The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

4 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

RE: Virtanen - Stop using Bertuzzi comparisons. No one will ever be like Todd Bertuzzi ever again. There hasn't been a player like him since.

For every Todd Bertuzzi, there are 100's of Zack Kassians, Kyle Beaches and Jake Virtanens.

RE: Hutton - I said #4, which is a 2nd pairing D-man, I'd peg him as a #5 at the moment.

RE: Tryamkin - That's a lofty projection. 2nd pairing is a much safer/likely outcome.

Hawks fan troll, you know Virtanen will be a 50 goal scorer

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

And almost a Richard Trophy Winner...

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Not if you check the actual stats. 1/2 his points have come with the twins, and the rest on Wille's line blender. The GA/60 when Willie had him with Granny and Chaput were horrendous.  

My eyes tell me that as soon as he was back on Sutter's line last game, he had three good scoring chances.  

On 2/8/2017 at 6:14 PM, Bure2Win said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about them hanging around a playoff spot any longer. There will be no mirage of how good they are and with their schedule over the next 2 months they should end up around 27th or 28th spot. If this organization is thinking their hiding anything or giving us fools gold they must really think we are dumber than a sack of hammers? As for them making trades they never really seem to come out on top anyway so there's nothing to really worry about?  lol

OK, everyone gets it, we're not a great team. The organization does not think you are dumber than a sack of hammers ( are you?), I'm sure they have their hands full running an NHL Team.Which none of us are capable of

So I ask you, why do you cheer for the canucks? I would love to hear

so we don't make the playoffs, so what, no one expected us too.

do you see progress in some of the young players?

The team did everything they could to win the cup in 2011, it was an amazing run, it was our time

this is not our time, not yet, but be a fan, support your team, yes be critical, be vocal, be passionate, but don't blame everything on "this organization"

On 2/7/2017 at 3:39 PM, S'all Good Man said:

WTF Alf? This is what 1/2 our lineup could very easily end up looking like next year (ages next season). That sure looks like a youth movement to me. And thats not couting a potential high draft pick, college free agent,  or another trade. You think Bo's "wasted" when the rebuild is more than 1/2 the team next year?

Baer (25)

Boeser (20)

Boucher (23)

Gaunce (23)

Granlund (24)

Horvat (22)

Virtanen (21)

Gudbranson (25)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (23)

Tryamkin (23)

Juolevi (20)

we are not wasting Bo's talent as he still got plenty of years left and he ain't in his prime yet.. but we are no where close to half way with the rebuild.. right now looking at that list.. we have a bunch of bottom 6 with maybe 2nd line potential other than hopefully Boeser.. and a bunch of 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman.. still lacking high high end top lines or top pairing defenseman.. Hutton Stecher and Tryamkin is good as a 2nd pairing guys.. they are not your top pairing defenseman.. hopefully Juolevi might be one.. but one can only hope

If JB and TL let UFAs walk for nothing this year (again), the stands will be even emptier next year. Continuing mediocrity is not a good business decision; they are not good enough to compete in the playoffs and not bad enough to win the lottery. I have to agree with this quote.

"Instead, they seem to fancy themselves as a competitive team right now. Their big off-season moves reeked of a win-now mentality – trading three cheap, young assets for Erik Gudbranson and throwing big money at 31-year old Loui Eriksson.

How they handle the next couple of weeks leading up to the March 1 trade deadline will be awfully illuminating. While they’re hardly flush with tradeable pieces, you’d figure players like Jannik Hansen, Gudbranson, Ryan Miller, and even Alex Burrows would potentially be enticing to teams that are loading up for the playoffs. They’d do well to recoup any prospects or draft picks they can, but based on this management group’s recent track record that course seems unlikely. Last year at this time they stood pat, letting Radim Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis walk for nothing. With each day they hang around the playoff race, it becomes easy to see them taking the same approach this season. 

If they do, it would be a gross miscalculation. The more quickly they come to the realization that any success they’ve enjoyed this season is fool’s gold the better off they’ll be for it moving forward. It’s been tough to watch the Canucks play this season, but it’ll be even tougher to watch them delude themselves into thinking they’re better than they really are just because they’ve happened to be on the fortunate end of a few close wins."

If JB and TL let UFAs walk for nothing this year (again), the stands will be even emptier next year. Continuing mediocrity is not a good business decision; they are not good enough to compete in the playoffs and not bad enough to win the lottery. I have to agree with this quote.

