The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

This is not a worry to me.  I think this one will sign but I am not convinced he has what it takes to make it.  

What do you mean by this? This guy goes all out every shift. The issue is durability and I'm assuming it's because of the lack of strength. He's been told to dial it back a bit because he's going to wreck himself. The guy has what it takes to make it, but it's more of a question of if he can sustain a long term career. This is why I think he wants to have the college degree in his back pocket.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

What do you mean by this? This guy goes all out every shift. The issue is durability and I'm assuming it's because of the lack of strength. He's been told to dial it back a bit because he's going to wreck himself. The guy has what it takes to make it, but it's more of a question of if he can sustain a long term career. This is why I think he wants to have the college degree in his back pocket.

I just think he is an often injured poor man's Motte.  And Motte would not be on our team if we had decent quality depth.  So how does a poor man's Motte make a team when we fill out the squad properly and have Petey Bo and the Flow at their peak? 

Edited by TGT68

43 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I just think he is an often injured poor man's Motte.  And Motte would not be on our team if we had decent quality depth.  So how does a poor man's Motte make a team when we fill out the squad properly and have Petey Bo and the Flow at their peak? 

Motte was not our problem.....besides injuries and reffing our problem was Erikkson, Schaller and Spooner and Sutter (because he hardly played) Lockwood, in a years time will be better than any of those guys.

A 4th line of Lockwood / Beagle / Motte would be better than most 4th lines we tried this year...after injuries that is....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

He's had one season of injuries and has bounced back last season playing the full year. The assessment about Motte isn't far off at this point, but not sure about him being a poor man's version. Motte made the team this year from pure effort and kept it most of the season. This is what we want from our players. A team with decent quality depth will need effort budget guys to compliment the top end guys, so there will certainly be value for players like Motte and Lockwood even if he maxes out at Motte. I personally think Lockwood is more like Hansen with slightly better hands (and I think Motte isn't far off either) so solid bottom 6 guys which any team needs. Keep in mind Motte was dealt for a playoff rental (Vanek, who was be top 6 insurance) and this is something we can consider if we do indeed become a playoff team in the near future.

So with all that said, I believe he has what it takes to make the NHL which is the sticking point for me about your assessment.

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Sunshine this is business, not a grade a 12 popularity contest. This is his career, a limited career opportunity. Lockwood in his interview on 650 tells us this is about my future as a hockey player. His academic courses are mostly fillers. He believes his future as a hockey pro is best served in the NCAA league and coaching rather than Utica

Chill it's a joke. 

8 hours ago, TGT68 said:

No disrespect at all, but I'm completely sure you're basing this off of the fact that Motte and Lockwood played at the same school, and that Motte produced at a much higher level. And I'm certain that this is a ridiculous comparison for a few reasons, in the order of least to most important:

1. Lockwood is nothing like Motte stylistically, Lockwood drives with his speed and skill, Motte never drives/drove the play, and instead is/was a hard competitor who feeds off of his teammates.

2. Lockwood has had to play with significantly worse linemates (Josh Norris played half a year), Tyler Motte played with Dylan Larkin, Zach Hyman, Zach Werenski, JT Compher, and Andrew Copp. Four of those five players are major contributors on teams still in the playoffs, the other one is Dylan freakin Larkin. I bold this because I can't stress enough how much talent was on Motte's teams

3. If you're using that comparison, then does that mean that everyone who did not produce as much as Nail Yakupov did in the OHL, will ultimately be a poor man's Nail Yakupov? No disrespect to Motte here, but he hasn't exactly turned out to be a regular NHL'er who doesn't have to worry about his job like his college stats would indicate. This means nothing to Lockwood. It's better if you compare Lockwood's stats to a larger sample of players other than Tyler Motte.

