The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Can that work with Olli?  He can't get sent to the AHL.  So Olli earns a spot.  What does JB do?  Can't cut him, like they (wrongly) did with Stecher.  

Stecher was only cut temporarily, as it allowed Jim the time he needed to sort out his roster, and as it happened injuries allowed Stecher to come up easier than Jim had probably anticipated.  He played most of the season on the Canucks roster and was not sent back down.  That sounds to me like he earned his spot and Jim lived up to his word.

No, Olli won't be able to follow the same path, which makes Jim's decision all that much harder.  I for one can't wait to see what happens this September, there hasn't been this many exciting prospects in the system for a very long time.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

With write ups like these you could sell sand in a dessert.... Hope you are right. A right sided stud to go with him next year, and we would have the building blocks for the future... me like a lot.

I am on the record of really liking this player.  I know people in the LK organization and they cannot speak highly enough of how important he was to their team, things he does that matter in the room and how he is not all about the stat sheet (they have had some recently that were more concerned on personal than team goals).   I think down the road this will go down as one of the best picks made by this regime.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am on the record of really liking this player.  I know people in the LK organization and they cannot speak highly enough of how important he was to their team, things he does that matter in the room and how he is not all about the stat sheet (they have had some recently that were more concerned on personal than team goals).   I think down the road this will go down as one of the best picks made by this regime.

Hope you're right. We really do need a stud D-man to build around. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

That and another elite Goalie wouldn't hurt!  C'mon Demko... no pressure. 

So far the reports are good regarding Demko. Also really happy we are not leaving all the eggs in one basket, and drafted Di Pietro... just in case. 

With some luck we'll get another stud D next summer, and that should be the foundation laid, so in a few years we could start to see a good team blossom again. 

Edited by spook007

5 hours ago, The Sedge said:

Stecher was only cut temporarily, as it allowed Jim the time he needed to sort out his roster, and as it happened injuries allowed Stecher to come up easier than Jim had probably anticipated.  He played most of the season on the Canucks roster and was not sent back down.  That sounds to me like he earned his spot and Jim lived up to his word.

No, Olli won't be able to follow the same path, which makes Jim's decision all that much harder.  I for one can't wait to see what happens this September, there hasn't been this many exciting prospects in the system for a very long time.

Totally agree with this. Stretcher earned his spot and even though he was sent down he came in and played non stop. I understand that if a guy comes in plays hard he deserves a spot, but theres more to business and asset management then that. In this case it worked out well as Stetcher was able to fill in for an injury(which we constantly have) and played the rest of the year. This should be used with guys like Boeser and Dahlen, let them hone there skills in the AHL and when guys don't perform or get injured call them up if they're playing well. Juolevi is a different case as he can't go to the AHL so I think it may be good to have him in Europe a year so he's completely ready to step in and contribute. Its not like we are one, two or even three players away from competing so therefore let our prospects develop and keep them away from a losing team

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

None of the incumbent Canucks or the FA signings can do all of the things this guy can do.   Vision is off the charts.   

:wub: Boeser's gonna have a field day on Juolevis wing. That disguised cross ice pass right on to the stick, looks magic.... And not too shabby at picking the corners himself neither.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

He earns and plays top 6 or he goes to Junior/Europe. There's more chance he wins the Norris next year than the Canucks sitting him in the press box as 7th D IMO.

Hutton best be looking over his shoulder.

Imho, i think he takes over as 5th dman after about 20 games played. Next year he is 3rd. If he goes to Europe and comes back, i dont see him as anything different.

I was trying to play down my expectations :)

While none of JB's picks are stand alone generational talents (...yet ;) ) I like the compatibility potential. 

Whether he is the Hannibal we need ( I love it when a plan comes together) is in doubt, I think he may be on to something. 

Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Jake, cough Trymakin cough and his secondary guys like Gaudette, Lockwood, Lind and Gadjovich etc are looking good as a group. 

Obviously a generational talent would be awesome to add to the mix, but I like what JB is cooking up. 