"Instead, they seem to fancy themselves as a competitive team right now. Their big off-season moves reeked of a win-now mentality – trading three cheap, young assets for Erik Gudbranson and throwing big money at 31-year old Loui Eriksson.

How they handle the next couple of weeks leading up to the March 1 trade deadline will be awfully illuminating. While they’re hardly flush with tradeable pieces, you’d figure players like Jannik Hansen, Gudbranson, Ryan Miller, and even Alex Burrows would potentially be enticing to teams that are loading up for the playoffs. They’d do well to recoup any prospects or draft picks they can, but based on this management group’s recent track record that course seems unlikely. Last year at this time they stood pat, letting Radim Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis walk for nothing. With each day they hang around the playoff race, it becomes easy to see them taking the same approach this season. 

If they do, it would be a gross miscalculation. The more quickly they come to the realization that any success they’ve enjoyed this season is fool’s gold the better off they’ll be for it moving forward. It’s been tough to watch the Canucks play this season, but it’ll be even tougher to watch them delude themselves into thinking they’re better than they really are just because they’ve happened to be on the fortunate end of a few close wins."

20 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

They're probably worth more than every member of CDC combined so they've gotta be doing something right.

Mostly a prudent choice in parents. Daddy Luigi owned an awful lot of really prime real estate. But I'm not actually taking the side of "literal retards" poster. Lol.

On 2017-02-09 at 8:09 PM, AbrasiveAjax said:

OK, everyone gets it, we're not a great team. The organization does not think you are dumber than a sack of hammers ( are you?), I'm sure they have their hands full running an NHL Team.Which none of us are capable of

The team did everything they could to win the cup in 2011, it was an amazing run, it was our time

this is not our time, not yet, but be a fan, support your team, yes be critical, be vocal, be passionate, but don't blame everything on "this organization"

First +1 in your history. I didn't even read your post I just love your username. 

On 2017-02-09 at 0:21 PM, Patrick Kane said:

Baer (25) - 2nd/3rd line winger

Boeser (20) - unknown 

Boucher (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Gaunce (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Granlund (24) - 3rd liner

Virtanen (21) - bust

Gudbranson (25) - #5 dman

Hutton (23) - #4 - #5 d-man

Stecher (23) - top 4 upside

Tryamkin (23) - top 4 upside

Juolevi (20) - unknown

I get a lot of flak for assessing players based on only what I have seen and I would have to agree. You use actual historical performance where guys like @S'all Good Man who give you negative reps for real time evaluation base their projections purely on hope and emotionally invested biased opinions. 

Virtanen for an example. The stunned goof showed up to training camp at 238lbs. Couldn't skate, couldn't breath. Gets sent down to Utica cuts his weight to 218, practices a lot, is taken under TG's wing. Is given all the ice time in the world and still can't score. He is running out of excuses. There is absolutely no evidence during his time as a pro that points to him being an NHL player. As of now. BUST. Can he turn it around? Yes I sure HOPE so. Because HOPE is all we have right now. 

Gudbranson: everyone talks about his goal crease presence, his bone crushing body checks, he is a brick wall in his own Zone. None of this is true. This is all artificially implanted in your brain through an overactive homertuatary gland releasing Bias endorphins. If you would have switched Sbisa and Gudbranson's jerseys, you would have all been losing your minds over how horrible fake sbisa (Gud) was playing. Be calling for Jim to throw him on waivers. Just 2 of many examples of people using hope and delusion to judge talent. 

On 2/9/2017 at 7:09 PM, AbrasiveAjax said:

A lot of people on here can't deal with an actual rebuild and even more can't admit that one is even happening.   

On 2/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, wai_lai416 said:

we are not wasting Bo's talent as he still got plenty of years left and he ain't in his prime yet.. but we are no where close to half way with the rebuild.. right now looking at that list.. we have a bunch of bottom 6 with maybe 2nd line potential other than hopefully Boeser.. and a bunch of 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman.. still lacking high high end top lines or top pairing defenseman.. Hutton Stecher and Tryamkin is good as a 2nd pairing guys.. they are not your top pairing defenseman.. hopefully Juolevi might be one.. but one can only hope

What Mike Gillis never understood was that a team is NEVER finished with a rebuild.  Renewal must be constant.  There are no arrivals.  There is no promised land to reach or arrive at.  It is a constant and endless process or evolution.  Ask Wally Buono, he get's it.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:52 AM, Matt_T83 said:

I would say that Baer is clearly developing into a legit second line player. He's only 24 and still has room to grow. 