Again, no disrespect here, the only reason I do this is because there seems to be many people comparing Lockwood with Motte which makes zero sense. It makes as much sense as saying Ryan Nugent Hopkins would be better than Joe Sakic because they're both from Burnaby and RNH was drafted higher. There is literally no comparison to be made and Lockwood is certainly not a "poor man's Motte." Not saying he's 100% going to turn out better than Motte, but that comparison is faulty by nature.

Cheers :)

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Grape said:

2. Lockwood has had to play with significantly worse linemates (Josh Norris played half a year), Tyler Motte played with Dylan Larkin, Zach Hyman, Zach Werenski, JT Compher, and Andrew Copp. Four of those five players are major contributors on teams still in the playoffs, the other one is Dylan freakin Larkin. I bold this because I can't stress enough how much talent was on Motte's teams

Lockwood had Quinn Hughes. 

:bigblush:

13 hours ago, TGT68 said:

You win playoff games with guys like Motte, Beagle and Roussel.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Sunshine this is business, not a grade a 12 popularity contest. This is his career, a limited career opportunity. Lockwood in his interview on 650 tells us this is about my future as a hockey player. His academic courses are mostly fillers. He believes his future as a hockey pro is best served in the NCAA league and coaching rather than Utica

What courses is he taking?

14 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Have you watched our team play? There is a reason we have camp, team tryouts.

Motte outperformed guys, including former 1st round draft pick, 6th overall no less, Sam Gagner. Who was cut to make room for Tyler who handed him his own ass. Then went out and, despite being the smallest guy on the team, lead the Canucks in hits. Just like Alex Burrows beat out guys. Motte brings it. Has speed, a fearless checking style, is not a wizard, but good with the puck.

Someone else mentioned the calibre of his team mates at Michigan? Motte also was a warrior there. Earned a spot on a line with Compher & Larkin. Which was considered the best line in the college hockey? It was no accident & Motte was part of it.

Lockwood is also known for that same infectious work rate. A gamer, a leader. Which is why he will be team captain.

I hope he signs with us next year. We need guys like Lockwood, Burrows, Motte...

Elite prospects description; https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/272186/william-lockwood

A hard-nosed two-way winger that thinks ahead of the play and seeks to be proactive whenever he is on the ice. In every situation, he exhibits haste, quickness, and urgency. He utilizes his high end footspeed to gain position on the opposition, and inherently knows how to create time and space for himself and teammates. Adheres to the physical side of the game and will initiate contact instinctively. Will will need to work on making quicker passes and decisions, as his vision can seem undermined due to reaction times being a second too late on some occasions, but his game is already at a point where these issues will not remain obstacles to his development for long. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, stawns said:

What courses is he taking?

He's taking 4 courses one of which is by his own account a "filler" and should he not make it as a hockey player after much hesitation he said maybe psychiatry but his thrust was hockey first. I don't know what sort of job you get with a B.A. in psychiatry but I'd think something like a social worker

Edited by Fred65

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's taking 4 courses one of which is by his own account a "filler" and should he not make it as a hockey player after much hesitation he said maybe psychiatry but his thrust was hockey first. I don't know what sort of job you get with a B.A. in psychiatry but I'd think something like a social worker

So three required courses for a BA in Psychology and an elective.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So three required courses for a BA in Psychology and an elective.  

That is NOT what I said. The kid said he was taking 4 courses of which one was a filler. It may well be that he may still need a summer course or two to complete his degree. It's not unheard of. Lot's of kids need extra courses to complete their degrees. One thing for sure being a student-athlete is not an easy task. You need some soft or filler courses to keep your GPA at an NCAA acceptable level.

56 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

A BA in psychiatry? Is that anything like a BA in surgery or internal medicine? You are pretty funny.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

A BA in psychiatry? Is that anything like a BA in surgery or internal medicine? You are pretty funny.

Here's the difference I don't see a Bachelor's degree in psychiatry as a good plan B for anyone. I guess it depends on life experience and perspective. If you're working at McDonald's then I guess it is a step up, if you're an analyst with  Goldman Sachs then it's a step-down