a NMC to guarantee protection).  If I were Tanev I wouldn’t do it because of his injury history and the possibility of a career ending or serious injury that robs him of years of salary.

I think that all things considered, Tanev has now moved up to the 2nd priority signing for me after Markstrom and before Toffoli.  We are going to have a young team and will be exiting as many veterans as we can, Tanev and Edler would be a great couple of leaders who gradually work down to third pairing and depth guys as they age.

Tanev would be one of those guys you keep employed after his playing years as a player development guy and/or D coach.

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1493240.1594210914

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Another story about Tanev wanting to stay and how much fun he had with Hughes.

Also I have seen more talk from the young guys about how Tanev is basically the leader and Dad of the defence and even taking some forwards under his wing.  Hughes referred to him as the heart and soul of the team.

It is a really tough spot since he is young enough to get offered a longer term contract by someone and that is too much for us.  If he were 3 years older we could expect to sign him to a series of 1 year contracts like we will Edler.

Tanev has said there is a lot of trust between him and management that has been built up.  Maybe there is still a dream scenario where he signs a cheaper one year contract so we can sort out our cap situation and he isn’t exposed to expansion (no team is going to give him a NMC to guarantee protection).  If I were Tanev I wouldn’t do it because of his injury history and the possibility of a career ending or serious injury that robs him of years of salary.

I think that all things considered, Tanev has now moved up to the 2nd priority signing for me after Markstrom and before Toffoli.  We are going to have a young team and will be exiting as many veterans as we can, Tanev and Edler would be a great couple of leaders who gradually work down to third pairing and depth guys as they age.

Tanev would be one of those guys you keep employed after his playing years as a player development guy and/or D coach.

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1493240.1594210914

Glad to see another on the same page as I've been for some time now. Toffoli to me was always a luxury piece if we could retain him. He was probably one of the best rentals on the market and we didn't have to give up a 1st to get him (unlike in historical past).

If Tanev truly want to remain a Canuck for life, his best course of action is the 1 year deal. His agent surely hates the idea and there is inherent risk in doing so for Tanev, but working with the team like this would likely net him a "lifetime" job with the organization should the worst happen to him, so he would be stable financially. But a one year deal protects him from expansion as we are certainly not going to protect him given what others we most likely will need to protect as well (and there is a risk of him being taken being a veteran top 4 RD that at least has a few good years left in him). He gets to play alongside Hughes who I'd say has rejuvenated him and I think Tanev has relished his leadership role on the team. He gets to see what happens after a year of uncertainty and can lock up a 3-4 year deal after this one still if all things go well of course. He likely will have more support assuming we sign Tryamkin which would keep him healthy longer.

• Upvote 2

IMO, there's no real reason we can't sign all three (Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli). Yes, some moves will need to be made to do so but I don't think (particularly given current economies/current cap environment) that either Tanev or Toffoli can expect any meaningful raises (if any at all).

So they're basically a wash on cap and Markstrom only needs about a $2m-$2.5m raise +/-.

Yes, Toffoli was largely fit in from LTIR so we need to make some space there. But IMO we could pretty easily move a couple/few of Roussel, Stecher, Benn and Virtanen to make room for cheaper options whether that's guys like Tryamkin or Leivo on relatively low dollar deals, or prospects like Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi etc on ELC's.

There are ways to make the numbers work.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

IMO, there's no real reason we can't sign all three (Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli). Yes, some moves will need to be made to do so but I don't think (particularly given current economies/current cap environment) that either Tanev or Toffoli can expect any meaningful raises (if any at all).

So they're basically a wash on cap and Markstrom only needs about a $2m-$2.5m raise +/-.

Yes, Toffoli was largely fit in from LTIR so we need to make some space there. But IMO we could pretty easily move a couple/few of Roussel, Stecher, Benn and Virtanen to make room for cheaper options whether that's guys like Tryamkin or Leivo on relatively low dollar deals, or prospects like Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi etc on ELC's.

There are ways to make the numbers work.

There may be ways, but they are pretty painful I think as moving cap will be close to impossible... too many teams will want to do it and too few teams with cap space AND real dollars to spend.

Also reduce our cap by about $1.7 million for pushed ELC bonuses, and then consider the up to $4 million in bonuses for next year that we won't be able to push into Petterson and Hughes new contract year when they get paid.  It looks really ugly when you consider all that.

At least we aren't the Leafs who have three players signed long term to contracts which assume a big cap increase priced into them.  Our stars are likely in the $6-7 million range for bridge deals or $8 million for long term deals under the new financial reality.

I still think the most painless way out of the mess is to sign all three of Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli... then use Boeser/Virtanen/Stecher/Demko/B level prospects as trade chips to get a top 4D plus get rid of some cap dumps in the package.