You are right about some of those guys, but wrong about:

Virtanen - not a bust, just taking a long time to develop. Bertuzzi wasn't a good player right away. He took 6 full pro years before he broke out with 50 points in 80 games during the 1999-2000 season. Virtanen is a power forward and won't hit his stride for another 2-3 years. We just need to accept that.

Hutton will be a 2nd pairing D-man, for sure.

Tryamkin will be a 1st pairing D-man, and our version of Zdeno Chara.

You guys know that developing involves at least some sign of progress right? Bert's pt totals in JR starting from draft year with approx 60 GP each season: 58, 82, 119. Then he had a rookie season with 18g 39pts. He was evidently getting better and showing signs of being capable, whereas Jake hasn't shown us any progress. He hasn't shown that he can improve or adapt to anything new so far. I'd have no problem with Jake not making an impact in the NHL yet so far if he would at least show some signs of improvement or capability at lower levels, but he can't even handle that.

Tryamkin is/will be a great top 4 Dman but you guys really have to stop with the Tryamkin=Chara

7 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

You guys know that developing involves at least some sign of progress right? Bert's pt totals in JR starting from draft year with approx 60 GP each season: 58, 82, 119. Then he had a rookie season with 18g 39pts. He was evidently getting better and showing signs of being capable, whereas Jake hasn't shown us any progress. He hasn't shown that he can improve or adapt to anything new so far. I'd have no problem with Jake not making an impact in the NHL yet so far if he would at least show some signs of improvement or capability at lower levels, but he can't even handle that.

Tryamkin is/will be a great top 4 Dman but you guys really have to stop with the Tryamkin=Chara

You seem to have missed some information here. It is true that Bertuzzi scored 39 points his first pro season in the (much higher scoring at that time) NHL, which started when he was the same age Jake is right now. But he did NOT progress from there in his second and third pro seasons.

In Bert's second pro season, he scored 23 points in 64 NHL games, and in his third season, after scoring 18 points in 52 games, he was traded to the Canucks. Is that the type of progress/improvement you would like to see in Jake, who is in his second pro season?

You know, cherry picking information the way you did here does not make you look very honest. And when you do it for the purpose of putting down a Canuck player/prospect like Jake, you certainly don't look like a Canucks fan.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

You seem to have missed some information here. It is true that Bertuzzi scored 39 points his first pro season in the (much higher scoring at that time) NHL, which started when he was the same age Jake is right now. But he did NOT progress from there in his second and third pro seasons.

In Bert's second pro season, he scored 23 points in 64 NHL games, and in his third season, after scoring 18 points in 52 games, he was traded to the Canucks. Is that the type of progress/improvement you would like to see in Jake, who is in his second pro season?

You know, cherry picking information the way you did here does not make you look very honest. And when you do it for the purpose of putting down a Canuck player/prospect like Jake, you certainly don't look like a Canucks fan.

Every stat he posted though suggests Bertuzzi was better than Virtanen (up to this point in their career).  So yeah, while he regressed from a good rookie season I think the point the other guy was trying to make is that Bertuzzi showed promise at every stage. 

14 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I get a lot of flak for assessing players based on only what I have seen and I would have to agree. You use actual historical performance where guys like @S'all Good Man who give you negative reps for real time evaluation base their projections purely on hope and emotionally invested biased opinions. 

Virtanen for an example. The stunned goof showed up to training camp at 238lbs. Couldn't skate, couldn't breath. Gets sent down to Utica cuts his weight to 218, practices a lot, is taken under TG's wing. Is given all the ice time in the world and still can't score. He is running out of excuses. There is absolutely no evidence during his time as a pro that points to him being an NHL player. As of now. BUST. Can he turn it around? Yes I sure HOPE so. Because HOPE is all we have right now. 

Gudbranson: everyone talks about his goal crease presence, his bone crushing body checks, he is a brick wall in his own Zone. None of this is true. This is all artificially implanted in your brain through an overactive homertuatary gland releasing Bias endorphins. If you would have switched Sbisa and Gudbranson's jerseys, you would have all been losing your minds over how horrible fake sbisa (Gud) was playing. Be calling for Jim to throw him on waivers. Just 2 of many examples of people using hope and delusion to judge talent. 

I give people negatives who support the Hawks on CDC. Go to their site if you want to wank over Kane. 

Archived