EmW

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

While none of JB's picks are stand alone generational talents (...yet ;) ) I like the compatibility potential. 

Whether he is the Hannibal we need ( I love it when a plan comes together) is in doubt, I think he may be on to something. 

Boeser, OJ, Pettersson, Jake, cough Trymakin cough and his secondary guys like Gaudette, Lockwood, Lind and Gadjovich etc are looking good as a group. 

Obviously a generational talent would be awesome to add to the mix, but I like what JB is cooking up. 

EmW

Boston beat us for the cup with a really good TEAM in 2011. With nary a generational 'ultra-star' in sight.

Some very good players, sure. But nobody 'generational'. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Boston beat us for the cup with a really good TEAM in 2011. With nary a generational 'ultra-star' in sight.

Some very good players, sure. But nobody 'generational'. 

Tim thomas = 2 Vezinas

Tukka Rask = 1 Vezina

Zdeno Chara = 1 Norris

Patrice Bergeron = 4 Selkes

Pretty sure they had a couple "Ultra-Stars".

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Beastmode33 said:

Tim thomas = 2 Vezinas

Tukka Rask = 1 Vezina

Zdeno Chara = 1 Norris

Patrice Bergeron = 4 Selkes

Pretty sure they had a couple "Ultra-Stars".

Again, very good players but not a Gretzky, Crosby or McDavid in the bunch. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 0:29 AM, spook007 said:

:wub: Boeser's gonna have a field day on Juolevis wing. That disguised cross ice pass right on to the stick, looks magic.... And not too shabby at picking the corners himself neither.

That might be Oli's only way on the club this year...if he can find some chemistry with Bo and Boeser and another pair I would like to see together...Granlund and Rodin...the assists might start racking up enough to force a trade and get Oli a spot...

I still think his overall game is behind Hutton's,but we shall see....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That might be Oli's only way on the club this year...if he can find some chemistry with Bo and Boeser and another pair I would like to see together...Granlund and Rodin...the assists might start racking up enough to force a trade and get Oli a spot...

I still think his overall game is behind Hutton's,but we shall see....

Yeah time will tell... but if here's the slightest doubt, let him develop some more.. Plenty time for the boy.

On 2017-8-17 at 8:44 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

The reality is that if Juolevi comes to camp and plays like he did in Prospect's Camp with his now over 200 lb frame then there are not, "too many good D ahead of him" as he is likely the most talented D man in the entire Canuck organization.   If he is good enough at this very early age for a Dman, he will be given every chance.   It is a nice problem to have but if he outplays those "ahead of him - to use your term" then he will get a spot and it will be well-deserved.   

OJ is a stud of a prospect.   Not sure Canucks have had this good of a D prospect in at least 10 years - he has a higher offensive ceiling than Luc Bourdon did and is likely better defensively as well.   He has long-term high end Dman written all over him.   If he is good enough for NHL this year, he will play in NHL.   If he is needing another year of development in eyes of the team, I would suspect he ends up in Europe over CHL just because he likely wants the higher level of competition.

Juolevi is over 200lbs now? 

On 2017-8-17 at 8:44 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

The reality is that if Juolevi comes to camp and plays like he did in Prospect's Camp with his now over 200 lb frame then there are not, "too many good D ahead of him" as he is likely the most talented D man in the entire Canuck organization.   If he is good enough at this very early age for a Dman, he will be given every chance.   It is a nice problem to have but if he outplays those "ahead of him - to use your term" then he will get a spot and it will be well-deserved.   

OJ is a stud of a prospect.   Not sure Canucks have had this good of a D prospect in at least 10 years - he has a higher offensive ceiling than Luc Bourdon did and is likely better defensively as well.   He has long-term high end Dman written all over him.   If he is good enough for NHL this year, he will play in NHL.   If he is needing another year of development in eyes of the team, I would suspect he ends up in Europe over CHL just because he likely wants the higher level of competition.

Juolevi is over 200lbs now?