The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

exactly.

Boston struck gold in 2014 with Pastknark pick,

but blew it badly in 2015.

New York Islanders blew it bad also in 2014 with Dal  Cole.  5th overall.

Edmonton &^@#ed up in 2016 also with Pool Party 4th overall.  At least Olli didn't request a trade, he's willing to work his game in our system.

Right. I just counted since Benning arrived in 6 drafts he has 7 NHL players and 13 that still have a good shot at making it. If you get 2 nhl players a year you’ve done pretty well so he should easily surpass that. The reaction on this board to EP getting drafted was brutal but every one loves that pick now. You just made a really good point of other teams misses. I’m not going to second guess Jim on the OJ pick. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol. Ashamed to see you are a Canucks fan. No manners. No class. Can't take an opinion that's different from yours. Childish insults? rofl. Get a life/grow up. 

Opinion? More like hindsight to look smart. Juolevi was known as the safe pick and the d-man that will play 15 years in the NHL, but I bet you can't remember that. Injuries have derailed that, however, that is unpredictable.

I wanted Ehlers and Nylander in 2014, we picked Jake, I'm not crying about it. Every team has hits and misses, JB and crew have drafted well enough for me to not worry. Every individual with some common sense knows it is impossible to hit on every pick.

Let Olli develop into the top 4 d-man that he has the potential to be.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, High and Inside said:

Right. I just counted since Benning arrived in 6 drafts he has 7 NHL players and 13 that still have a good shot at making it. If you get 2 nhl players a year you’ve done pretty well so he should easily surpass that. The reaction on this board to EP getting drafted was brutal but every one loves that pick now. You just made a really good point of other teams misses. I’m not going to second guess Jim on the OJ pick. 

Just curious who those 13 would be?

Juolevi

Brisebois

Dipietro

Lind

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Woo

Madden

Tryamkin

Rafferty?

Fohct

Lockwood

I got 10

Edited by Gawdzukes

10 hours ago, High and Inside said:

People just need to get over that draft. The draft is far from a guarantee and mistakes happen. Benning easily won the 2017 draft and his other years are pretty good too. We got lots of NHL players in the pipeline..Pod, Lind, Rathbone,Madden, Diepetro just to name a few. All but one of those wasn’t drafted in the first round which is incredible. So just suck it up and let’s calm down and let OJ play and maybe he will become a top 4 still. If not we’ll so be it. 

lol benning did not win the 2017 draft.. Colorado did... ppg defenseman that can also play defense>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ppg centers.. the fact that we wasted 2 top 6 picks on atm non impact player and possible will never be impact player.. and we are sitting here watching this team struggle to score and thinking to ourselves are we done rebuilding yet is kinda sad

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Juolevi

Brisebois

Dipietro

Lind

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Woo

Madden

Tryamkin

Rafferty?

Fohct

Lockwood

I got 10

If I had to wager a guess at the others I'd say:

Utunen

Jasek

and one of the other later round picks surprising us at some point

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol benning did not win the 2017 draft.. Colorado did... ppg defenseman that can also play defense>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ppg centers.. the fact that we wasted 2 top 6 picks on atm non impact player and possible will never be impact player.. and we are sitting here watching this team struggle to score and thinking to ourselves are we done rebuilding yet is kinda sad

I don't think I've heard one person say Makar > Pettersson in that draft. Pettersson is a potential top 10 player in the league, who's always great defensively as well.
Also, how long do you think rebuilds generally last for? Look at how long teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Colorado, Carolina, Arizona, Buffalo, etc. have been rebuilding for.
A rebuild is not just done in a few years. 
You can't expect to take the best player from every draft, it's just not possible. 
Edit: Each one of the teams I've mentioned has had 1 or multiple top 3 picks as well, which we have not had.

Edited by Ur a Towel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Juolevi

Brisebois

Dipietro

Lind

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Woo

Madden

Tryamkin

Rafferty?

Fohct

Lockwood

I got 10

As mentioned already Jasek. I don't see Gadjovich on your list. Focht is probably there. MacDonagh is putting up a good college season for a 7th round pick. Lockwood is on the bubble.

Potential, but need to see more are Utunen, Plasek (who's vying for their world Junior team), Silovs, and Keppen.

Not sure if Rafferty fits the bill as he's not a draft pick. But a good undrafted signing. If we are including him, then MacEwen would be there as well. Could also include Kielly, Chatfield and Sautner here although Sautner is probably getting too old for this criteria.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

As mentioned already Jasek. I don't see Gadjovich on your list. Focht is probably there. MacDonagh is putting up a good college season for a 7th round pick. Lockwood is on the bubble.

Potential, but need to see more are Utunen, Plasek (who's vying for their world Junior team), Silovs, and Keppen.