A team like the Rangers as one example could actually use Sutter as a stabilizing 3C or to help take draws and ease the load on one of their young bottom 6 guys... it shouldn't take too much of a sweetener to make that happen.  Maybe add something and try to squeeze one of their D prospects like Matthew Robertson or K'Andre Miller.

If Benning can do 2-3 of those moves maybe we can avoid the team getting worse next season, but we haven't seen a lot of creativity like that from him as of yet.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

There may be ways, but they are pretty painful I think as moving cap will be close to impossible... too many teams will want to do it and too few teams with cap space AND real dollars to spend.

Also reduce our cap by about $1.7 million for pushed ELC bonuses, and then consider the up to $4 million in bonuses for next year that we won't be able to push into Petterson and Hughes new contract year when they get paid.  It looks really ugly when you consider all that.

At least we aren't the Leafs who have three players signed long term to contracts which assume a big cap increase priced into them.  Our stars are likely in the $6-7 million range for bridge deals or $8 million for long term deals under the new financial reality.

I still think the most painless way out of the mess is to sign all three of Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli... then use Boeser/Virtanen/Stecher/Demko/B level prospects as trade chips to get a top 4D plus get rid of some cap dumps in the package.

A team like the Rangers as one example could actually use Sutter as a stabilizing 3C or to help take draws and ease the load on one of their young bottom 6 guys... it shouldn't take too much of a sweetener to make that happen.  Maybe add something and try to squeeze one of their D prospects like Matthew Robertson or K'Andre Miller.

If Benning can do 2-3 of those moves maybe we can avoid the team getting worse next season, but we haven't seen a lot of creativity like that from him as of yet.

I'd love me some K'andre Miller! :metal:

Yes there's work trip be done, no it's not the inescapable doom some seem to think it is.

I don't think we'd have any issues moving salary in Virtanen, Stecher or Roussel or Benn. The latter two likely won't return much on their own but teams would be happy to add any of them.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd love me some K'andre Miller! :metal:

Yes there's work trip be done, no it's not the inescapable doom some seem to think it is.

I don't think we'd have any issues moving salary in Virtanen, Stecher or Roussel or Benn. The latter two likely won't return much on their own but teams would be happy to add any of them.

I think we’ll see a lot more hockey deals  and far fewer players for picks deals.  Cap space is going to be at a premium and dumping even marginal players will cost a team if they aren’t willing or able to take cap back 

Edited by qwijibo

• 3 weeks later...

lol, yup he did. is Tanev ever on the ice when the goalie gets pulled? mainly the 2 PP D slide in on that ice time.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Did he survive the Minny game?

i didn’t see him finish the game, I saw Myers move up with Quinn and Fanta move with Stetcher.

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

Tanev was the player I noticed the most in Game 1.

He was rivaling Hughes as the best defenseman on the team. Only one or two mistakes, but aside from that Tanman was playing well.

• Like 1

@-AJ-  quote”He was rivaling Hughes as the best defenseman on the team. Only one or two mistakes, but aside from that Tanman was playing well.”

I did see him rush up on one play only to give away a breakaway to his side..

I did see him get nailed hard at least 3 times durring that game..

but I didn’t see him move anyone from the front of our net.. or stop a cycle in his own zone..

I did see Myers do the opposite,  there both defence men right?

Hughes can make anyone look good..

bottom line.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

On 8/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, SilentSam said:

@-AJ-  quote”He was rivaling Hughes as the best defenseman on the team. Only one or two mistakes, but aside from that Tanman was playing well.”

I did see him rush up on one play only to give away a breakaway to his side..

I did see him get nailed hard at least 3 times durring that game..

but I didn’t see him move anyone from the front of our net.. or stop a cycle in his own zone..

I did see Myers do the opposite,  there both defence men right?

Hughes can make anyone look good..

bottom line.

You really have a dislike for Tanev . I don't think i have read any of your posts stating a positive point to his game . To each their own  i guess.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dannydog said:

You really have a dislike for Tanev . I don't think i have read any of your posts stating a positive point to his game . To each their own  i guess.

He loses the puck on his own boards too often,  can not clear the net for the goalie to have point veiw..  Gets hit,  carelessly,. Which has had him only play 50% of the game he possibly could have in his career,  which as a player of a supposedly higher caliber, is a loss to the team for the 4.5 he has earned..  

he tries to track a player instead of taking him, can not shut down a cycle.

people here get boon doggled by his quick feet and flapping flo hustle..  but it’s like watching a hamster on a treadmill .

If you watch him, scrutinize his game more for the player he should be and his decision making.

this year Quinn has made Tanev look good.

But Quinn is capable of doing that with anyone.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1