The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I would love to see what JB could do in a strong draft year with 5-6 picks in the top 80.

we are now 4th worst team in the NHL and we are dropping - I mean, I expect nashville and NYI to surpass us. It will be between VAN, CAR and ARZ for Nolan Patrick. Maybe CBJ will also drop off.

Aside from Nolan and Timothy, I am interested in:

Mittlesteadt

Vilardi

Rasmussen

Foote

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

What's the hype on Patrick?

is he putting up decent numbers? 

Anybody following him because it's looking like a top 5 pick again this year. 

Nolan Patrick had sports hernia surgery in the offseason. He is currently out with an upper body injury. Had 4-5-9 in 6 games before getting hurt. Put up 41-61-102 in 72 games last season for Brandon, good for 5th overall. Younger than the 4 guys ahead of him. Already has good size 6 ft 3in 195 lbs. Would be curious to see if we won the lottery and drafted him if he'd slide right into this lineup right away.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

What's the hype on Patrick?

is he putting up decent numbers? 

Anybody following him because it's looking like a top 5 pick again this year. 

How does vegas factor in? 

He put up 108 points last year in the dub. Definitely pretty good numbers. He's not the greatest skater though, and doesnt have the flash like the high picks in the recent years. To be honest he reminds me a lot of RNH.

23 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

The Canucks will likely be a lottery team but id like them to embrace a rebuild and trade for more first round picks.

edler should get you a 1st +

Hansen should get you a 1st+

it would hurt to lose Hansen- developing into a leader and 2 way top 6 forward, but it opens up a spot for us to protect both Granlund and Gaunce.

thinking outside the box here, Ericcsson or Granlubd could be moved for a 1st- ericcson has a nmc but F that and we could eat cap to facilitate a good trade.

Sorry, I don't think you know what your talking about? Correct me if I'm wrong.

23 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

The Canucks will likely be a lottery team but id like them to embrace a rebuild and trade for more first round picks.

edler should get you a 1st +

Hansen should get you a 1st+

it would hurt to lose Hansen- developing into a leader and 2 way top 6 forward, but it opens up a spot for us to protect both Granlund and Gaunce.

thinking outside the box here, Ericcsson or Granlubd could be moved for a 1st- ericcson has a nmc but F that and we could eat cap to facilitate a good trade.

can't see granlund fetching us a 1st round pick. he has 3 points in the first 12 games so far this season. that does not scream to me as 1st round pick as an exchange. 

On 7/2/2016 at 2:09 PM, Derp... said:

Let me guess we need a franchise centre prospect? Not many around, but I could see us taking 

CASEY MITTELSTADT

Officially on the Mittlestadt train..

This guy right now is ranked just in the top 10. He's going to be a top 3 pick. Looks more exciting than Patrick.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Doesn't Vegas get the #1 pick?

I do expect Van will be drafting top spots for a few years.

LV will have the same odds as the team finishing 3rd last in the NHL, like us last year. 11.5% chance of winning the top pick. Basically 2 teams will have the same number of odds winning the lottery.  

And just like us last year, the lowest they can draft is 6th overall, the highest being 1st.

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He put up 108 points last year in the dub. Definitely pretty good numbers. He's not the greatest skater though, and doesnt have the flash like the high picks in the recent years. To be honest he reminds me a lot of RNH.

Besides both playing in dub and both playing C, there playing styles are completely different. Patrick is a shoot first player who drives the net more than not, while RNH is a passer who uses his vision to make plays. 

Mittlestadt looks like a bigger, slightly less electric version of Keller. I was very high on Keller last year and wouldn't have minded taking him 5th overall, but we have to see how the rest of the season plays out before I say the same about Mittlestadt. If he can increase his agility even more than what it is right now, he'll likely be on the same level as Keller for me.

I've heard a lot of good things about Valardi, Does anyone have a style comparison for him? Not necessarily a ceiling, just how he plays the game.

If he's available, I would pick Nick Suzuki with the 2nd round pick. Solid player all around; he can defend, forecheck, backcheck, pass, and shoot. Also one of the youngest players in the draft with an August birthday. The numbers are good too: .60 ppg (38 points in 63 games) as a 16 year old and 1.22 ppg (22 in 18 games) this year. He's putting up almost 4.5 shots/game. Safe pick with lots of potential to exceed expectations. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Granlund's value is probably a 3rd/4th round pick at this point and I'm not sure he is even worth protecting. Hansen's value is likely a 2nd + 4th/5th..

Hansen could fetch a low 1st and would be highly sought after by playoff bound teams.  Agree to disagree.