The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating Vancouver's defense corps

*Buzzsaw*

Only 4 games into the season, and no injuries to complicate things... but it seems to me there has been a seismic change in how the Canuck's blue line is playing.

There are no stars, no dominant players, but I really like what I am seeing, and I think the overall balance of the Canuck's D is potential top 10 in the league.

I expected much better play with the addition of Gudbranson, but the impact his presence has had is not just on the 3/4 pairing.

It has shaken right through the lineup...  All of a sudden the pressure is off all of the pairings... Hutton is looking great next to Erik, but so is Sbisa on the 5/6... no more worries about being matched up with the opponent's second line, he can focus on dealing with the 4th line and the bottom feeders.

I get a sense the pressure is also off Tanev and Edler.   Edler no longer has to be the big physical presence on the blue line, he can focus on his natural style of play, and him playing more relaxed also has Tanev playing better.

If Benning only did one thing over the summer, acquiring Gudbranson has to give him a + rating.

The only aspect of the Canuck's defense I am not sure of is Larsen.  I know they are looking for the first team PP Quarterback, but I am not sure he fits the bill.  I'd prefer to see Tryamkin get a chance on the 5/6 to play his way into being a real impact player.  The potential upside for him is far greater than Larsen.  Right now Larsen does not have a point despite being a regular on the first unit.  I'd say put Edler back on the 1st unit, he still has enough skill to manage a role there.

Overall, obviously it is early, but I'm really happy with what I am seeing.

I am going to give them a B+  ;)

And what I forgot to mention:

Combine this defense with the goaltending we have, and suddenly we are one of the stingiest teams around.

Markstrom:  1.65 gaa

Miller:           0.00 gaa

We have a goaltending controversey....  Which one is going to win the Vezina?       ;)

Haven't really noticed Tanev, but I guess it's a good thing for your shutdown guy to not be noticeable.  I've just seen that he makes the safe play of getting pucks out as needed and not letting guys beat him to the inside.  For a big-minute man whose focus is primarily on neutralizing chances in his own zone I'd say he's doing quite well.

Eddie has looked solid too, and not just with Tanev and on defense but with Larsen.  The two of them move the puck pretty well.

Gudbranson and Hutton have looked really good together though.  Hutton's solid in his own end but also has the mobility to do things up ice, while like many others I enjoy seeing Gudbranson play a solid, physical game while also jumping into offense when available (though often nothing more than hard shots from above the hash marks).

My view of Sbisa is similar to Tanev-- surprisingly safe, and despite getting caught up ice a couple of times the team hasn't gotten burned for it.  Credit to Larsen. However, speaking of #63, I like how mobile he is and how he gets shots through, but I can't help but feel that he's this year's Linden Vey or Jason Garrison, a guy given the opportunity to produce points on the PP but who, for all his talent, may fall short of expectations yet.  Thing is, with how he sets up on the point at the top of their umbrella, teams are already expecting Hank to feed it back to him (it doesn't really work to have Sutter in the crease when the extra defender will likely try to close him off should Hank pass to him), and unlike Garrison or Salo he doesn't have the bomb to hammer pucks through.  With that I would hope that they would continue to use him as the guy to walk the line as he's got good mobility, but maybe try to work it around so that Eddie takes the bomb instead, such as by switching Eddie and Larsen's spots on the blue-line to set up one-timers seeing how Eddie's got the better shot of the two.  

Haven't really noticed Tanev, but I guess it's a good thing for your shutdown guy to not be noticeable.  I've just seen that he makes the safe play of getting pucks out as needed and not letting guys beat him to the inside.  For a big-minute man whose focus is primarily on neutralizing chances in his own zone I'd say he's doing quite well.

Eddie has looked solid too, and not just with Tanev and on defense but with Larsen.  The two of them move the puck pretty well.

Gudbranson and Hutton have looked really good together though.  Hutton's solid in his own end but also has the mobility to do things up ice, while like many others I enjoy seeing Gudbranson play a solid, physical game while also jumping into offense when available (though often nothing more than hard shots from above the hash marks).

My view of Sbisa is similar to Tanev-- surprisingly safe, and despite getting caught up ice a couple of times the team hasn't gotten burned for it.  Credit to Larsen. However, speaking of #63, I like how mobile he is and how he gets shots through, but I can't help but feel that he's this year's Linden Vey or Jason Garrison, a guy given the opportunity to produce points on the PP but who, for all his talent, may fall short of expectations yet.  Thing is, with how he sets up on the point at the top of their umbrella, teams are already expecting Hank to feed it back to him (it doesn't really work to have Sutter in the crease when the extra defender will likely try to close him off should Hank pass to him), and unlike Garrison or Salo he doesn't have the bomb to hammer pucks through.  With that I would hope that they would continue to use him as the guy to walk the line as he's got good mobility, but maybe try to work it around so that Eddie takes the bomb instead, such as by switching Eddie and Larsen's spots on the blue-line to set up one-timers seeing how Eddie's got the better shot of the two.

Overall though, if this safe play leads to the C_p at the expense of high-flying offense and Erik Karlsson-esque production on our blue-line, so be it.  

Our D right now has the potential to be epic, with one substitution, Sbisa out and Tryamkin in. Jury is still out on Larsen for me

but hes had his moments.

Edler: B+ Unbelievable how he has come back to looking like his old self again.

Tanev: B I wasn't really seeing why everyone was so high on him now I see.

Hutton: B He already looks like hes a jump ahead from last year he just needs to get into mid season form.

Gudbranson: B- We don't talk about him a lot but when we do its good things, he just needs to get comfy.

Larsen: C+ Hes as advertised on the power play, very impressed, but can he grow? Can he add to that game?

Sbisa: C+ Hes on the verge of making a B- but last game he disappeared into his ole lethargic shell, so hes on the verge of C- now.

Edler - A-. Not much offence but logging big minutes and very sound defensively so far

Tanev - B+. Not much offence, a few mistakes defensively but on the whole very solid

Gudbranson - A-. Not much offence, don't expect that from him but plays very hard. Only one or two big gaffs so far, great calming influence and veteran presence on the ice and in the locker-room.

Hutton - B-. Scored a nice goal, need to see more of that but he's been poorly positioned and shaky defensively at times. Still very good, bumps up to an A if he gets his offence going.

Sbisa - A+. Doing more than he's asked of. Don't expect offence but physically he's been a beast on the blueline, moreso than Gudbranson and hasn't made any big mistakes so far.

Larsen - B-. Needs to produce more offence, especially on the PP. He looks slick and good passer, but needs to get that shot through.

On the whole I say we have a top-10 NHL defence right now, combined with our great goaltending we're one of if not the best team to shut opponents down. Will be interesting to see how we stack up against a big physical forward group in L.A and then against the offensive powerhouses but so far we've shutdown some very good above average offences.

4 hours ago, jmahyoung said:

They are trialling Larsen right now... if he doesn't score, gets injured, etc. Troy Stetcher is the obvious callup.

I think Trymakin will get a shot before Stecher. If anything to see how the he is settling in with a intense training program. 

Archived