The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The good news is that Lockwood’s shoulder seems to have completely recovered and he’s only become stronger since his rehab and training this summer.

I also think it’s worth remembering that he’s never really gotten hurt from playing physical himself. Instead, his injuries have come at the hands of other players. The first one, IIRC, was a blindside or partial blindside hit where he went awkwardly into the boards. The second one, he was driving the net, and got spun around, lost control, and fell dangerously into the boards.

I think the adjustment for Lockwood is more about anticipating danger, understanding that his aggression provokes a response from the opposing team, and also bringing some spacial awareness to his game when he goes hard to the net, and where he can be vulnerable.

I don’t see Lockwood dialing his physical game back (or any reason why he should), but I do think part of his maturing process will be learning that he isn’t invincible (a lesson all young men need to learn).

He also needs to continue to build his size and strength, which he’s apparently done a great job with this summer, so that he has a little more “armor” built into his body to protect him from some of the inevitable collisions that result from his style of play.

Thankfully it’s happenimg now rather then when he’s in his mid late 20s or else it wouldn’t be healing as well.

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Congrats to Will Lockwood being named an Alternate Captain "A" for a very deep and talented Michigan Wolverine hockey team for 2018-19.    

Really hope he can stay healthy for a full season. He definitely has the skill to make it, but I’m really concerned about his endurance. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really hope he can stay healthy for a full season. He definitely has the skill to make it, but I’m really concerned about his endurance. 

I hope he stays healthy too. Kid deserves some better luck. I’m not too concerned about his endurance though. From everything I’ve heard, his shoulder is 100% and he’s come back this year in the best shape of his life and having added strength and muscle mass.

I tend to look at his injuries as far more to do with simple misfortune than any kind of issue with his durability. I think I’ve posted the clips here previously, but I’ll just post them again to remind people:

Here’s the first one:

I think a lot of players would get hurt on that play. Such a dangerous spot to get shoved from behind. Especially with a teammate there and already being off balance trying to avoid his own guy. Just gets shoved in the back and goes headfirst into the boards. I honestly don’t see that injury as an issue with durability. Just really bad luck (and a dangerous, dirty play from the guy who hit Lockwood).

Amazingly, Will (with a separated shoulder) got up and finished his PK shift, including blocking a shot, and didn’t leave the ice until his line changed. Tough kid.

Here’s the second one:

And another angle:

And this had happened just over a week before:

Again, to me these are just unlucky plays. 

His first injury, I don’t know what he could have done. Gets shoved right in the numbers, while he’s off balance, and at probably the most dangerous distance from the boards. That’s just a tough one. So many players get hurt like that.

The second one (and the clip from a week before), I think he could probably be a little more aware of the danger and do more to avoid putting himself in a vulnerable position in those kinds of situations.

But even still, that second one is such a “series of unfortunate events” play. Lockwood is just going to the net looking for a rebound. He doesn’t have the puck. And he gets spun around by the defender, clips his heels on the goalie, and goes flying, crashes hard into the ice, and then finally into the boards.

Again, just a bad one. I think most guys get hurt on that play. Or at least they are considered very lucky if they somehow escape unscathed.

TL;DR: I guess my point is that Lockwood’s injuries, to me at least, are less about durability and more about some really bad luck (and some dangerous/dirty plays by his opponents).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lockwood was absolutely flying in the first period. He was everywhere, making plays at both ends, getting physical, creating chances. making power moves, stick handling through guys at full flight. Probably the best player on the ice. Really excited to see what he does this season. Got the goal already and could've had a couple more points on some of the chances that the Wolverines didn't convert.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lockwood will be an NHL player if his shoulder holds up, whether that’s as a second third or fourth liner. He has too much speed and explosiveness mixed with physicality not to be.

He’s listed at 5’11 and 170 or so but he plays like he’s certain that he’s the biggest and fastest guy on the ice all the time. 

My favourite prospect bar none, including Hughes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grape said:

Lockwood will be an NHL player if his shoulder holds up, whether that’s as a second third or fourth liner. He has too much speed and explosiveness mixed with physicality not to be.

He’s listed at 5’11 and 170 or so but he plays like he’s certain that he’s the biggest and fastest guy on the ice all the time. 

My favourite prospect bar none, including Hughes.

He also looks very shifty with a great lateral game. He cuts to the middle and goes to the dirty areas! Doesn’t just use his speed as a North South type of player! I can definitely see him making it in a bottom 6 if like you said his shoulder holds up.

11 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

He also looks very shifty with a great lateral game. He cuts to the middle and goes to the dirty areas! Doesn’t just use his speed as a North South type of player! I can definitely see him making it in a bottom 6 if like you said his shoulder holds up.

After his last injury there was talk of him altering his physical game to prevent possible injury. It doesn't sound like he has changed much. The positive for Lockwood is he is playing his game against bigger body college athletes. If he can stay healthy that might help him transition to the NHL.