Not sure if Rafferty fits the bill as he's not a draft pick. But a good undrafted signing. If we are including him, then MacEwen would be there as well. Could also include Kielly, Chatfield and Sautner here although Sautner is probably getting too old for this criteria.

I agree Rafferty was not in the spirit of the question. I didn't include Gadjovich because while he has potential I would say his chances are well below 50, same with Utonen, although I like both.

Yeah, MacDonagh is doing great for a 7th. :canucks:

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree Rafferty was not in the spirit of the question. I didn't include Gadjovich because while he has potential I would say his chances are well below 50, same with Utonen, although I like both.

Yeah, MacDonagh is doing great for a 7th. :canucks:

Curious as to what makes you think Gadjovich's odds are so low. He has improved his skating and is producing better numbers this year. I think Utunen increases his odds if he makes the jump to NA.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Curious as to what makes you think Gadjovich's odds are so low. He has improved his skating and is producing better numbers this year. I think Utunen increases his odds if he makes the jump to NA.

I just think it's harder to make it in the type of role he plays. By the sounds of it he is honing his game to be a true power forward. In comparison Lind appears to be pulling away a bit in development speed, not to say that Gadjovich is not making strides. That combined with usual second round success numbers. I'm cheering for him though. What a boost that would be for us.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just think it's harder to make it in the type of role he plays. By the sounds of it he is honing his game to be a true power forward. In comparison Lind appears to be pulling away a bit in development speed, not to say that Gadjovich is not making strides. That combined with usual second round success numbers. I'm cheering for him though. What a boost that would be for us.

It's true that power forwards have a tougher path, but they also do take longer to develop sometimes. I personally wouldn't deny him of status of a potential NHL prospect (of course not all make it), certainly not at this stage. So I think he fits right into that group at the moment.

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Juolevi

Brisebois

Dipietro

Lind

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Woo

Madden

Tryamkin

Rafferty?

Fohct

Lockwood

I got 10

I still counted Gadjovich, Jasek and Lockwood. I just did a rough guess on ones I think still had a shot at the NHL there is still some other guys that are fringe players like Focht or McDonough but I didn’t count them. I also didn’t count Rafferty because he was a free agent signing and not a draft pick. 

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Hahaha are you serious? This is why I don’t spend much time on message boards. Okay the avalanche got one good player and maybe Timmons still turns into something and thats it. The Canucks have EP Lind Gadj Dipietro and Rathbone. That could be 5 NHL players which would be an insane draft! Don’t even try to say Colorado did better. Also  Vancouver never had a shot at Makar because he was drafted a pick before us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

Hahaha are you serious? This is why I don’t spend much time on message boards. Okay the avalanche got one good player and maybe Timmons still turns into something and thats it. The Canucks have EP Lind Gadj Dipietro and Rathbone. That could be 5 NHL players which would be an insane draft! Don’t even try to say Colorado did better. Also  Vancouver never had a shot at Makar because he was drafted a pick before us. 

I think it also should be considered that Makar, who is a phenomenal player, is also playing with 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league (imho). One has to think if we switch hughes with makar that hughes is likely scoring at a similar rate to makar.

I know you were talking 2017 draft but I think hughes would be scoring close to what makar is.

Hopefully Juolevi gets some games this year and continues to play well. I think he still has the potential to be an important piece to our dcorps

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think it also should be considered that Makar, who is a phenomenal player, is also playing with 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league (imho). One has to think if we switch hughes with makar that hughes is likely scoring at a similar rate to makar.

I know you were talking 2017 draft but I think hughes would be scoring close to what makar is.

Hopefully Juolevi gets some games this year and continues to play well. I think he still has the potential to be an important piece to our dcorps

I agree with all that. I think the only edge Makar has over Hughes is his ability to score goals. His wrist shot is pretty good and he gets in good position and that might have to do with like you said playing with out of world players like Mackinnon. 

With how ridiculous the 2017 draft was that should buy some good will from fans for mistakes like OJ . The previous regimes were absolutely awful in comparison. It would nice if Benning was better at trading. 

On 12/17/2019 at 5:37 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

It’s almost 2020 now people are over 2016. 

We just just want Juolevi to pan out. 

I agree. Comparison to other players at this point is useless. Yes, Juloevi was not the best choice at #5. It should have been choose one of {Tkachuk, McAvoy, Keller, Sergachev}.

We just want him to pan out, become an NHLer. My only hope is that he can still pan out to be a top4D that can replace Edler. 

3 hours ago, High and Inside said:

Blah blah blah we drafted this we drafted that they can all be nhl player blah blah that's what everyone say about everyone they drafted every year. How many of them actually make the nhl?? We won the draft coz none of those player even made it or played a game in the nhl? Based on current development makar is just as good as pettersson. Funny we rate all our draft pick the next big thing but everyone else's is bust 2 years after draft lmao