The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

The last reports on his weight were that he was just under 200 lbs, which is a really positive sign that young Olli's still growing and could top out somewhere between the size of Sami Salo and Mathias Ohlund.

Last report was from prospects camp and he was 207 - perhaps he has shed a bit more over August (?) but I doubt more than 7 lbs.   He looked really fit at camp from what I could see.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Last report was from prospects camp and he was 207 - perhaps he has shed a bit more over August (?) but I doubt more than 7 lbs.   He looked really fit at camp from what I could see.

I hadn't seen those - no complaints as I agree that he's looked in great shape all summer and definitely has a roster spot in his crosshairs.

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Pretty confident JB or TL said he was 198 at prospects camp.

Was on Team1040 interview (the TSN radio, I get it on-line...it might be called something different in Vancouver?) with one of the trainers and I believe Manny Malhotra (?) who said it.   They were talking about who had changed the most year on year and they said it was between him and Virtanen as far moving the needle the furthest.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
  • Upvote 2

He has a bright future ahead of him. Best for him would be another year in junior/Finland. But if he impresses and builds off the momentum he had this prospects camp, he will certainly be on the radar for making the Canucks roster. He'll have some stiff competition having solid D ahead of him like Biega, Chatfield, Pedan, Subban, McEneny, etc so he'll have to be a very good player. Hopefully he cracks the team

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

207 was Jake's last reported weight....maybe you have them confused?....on a side note 207 seems to light for Jake....with Bo well over 220 and still fleet of foot, I think Jake could carry that weight with the right conditioning.

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

He has a bright future ahead of him. Best for him would be another year in junior/Finland. But if he impresses and builds off the momentum he had this prospects camp, he will certainly be on the radar for making the Canucks roster. He'll have some stiff competition having solid D ahead of him like Biega, Chatfield, Pedan, Subban, McEneny, etc so he'll have to be a very good player. Hopefully he cracks the team

I am not excited about OJ making the Canucks unless he can get 17 - 20 TOI a game. Even then he will likely be sheltered. If he goes back to London he gets Hunter as a coach and gets lots of TOI playing all facets of the game. A NHL top quality coach at the junior level finishing our Finnish player makes a lot of sense to me. The idea of him going to Europe is not appealing at all. If it was the Hitman, circa the Virtanen era, then I would rethink that. I simply do not see Jake Virtanen graduating from the London Knights without being a complete hockey player. A lot of what has happened to JV started in Calgary. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

207 was Jake's last reported weight....maybe you have them confused?....on a side note 207 seems to light for Jake....with Bo well over 220 and still fleet of foot, I think Jake could carry that weight with the right conditioning.

Nope, they were talking about OJ specifically.    

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am not excited about OJ making the Canucks unless he can get 17 - 20 TOI a game. Even then he will likely be sheltered. If he goes back to London he gets Hunter as a coach and gets lots of TOI playing all facets of the game. A NHL top quality coach at the junior level finishing our Finnish player makes a lot of sense to me. The idea of him going to Europe is not appealing at all. If it was the Hitman, circa the Virtanen era, then I would rethink that. I simply do not see Jake Virtanen graduating from the London Knights without being a complete hockey player. A lot of what has happened to JV started in Calgary. 

Well if he goes to Europe won't he be closely followed by Sami Salo?

16 hours ago, JoesRooster said:

Well if he goes to Europe won't he be closely followed by Sami Salo?

We are hearing that Salo will be coaching. What does that mean? Is Salo as good a coach as he was a player? Is the team environment he would be in as good? To many questions in my mind. Am I off base having confidence in Hunter. The history of what he does to teach players makes me pretty confident. Suggestions that OJ will be bored with OHL play and needs experience playing Euro men is a bit of a put down. The CHL is the world's #1 organization for putting players into the NHL.  Euro experience can have a lot of pitfalls IMHO. Joulevi only has 2 years of NA experience, not enough IMO. His future with the Canucks will be in the NHL not a Euro league. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We are hearing that Salo will be coaching. What does that mean? Is Salo as good a coach as he was a player? Is the team environment he would be in as good? To many questions in my mind. Am I off base having confidence in Hunter. The history of what he does to teach players makes me pretty confident. Suggestions that OJ will be bored with OHL play and needs experience playing Euro men is a bit of a put down. The CHL is the world's #1 organization for putting players into the NHL.  Euro experience can have a lot of pitfalls IMHO. Joulevi only has 2 years of NA experience, not enough IMO. His future with the Canucks will be in the NHL not a Euro league. 

Euro league would be men.  The CHL is boys.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Euro league would be men.  The CHL is boys.

What is that supposed to mean? Euro size and experience? Still skeptical. CHL has a wide scope of size, skill and speed as do the Euros. The only advantage  I can see is experience. I suggest the Hunter experience translated into Joulevi is worth it.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What is that supposed to mean? Euro size and experience? Still skeptical. CHL has a wide scope of size, skill and speed as do the Euros. The only advantage  I can see is experience. I suggest the Hunter experience translated into Joulevi is worth it.  

How about Olli makes our team, and then the point is moot?  ::D

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sending Juolevi back to London won't help him much. Sure, he'll get lots of ice time, but Olli needs to play against men in a more competitive league. I love the fact that he could be mentored by Salo in Finland. With the Canucks bringing in Del Zotto and Wiercioch, I don't see Juolevi on the Canucks this year. Next year for sure though.

He won't be gifted a spot, that's for sure. If he makes the nucks this year, he beat out established NHLers. 

No, why set him up for failure. This year is a write off, let him go to Europe and find his game. It'll be like bringing in a university grad next year, older, bigger and more experienced.

Besides we have a ton of vets to sift through anyway.

• Upvote 3

On 8/22/2017 at 0:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

No, why set him up for failure. This year is a write off, let him go to Europe and find his game. It'll be like bringing in a university grad next year, older, bigger and more experienced.

Besides we have a ton of vets to sift through anyway.

I tend to agree here -

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Tanev
Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Holm
Biega

No reason to rush Juolevi. Let him go to Europe for a year and find his game against larger, faster opponents, as well as bulk up.
He can then come over next year either to the A or to the big club. We're not going to be competitive for at least another 3 years, no rush.

• Upvote 4