The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

That, a trip to the finals and a couple presidents trophies.  I still don't understand the hate for Gillis amongst Canucks fans.  

Gillis blew a great oppurtunity with what was handed to him by the Burke era. Gillis was unable to find the right pieces to a great - great team who should of made two cup appearances with the red hot Sedins.

Over the last 10 years Vancouver and Philadelphia were one and out in the finals and soon out of the complete picture, Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago and Boston made multiple trips because of their GM's making the right moves as opposed to failed moves which hurt the Canucks long term as well.

48 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So it seems to be that Benning is pretty high on Glass, Makar and Pettersson. Guessing it'll be one of those three.

I seem to recall him mentioning Mittlestadt (in glowing terms) a couple of times. 

22 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The only reason I have Glass over Makar at #5 is that as other posters have posted, next year, there are at least 2 other D-men that are arguably offensively better than Makar right now: Rasmus Dahlin and Ryan Merkley. 

Yeah I can't imagine us being all that much better next season. If we bring back Miller, maybe 1-2 decent free agents, but the loss of Sbisa and Tryamkin. Hard to imagine a scenario where we don't have a top 5 pick. Even if guys like Goldobin and Boeser come in and play well, I still feel like we're a bottom feeder again. I'd put my money on being a top pick again next year and getting one of those 2, or one of the other high end defenseman next draft.  Makar looks really good but it's a mistake if we don't end up with a center at 5. 

1 hour ago, winthecup said:

so Vegas has 13th and 15th pick.....trade 5th for those 2 picks maybe? Could get us Liljegren and Callan Foote. 

The way it could work is determine who Vegas would want at 5, and if it jives with who we want then make a trigger deal.  Take the player both teams want at #5, then if by #13 one of the ones we want to move down for is there, either trigger the trade then, or have Vegas take him (if they also like him) and see again what's there at 15.  If the second preferred guy is also there at 15, then pop the deal.

And yes, we could walk away with a Necas/Liljegren or Suzuki/Foote or even Kostin/Hague.

• Upvote 2

I think there's a pretty good chance Vegas trades into the top-2. They have the sheer number of top-60 picks to do it. It would be good for the NHL too, getting Vegas a young player that they can build around for a long time in either Hischier or Patrick. 

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I seem to recall him mentioning Mittlestadt (in glowing terms) a couple of times. 

True, but I have a feeling that the combine results may have soured him (as well as most GMs) on Mittelstadt a little bit, even if they don't want to admit it.

7 hours ago, Screw said:

It is not so much the inability to find superstars that saddens me. Every team can claim that struggle.  It is the knack for completely whiffing while at the plate.  The wasted first round picks that turn into AHL fodder at best or  nothing at all.

who are you talking about?    

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The way it could work is determine who Vegas would want at 5, and if it jives with who we want then make a trigger deal.  Take the player both teams want at #5, then if by #13 one of the ones we want to move down for is there, either trigger the trade then, or have Vegas take him (if they also like him) and see again what's there at 15.  If the second preferred guy is also there at 15, then pop the deal.

And yes, we could walk away with a Necas/Liljegren or Suzuki/Foote or even Kostin/Hague.

Yes, that's the smart way to do it if that's what they want to do.

I still think that they should take the best player possible and that means keeping the 5th OA.  Unless of course they can move up but Benning is saying that the cost is too high.  It's the same concept as when you make a trade, the team who ends up with the best player, invariably wins the trade.

I'm praying we land either Glass or Makar. If they're both gone at #5, I'd be happy with Petersson. I'm not super high on Heiskanen because we have Juo, and I'm not a huge fan of Vilardi or Mittlestadt (although I could easily be proven wrong). 

If we leave the draft with one of Glass or Makar, I'm calling that a big win for us.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Personally I have been lead to believe that Makar is the real deal. His opposition aside he has ALL the tools to be an elite defender. Explained as an analogy, It's like being able to do a double front flip off a low diving board and all your friends are doing single flips off a higher diving board. You look at the guy doing the doubles and think "wow this guy has some serious skill, it's only a matter of time before he brings it to the higher diving board". Of course this is exactly what Makar is doing next year by going to university (the higher diving board). Will the guys on the higher diving board to start ever get to double flips? Maybe not. 

:lol:

I don't think that's a great analogy since skill set varies against comp. 

Dale wiese looked like Gretzky in the dutch league.  Was that same skillset able to translate into the NHL.

Jankowski looked like an elite center against high school kids, has that same elite skillset been able to translate into the NHL.

Turris ripped apart the BCHL and was drafted 3rd overall as a franchise defining player, has his skill set been able to translate into the NHL? He's been good but he's not an elite #1 center.

There are countless examples of players who looked elite in lesser leagues but never could translate that elite skillset into the NHL level.

Skill set transition is all about development, and predicting how an 18 year old will develop is an extremely tough task.  That's why players who've proven their skill sets and are more sure things tend to go at higher picks.  Just look at all the #1 picks that jumped immediately into the NHL the following season, there's less risk about their skillsets translating and thus tend to get picked higher..

Sam Cosentino was on the radio today, and he feels Makar is the real deal but, the only reason he's getting this hyped up, is simply because of the fad the league is in right now with mobile D.  Two years ago he would have been ranked outside the top 10 because of the risk and size factor. The hype of the current fad is trumping, the risk card, not just for Makar but for the entire draft he feels this year will have the most players under 6'0" drafted in the first round in the last 10 years.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think that's a great analogy since skill set varies against comp. 

Dale wiese looked like Gretzky in the dutch league.  Was that same skillset able to translate into the NHL.

Jankowski looked like an elite center against high school kids, has that same elite skillset been able to translate into the NHL.

Turris ripped apart the BCHL and was drafted 3rd overall as a franchise defining player, has his skill set been able to translate into the NHL? He's been good but he's not an elite #1 center.

There are countless examples of players who looked elite in lesser leagues but never could translate that elite skillset into the NHL level.

Skill set transition is all about development, and predicting how an 18 year old will develop is an extremely tough task.  That's why players who've proven their skill sets and are more sure things tend to go at higher picks.  Just look at all the #1 picks that jumped immediately into the NHL the following season, there's less risk about their skillsets translating and thus tend to get picked higher..

Sam Cosentino was on the radio today, and he feels Makar is the real deal but, the only reason he's getting this hyped up, is simply because of the fad the league is in right now with mobile D.  Two years ago he would have been ranked outside the top 10 because of the risk and size factor. The hype of the current fad is trumping, the risk card, not just for Makar but for the entire draft he feels this year will have the most players under 6'0" drafted in the first round in the last 10 years.

I wouldn't consider mobile D a fad.  The league is so fast, mobile D is a necessity.  I don't ever see it going back to a pace where less than mobile D can flourish like they used to.