The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign F Sean Monahan [7 year x $6.3M AAV]

b3.

Hey, Johnny, you’re up.

The Calgary Flames and top centre Sean Monahan have agreed to terms on a new seven-year contract, the club announced.

The deal is worth approximately $44 million, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

Monahan, 21, became a restricted free agent on July 1 and negotiations between the club and agent Pat Morris had been ongoing.

In 81 games in 2015-16, the 6-foot-3, 195-pound native of Brampton, Ont., scored 27 goals and a career-high 63 points. He was selected by Team North America to participate in September’s World Cup of Hockey.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sean-monahan-signs-huge-long-term-deal-calgary-flames/

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So now they have to sign their resident midget to at least the same + more likely ......?  Then all of a sudden their a high cap team with expectations - sounds legit....:rolleyes:

I hate the Flames but their resident midget can make good d-men look like absolute pylons in their own end.

27 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

At least we get nice benchmarks when we go to negotiate Bo's contract. 

??? 

Monahan is a consistent 60+ pointer. 

Horvat has one 40 point year. 

These are hardly comparable players. There's a pretty big difference between a 1st and 2nd liner. 

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He did it twice.   I guess that means Edler is a consistent 40+ point d-man then.

Twice in 2 of his first 3 seasons and is only 21. The last two seasons he managed 60 points I might add. Hardly the same thing, but calling him a consistent 60 point player is a stretch at this point I agree.

god , it hurts me to say  this but ......  uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh     congrats flames fans .. ugh ..   thats an excellent deal ... 

thats so hard to do ..      but really .      what a great contract for a really dynamic player . 

now , I hope you lose and miss the playoffs .  

congrats again       lol

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He did it twice.   I guess that means Edler is a consistent 40+ point d-man then.

He's had 3 NHL seasons rofl. 

If you think Monahan is suddenly going to stop being a 1st liner then idk what to say. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's a bit at the high end for his comparables. 

Barkov 5.9 aav

Forsberg 6 aav

Scheifele 6.125 aav

McKinnon 6.3 aav

But nothing to be up in arms about.  That leaves close to 9 million to lock up Johnny (i'm thinking around 7ish) 

Id rather have anyone you named than Monahan.

14 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Id rather have anyone you named than Monahan.

Ok, but they didn't draft those players, those other teams did. They drafted Monahan, who's a phenomenal talent.

Not as if they can just say, "Hey, we like Monahan, but we like 1st overall pick MacKinnon instead :wacko:"

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

??? 

Monahan is a consistent 60+ pointer. 

Horvat has one 40 point year. 

These are hardly comparable players. There's a pretty big difference between a 1st and 2nd liner. 

Horvat and Monahan are absolutely comparable players.  Monahan at this point is more desirable BUT he's also Got significantly more ice time with significantly better line mates than Bo. 

Im not saying Bo would necessarily put up the exact numbers Monahan has as I think the latter will be more offensively minded while the former will be a bit more defensively minded. 

All of that said... Good signing by the flames. 

Meaning unless Horvat eclipses the 60 point plateau in the next few seasons he should be a 5.15 million per year contract?

Monahan is an absolute gem.  Anyone saying they wouldn't want that guy on their team is out to lunch.  Great signing

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Except.. since Monahan's done it at the age of 20-21. High probability he will be a 1st liner player for the rest of his career based on previous star players. For defensemen, again based on previous players, it is easy for some to score 10+ goals or 40+ points in a few seasons and suddenly just disappear. 

And here I am explaining common sense to CDC. 

Archived