The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gotta feel sorry for the Sedins

Johnny Shotgun

Here are two guys who gave everything they had in their arsenal of hockey skills to the team.  Gave countless moments of thrills to the fans. Came so close in 2011.  Endured a constant barrage of scorn from media sources and players themselves on the ice for their desire not to go Gordie Howe in the corner.  Considered soft but look at the number of games played without injury and all the abuse on the ice the league turned a blind eye to.  Frankly two of the most durable players to have ever played.  And they never complained.  Not one team in the league or its fans would have not wanted them on their side despite what they say.   Off the ice they so much was given to the City of Vancouver and its citizens. Two of the classiest guys to have ever graced the NHL.  Vancouver will be at a loss when in a year or two they decide to hang up the skates and you know they feel just as bad as we fans do for not being able to see them hoist the Cup. These bros will never be replaced.

I'll never feel sorry for the Sedins. They'll never feel sorry for themselves either. 

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely love them more than my own father. 

They make close to 10 mill Canadian a year... Doing what they are the BEST at. 

They are extremely good looking. 

They are without a doubt the greatest duo of all time. Better than batman and Robin... Better than peanut butter jelly. 

...but yes I get what you're saying and it's too bad the league hates them. 

They will CERTAINLY NEVER be replaced. 

No doubt about it. Great players, great people. But feel sorry for them? I don't think so. They're two of the most adored, respected people in this city/province and hockey has made them very wealthy. JB even signed Eriksson to a huge deal to get him here to play with them. Other fan bases dislike them because they don't understand how the Sedinery is accomplished and the Sedins have, on occasion, made their opponents look silly at times. I can see how this would irritate other fan bases.

1 minute ago, Sedin Brothers said:

They had their chance in 2011 and had chances throughout their history. Sometimes it's not meant to be. It's not over, though..

Great to have Hank and Danny come on CDC and post in their own thread... you would have thought...  AWESOME> 

These two brothers and fine gentlemen are Hall of Fame material and total Class all the way.

As fans we have been very lucky to have had such outstanding players on our side,

and I for one hope they will stay with the organization in some capacity.

Also, we should have won in 2011,but the league has a different agenda,just look at LAS VEGAS to be able to come into the league and take great players from different teams not like Buffalo or Vancouver when we first started a bunch of plugs and old stars.

WOW, HOW LUCKY FOR THEM,THAT AND THE TAX LAWS ,is there any wonder no Canadian team has won the cup for so long!

Anyway,huge fan of the SEDINS,and the Canucks.

It aint over. These guys can sign on for a discount extension, and be amazing mentors and play low minutes on a number of roles for a few more years yet, like 2nd unit PP, 3rd line, etc. If they can be scaled back to 12-13 minutes per night once we have a new 1st line I think these guys can play to 40. 

wow I think of all Canucks ever Linden deserved a cup more,but saying that the twins had their shot as Linden did and it never worked out.I want the canucks to win a cup as I have watched all three time they came close.The twins last few years remind me of Naslund but they did it with more class , on camera they say little complains about the team and how they want to win but who doesn't so makes me think they are getting older and want to win.Best thing we can do for them is trade them to a team that has a shot to win it all so they can get the cup even if not with us!

2 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Here are two guys who gave everything they had in their arsenal of hockey skills to the team.  Gave countless moments of thrills to the fans. Came so close in 2011.  Endured a constant barrage of scorn from media sources and players themselves on the ice for their desire not to go Gordie Howe in the corner.  Considered soft but look at the number of games played without injury and all the abuse on the ice the league turned a blind eye to.  Frankly two of the most durable players to have ever played.  And they never complained.  Not one team in the league or its fans would have not wanted them on their side despite what they say.   Off the ice they so much was given to the City of Vancouver and its citizens. Two of the classiest guys to have ever graced the NHL.  Vancouver will be at a loss when in a year or two they decide to hang up the skates and you know they feel just as bad as we fans do for not being able to see them hoist the Cup. These bros will never be replaced.

I have alot of respect for the twins for all the reasons you have said. 

But i dont think i would say i feel sorry for them.

And really when you are lucky enough to do something you love so much and have it paid for by the fans, the way the Sedin's act is something we should expect from every pro athlete. Ide never buy my kid a sean avery jersey for example. 

Even the minimum salary in the league is tons more than most of us here on cdc make.

I hope i dont sound like im pooping on your thread im not.

We are really going to feel a deep sense of loss when they retire. So let make every comment from now till then be respectful ones. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

It aint over. These guys can sign on for a discount extension, and be amazing mentors and play low minutes on a number of roles for a few more years yet, like 2nd unit PP, 3rd line, etc. If they can be scaled back to 12-13 minutes per night once we have a new 1st line I think these guys can play to 40. 

Plus 100

51 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

wow I think of all Canucks ever Linden deserved a cup more,but saying that the twins had their shot as Linden did and it never worked out.I want the canucks to win a cup as I have watched all three time they came close.The twins last few years remind me of Naslund but they did it with more class , on camera they say little complains about the team and how they want to win but who doesn't so makes me think they are getting older and want to win.Best thing we can do for them is trade them to a team that has a shot to win it all so they can get the cup even if not with us!

There's still a chance they could all be on the ice with a Cup together some day. One of them may be in a suit, but there's still a chance :)

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

7 million reasons, each, why they are doing just fine.

I feel kind of bad for fans, because these contracts were Mike Gillis' final bad move, and have handcuffed the franchise.  Too much, and, too long.

Sedins have earned every penny we have paid them...

48 minutes ago, xereau said:

7 million reasons, each, why they are doing just fine.

I feel kind of bad for fans, because these contracts were Mike Gillis' final bad move, and have handcuffed the franchise.  Too much, and, too long.

Well being who they are and what they've done in Vancouver I don't think this was a bad move at all, locking them up assured Vancouver would keep them until their play would decline.

I understand looking now they just don't have that speed or ability to out perform the opposition top lines it seems, maybe just two weeks in to the season but that is what I have noticed, still extremely skilled and resourceful with the puck and with positioning but really dropped off a step if anything i've noticed.

I wouldn't agree it handcuffed the franchise because in the end the team wasn't going to be in a position to get any top line talent via the draft and they need to figure out and fast who can push for top line minutes because the time is pretty much now that the twins need to be scaled back and insulated more against the opposition.

Archived