The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Early Success

JamesB

Reason for Early Success  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The biggest reason we are off to a good start is Jim Benning. 

This is truly his team, his coach and his vision. I do not believe his work is near done, but we can see what type of team he is building.  

Good point. Can't wait to see Boeser try to crack the lineup next season. If he turns out to be what it looks like he might be, thats going to make us all forget about dropping down to 5th in the lotto last draft. 

Our young players have stepped up. The goaltending has been great so far while the defense has really stepped it up. The Sedins while not scoring, have looked fairly dangerous when they have been out there. Bo Horvat has been on fire to start the year and Sutter and Gudbrandson have really helped fill up some of the major holes we had in our lineup last season. We have also played two fairly weak teams to start the year and one above average team. This helps us as we haven't faced a team that is considered a threat to win the cup yet. Now we have Buffalo which could be another win with them missing their best players. 

We've been controlling the puck way better this year. Shot attempts and high danger scoring chances look to be in our favour. Honestly we've been unlucky not to score more. We're averaging 12 more shot attempts per game than our opponents and have 7 goals on 89 shots for a team shooting percentage of 7.9%, St Louis has a team shooting percentage of 11.3%

At 5v5 we have a 130 shot attempts for through 3 games and that's top 10 in the league.

But We've given up the least amount of shot attempts against at 5v5 in the league.

5 goals on 130 shot attempts at 5v5 and no powerplay goals should actually improve as we go along.

This time last year we were -29 in shot attempt differential at 5v5 yet were still winning games.

Compare that to plus 36 this year and you can see that this team has taken some steps.

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The biggest reason we are off to a good start is Jim Benning. 

This is truly his team, his coach and his vision. I do not believe his work is near done, but we can see what type of team he is building.  

Everything is coming together because the 31st ranked GM put it together. 

MG gets a snippet of credit for starting the process, Utica is essential, Horvat, Hutton and Gaunce are all his picks and Tanev was an excellent signing.  

We obviously won't keep up this pace, and I expect us to have an up and down year and be one of the bubble team/dark horse candidates, clubs will likely take for granted in the first half.  We will get a true sense of how things are in the second half. 

Dont underestimate confidence and what effect it can have on fine motor skills.  Almost everyone is skating with it, save Eriksson and Virtannen. Whether this team can keep battling thru the tough spells and maintain its confidence will determine our season. 

EW

Good points from the big picture, especially about his work not being done. I've always looked at from a place of stages of transition until he's finally working with a full roster of players that align with his original vision.

This year we're starting to see the foundation. We're much more stable on the back end and it shows. The next stage we should see more focus on filling the holes in our forwards, as our D also improves. And that will dovetail with the addition of Boeser and contracts coming off the table. 

Bigger picture, yeah, I agree. These first three games, you can look and say the plan is working. But way, way too early. Back end looks good, our net is solid, we're healthy, Sutter has made a difference, our youth has contributed, we've battled, have better comeback, and confidence. All reasons why we're 3-0.

At this point, I'm trying not to second guess that and just take it game by game to see how we're different from last year. 

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And sometimes like now, you play well AND you win.  Scoreboard, eye test, and advanced stats all concur.

Yeah like wtf? These past 3 games are some of the worst examples of playing poorly and winning there can be..

we've generated more scoring chances every game (maybe not vs. Car, but still scored 4) than the other team, are 3-0. not to mention that we have outlasted every team by having great 3rd periods

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good points from the big picture, especially about his work not being done. I've always looked at from a place of stages of transition until he's finally working with a full roster of players that align with his original vision.

This year we're starting to see the foundation. We're much more stable on the back end and it shows. The next stage we should see more focus on filling the holes in our forwards, as our D also improves. And that will dovetail with the addition of Boeser and contracts coming off the table. 

Bigger picture, yeah, I agree. These first three games, you can look and say the plan is working. But way, way too early. Back end looks good, our net is solid, we're healthy, Sutter has made a difference, our youth has contributed, we've battled, have better comeback, and confidence. All reasons why we're 3-0.

At this point, I'm trying not to second guess that and just take it game by game to see how we're different from last year. 

It is very early to know which way this team will go, but things look promising. 

