The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Carcone | LW/RW

Ichiban604

29 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes and if one of our bottom wingers are struggling to score.

And if they're playing well defensively despite not scoring? Probably not enough reason to call up anyone without an injury necessitating it. He could still be behind Zalewski, LaBate, etc.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

If he is also playing well defensively, 10 goals in October might.

Of course if he scores 10 goals in his next three games, then sure... :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Carcone ranks #20 in the Canucks Army midterm proaspects rankings: http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/11/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-19-20

Open spoiler below to read their full writeup:

# 20: MICHAEL CARCONE 

STATS:

michael carcone stats 

Clocking in at #20 on our consensus ranking is Utica Comets forward Michael Carcone. Carcone went unselected in back-to-back NHL Entry Drafts before making an impression at the Canucks' Young Stars Classic as an invitee. Carcone was signed out of training camp by the Canucks, and was subsequently assigned to the Comets. 

Since then, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, struggling to make it into the lineup at times and scoring just three points in 26 AHL games. That's more or less the reality of looking at the 20th prospect in a pool that's already relatively thin. That said, Carcone shouldn't be written off just yet. He's still a rookie, a 20-year-old in a men's league, and Travis Green is notorious for refusing to play young players in high-leverage situations. Consider that when the Canucks signed Ben Hutton, he was unable to make it into the Comets' lineup on a regular basis, but made the Canucks' opening lineup that October. 

When viewed through the lens of pGPS, Carcone does have a few comparables despite his uninspiring boxcars from this season, carrying an expected success percentage of 12.4%. The good news is that's a decent find for an undrafted free agent. The bad news is his most successful statistical cohort is Mike Brown, and his expected production is just 9 points per NHL season. 

carcone pGPS 

Carcone flashed enough skill in his final year in the QMJHL to indicate he's worth keeping tabs on, scoring 47 goals and 89 points in 66 games as a 19-year old, with the bulk of his production coming in the form of primary points. He was an older player who shot over 20%, though, which is why he isn't higher on our list. He's young, has a decent amount of skill, and speed to burn, so it's still possible he can overcome his 5'9" stature and exceed the expectations set out for him by pGPS.

Carcone is one of those players where we probably won't know what we have until year 2 and 3 of his ELC. He impressed me at camp and he's shown flashes of that in the AHL. He's a very good stickhandler and skilled at escaping defenders in close quarters, but there is even less space at the AHL level than there is at the junior level to do that. He reminds me a little bit of Mike Zalewski in his first year with the Comets, in the sense that the effort is there but the offense isn't coming with it yet. A 2.7% shooting percentage is something that will improve with experience and with higher quality opportunities.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Next year I think him and Cassels will have break out seasons. 

Would love this to happen. I'm not sure I've seen quite enough from either of them yet to really bet on it becoming a reality. But there have been reasons for optimism recently and hopefully they can both carry their improved play into next season and then expand on it.

EDIT: hopefully the incoming talent that should be joining Utica will help them take things to the next level. Upgrading their linemates could really help guys like Cassels and Cardone develop (and also see them converting on more scoring plays). Of course, the other side of the equation is that an influx of young talent might see there guys passed by and losing their icetime and lineup roles to their new teammates. But hopefully the returning Utica players will mesh well with the new additions and we'lll see significant teamwide improvements that will allow everyone (both new and "old" Comets players) to raise their games to the next level.

Carcone and Pelletier have started to foster some nice chemistry. Rendulic's usually the third member of that line (he missed today's game) and has been hot lately too. Carcone's skill level has been apparent all season and he's not afraid to throw the body despite his size, but he's been focusing more on the skill aspect of his game recently and has shown signs of understanding the pro game a bit better. I'd expect him to continue to take steps forward next year and perhaps in year three of his ELC we'll have a player there. Time will tell.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 6:35 PM, CanuckleHorse said:

In a tie with Zak MacEwen for my favourite crazy Frenchman maybe a Cooke type love him or hate him Cooke was a competitor and helped teams win let's hope Carcone ain't as dirty.

I don't know if he's french actually. I think he grew up in Ontario, not sure about his parents though with that last name. 

Where is the love for MC 58?

This guy quietly had a great first year in the pro's. His 5v5 stats were very good compared to his peers, and we should definitely thank JB for getting him under contract.

I know Green has seen this guy play a lot, and I imagine he will be pushing to make the team out of camp this fall, because of his work ethic.

Here's some quick 5v5 numbers for you (Min 20 games).

• 14th in primary assists per game (0.15) for 19-21 year olds. (Better than Svechnikov, Roslovic, Mangiapane, Kapanen, Fiala, Connor, Hunt, Chartier, Meier, Virtanen, Tuch, Gurianov, Amadio, Vrana, Cornel, Kempe, De Leo, Timashov, Bittner, and more)
  • 8th in primary assists per 60 (0.86) for 19-21 year olds. (Better than all the guys above + Barbashev, Debrusk, Milano, McCann, Greer, Dal Colle, Kamenev, Fischier, Goldobin)
  • 9th best GF%Rel at 7.78% (The only guys better than him were Shawn Ouellette-St. Amant, Fiala, Mandat, Tuch, Vrana, Bunting, Kamenev, and Connor.)
  • 14th Best GF% at 55.56% (The comets were a better team with Carcone on the ice than with him off. I expect with a bigger role, and more special teams time next year he will be one of the Comets best all round players.)

As you can see at 5v5 this guy is producing assists and goals for his team at an equivalent rate to a lot of first and second rounders. Although he didn't pile up the points this year, he was more effective than most people probably thought he was going to be.

A nice bonus is that he had 3 points in his first 26 games, 4 in his next 13, and 8 in his next 11. He finished the year with 3 points in his last 11 games, but the Comets were struggling to make the playoffs at that point. Also of note he only had a shooting percentage of 5.7%. If he can improve his shot volume and shooting percentage next year we could see him jump from 5 goals to 15.

Solid year from a guy that looked good last fall.

@Derp...: cheers for this ^^^

Heard a ton of Comets fans this season saying Carcone had excellent work rate but wasn't producing much in the way of tangible results with all the effort. The stats you cite show the value in looking deeper at numbers. Seems that Carcone was having an on-ice effect that went beyond just having a high "try quotient" but one where his presence was helping his team win the majority of the minutes he played.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see from his highlights that almost all of his points come from being around the net. I think he has the potential to be a solid Bottom 6 NHLer in the speedy NHL of today.

Hands are good, strength is good, speed is good, elusive skating, shot is fine, good vision. I don't know if he has one trait that stands out as NHL level, but I'd say his compete level, and hockey IQ are right there with some bottom 6 NHL players already. If we are lucky he could end up being a Conor Sheary type of player. Sheary didn't make his AHL debut till he was 22, Carcone just finished his first season at 20. Sheary is not a prototypical example of prospect development, but neither is Carcone.

Archived