JB's foundation plan seems to have merit and I am glad to have supported him on this board.  Everyone is working hard on the ice, win lose or draw, that is the type of Canucks hockey I want to see.  

Healthy Sutter, Hank, and Edler. Younger players all a year older and hungrier than ever. No Bart and Weber to weigh the d-core down. Gudbranson and Tryamkin add a sense of "we're not gonna get pushed around". However, I think the most important piece to this puzzle so far is Doug Jarvis. I think he has been very instrumental in the structure we're seeing. Add Manny into the fold and suddenly we have a coaching staff that actually knows how to teach the structure needed to compete with bigger, better teams. Positioning at the elite levels is of the UTMOST importance. Without good team play, you cannot win.

21 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

The main reason? 

Tanev 

Edler

Hutton

Gudbranson

Sbisa 

Larsen

Solid top 6. Stable enough top 6. 

I am seeing an entire team effort from the coaches to EVERY player on the team giving 100%. Nice to see for a change. Funny how the Sbisa, Edler etc. haters are no where to be found. :lol:

On 10/19/2016 at 11:42 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

There are a few things that come to mind regarding this early success.

1) having a healthy line up especially Sutter and a resurging Edler seems to be making a difference 

2) the addition of  Gudbranson , deletion of Weber and Bartkowski.

3) Having Jarvis onboard seems to be making a huge difference on the defensive side of things.

4) Better success on the 3v3. 

5) Horvat Baertschi Hutton development continue to improve. 

6) the play of the 4th line especially Dorsett. 

7) the 2 negatives are the PP needs to start clicking and the obvious gotta stop trying to play catch up, let's see how we do with leads.

This post has a lot of what I was going to say so I'll cherry pick off of the points you made.

I voted for Other and Healthy.

Other because I think there is an overlooked aspect to this team and that is leadership and experience. The reason that Burrows is on this team is for his locker room presence and his hustle. This leadership group was 1 game away from holding the cup and they have seen it all. There have been several seasons where they have been called the cardiac Canucks or the comeback kids, when they won the presidents trophy back to back for example. The Sedins haven't lost a step and they never will, they let the puck do the work for them. They are several years from retirement and now they have they're Kesler back with Bo. Most of the players that Benning has drafted have been a part of the leadership group on his team and that bodes well for the future. 

Healthy because we only had our starting lineup on the ice for 2 games last year. It definitely showed in performance and the team never had a chance to generate any chemistry. It was probably the best thing that could've happened to the franchise though. We developed players within the NHL 9 rookies in the lineup and we  dressed 38 players last season  http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=77&year0=2016

1)I think it's clear that we are better with Brendan Sutter in the lineup. For the amount of crap that Edler takes, he's the #1 on this team. When we need a shutdown pair it's Edler and Tanev. When we need an offensive pair it's Edler and Larsen.

2)Guddy +Larsen>>>>>Bartkowski and Weber. Eriksson will start to produce eventually, but his play away from the puck and his defensive ability are apparent. 

3&4) Coaching has improved. There was a learning curve with WillieD and he has changed his style several times. He maybe took as long to learn the league as it takes some players, but the structure and positioning, is something the players understand and have bought into this season. This team is either going to win or lose a whole lot of 1 goal games. 

5)Horvat is a Phenom. Anyone saying that he can't be a #1 center isn't watching him play. It only took 1 game for him work his way off of the 4th line. Baertschi has more skill than anyone on the team and he is off to a slow start again, but he will start producing . Hutton with the experience of last season and a Jovo/Mitchell trained partner/enforcer, will be a pickin and a grinnin on the blue line this year. Gaunce is between 2 slices of skate until you puke. Larsen is being considered a prospect because of his time in the KHL and the same for the Rodin and the SHL. Those experiences are a positive for the player especially if they have already been playing the North American game. Rodin said he was at 80% and he still made the team.

Believe it or not, I didn't mention goaltending or luck from the poll.

I think Markstrom has improved and Miller is a technical freak. There isn't a problem in net and they will be responsible for winning games. 

We have been as unlucky in games so far this season as we have been lucky. We are playing a disciplined game and have the opposition shooting less than us.

I've said that I think we will finish 2 points out of a playoff spot, but that will depend on how far into our depth chart that we are forced to delve.

Archived