The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Harvard senior Alexander Kerfoot

Ossi Vaananen

23 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Because in the Canadian leagues the players are 16-20, meaning an overager is playing against inferior players. College players can be as old as 24-25, and most roster players are above 20. In terms of strength/ability, a 16 y/o is far inferior to a 24 y/o. So a 20 y/o in college is facing much harder competition than a 20 y/o in junior.

Thank you. So I'm assuming then that it is somewhat a pro league to be compared to the ahl? 

On 2017-02-22 at 3:27 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wheww! Was worried Jim still hadn't learned how to hold a poker hand properly! ty

On 2017-02-22 at 3:24 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Are we ALLOWED to express public interest, before Jimbo dots the T's & crosses his eyes?

derp.

have you heard Benning say a word about Kerfoot?

I think you're confused about who "we" are.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone know what kind of game he plays?

overall not too glowing reviews, some scouting reports in this article.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/16/alexander-kerfoot-and-canucks/

The West Vancouver native is tied for 21st in NCAA scoring. What stands out for him, is his low shooting rate. His 2.81 SH/GP puts him in the 100’s of skaters. Couple with a reasonable shooting percentage (18.4%) for the NCAA, you would like him to shoot more. If he could’ve increased that rate, then production would’ve likely followed. That said, Hockey Prospectus had a scouting report on Kerfoot in late 2015 that mentioned his shooting strength as a weakness

Alexander Kerfoot’s speed got him noticed and keeps him on the radar. His puck skills and hands are good enough to add to the picture, but his other deficiencies – particularly his lean frame – make his future tenuous. At best, he could be a bottom line player who scores 7-10 goals a year from turnovers which lead to odd-man rushes. At worst, the Devils do not offer him a pro contract after his Crimson career ends.

SBN College Hockey News had Alexander Kerfoot listed as the 98th best NHL prospect in the NCAA, and had the following scouting report on him:

A 2012 NHL Draft selection of the New Jersey Devils, he is undersized, but he has above average speed and exceptional vision. He does a good job of creating time and space for his linemates by using his quickness to separate from defenders.

I reached out to Shane Malloy, co-host of Hockey Prospect Radio on NHL Network,  for another scouting report:

An intelligent puck possession playmaking center who can play on the wing that has good passing ability whether stationary or at speed. Uses the give and go well and can draw defenders to create time and space for his line-mates. Is a quick darting skater with the agility to dodge and roll off defenders. He defensive game has matured once his defensive habits such as an active stick, head on a swivel, taking correct angles became consistent.  He lacks size and strength to compete and win one on one battles for pucks and body position so he must use his hockey sense and skating to compensate. He is beginning to shoot with greater frequency which makes him less predictable with the puck in the offensive zone.

Haven't seen him myself but sounds like he'd be a good Utica player to start with call-ups to the NHL for potential to stick.

Never know some times effort + skill can translate into some really good things in the NHL. May look good with Sutter as a playmaker to set up his shot in the slot.

Eliteprospects has Kerfoot as a C/RW but shoots left, maybe could work with Baertschi - Horvat as well.

12 minutes ago, goblix said:

overall not too glowing reviews, some scouting reports in this article.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/16/alexander-kerfoot-and-canucks/

Haven't seen him myself but sounds like he'd be a good Utica player to start with call-ups to the NHL for potential to stick.

Never know some times effort + skill can translate into some really good things in the NHL. May look good with Sutter as a playmaker to set up his shot in the slot.

Eliteprospects has Kerfoot as a C/RW but shoots left, maybe could work with Baertschi - Horvat as well.

Those reports are from a couple years ago so it's possible he improved some of those aspects.

Either way having speed and playmaking ability are a good foundation. Adding things like size and strength are pretty common with project players like him. Get him on a good training program and he may be able to take his game to another level.

• 2 weeks later...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/03/16/will-devils-lose-hobey-baker-finalist-kerfoot-to-vancouver/

“It’s exciting, I grew up a Canucks fan and I still follow them,” Kerfoot said, per News 1130. “But at this time I’m just focused on Harvard and my plan is to meet with the Devils after the season.

“It was a dream to play for the Canucks growing up, but I’m property of New Jersey and I’m not looking past the Devils at this point.”

• 2 months later...

4. It doesn’t sound like Alexander Kerfoot is going to sign with the Devils. The fifth round pick in 2012, who played four seasons at Harvard, can become an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 and Shero didn’t shy away from hinting that’s the path he believes Kerfoot will take. The Devils can still sign Kerfoot once he becomes a UFA and it’s not like there’s any bad blood between the Kerfoot camp (kamp?) and the Devils like, say Kevin Hayes knew he didn’t want to sign with the Blackhawks before going the same route as Kerfoot appears ready to travel and signing with the Rangers. At the same time, Kerfoot can drive up his price through open bidding and also pick an organization where he believes he has the best chance for success, both individually and team success.

source: http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/05/26/top-10-impressions-after-chatting-ray-shero/348394001/

this interview is recent, dated May 26

1 hour ago, Nuck1991 said:

4. It doesn’t sound like Alexander Kerfoot is going to sign with the Devils. The fifth round pick in 2012, who played four seasons at Harvard, can become an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 and Shero didn’t shy away from hinting that’s the path he believes Kerfoot will take. The Devils can still sign Kerfoot once he becomes a UFA and it’s not like there’s any bad blood between the Kerfoot camp (kamp?) and the Devils like, say Kevin Hayes knew he didn’t want to sign with the Blackhawks before going the same route as Kerfoot appears ready to travel and signing with the Rangers. At the same time, Kerfoot can drive up his price through open bidding and also pick an organization where he believes he has the best chance for success, both individually and team success.

source: http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/05/26/top-10-impressions-after-chatting-ray-shero/348394001/

this interview is recent, dated May 26

Based on comments from Kerfoot, sounds like the Canucks may have some news during the summer doldrums if they can sign him. Utica needs some players so Kerfoot may be a decent project to take on.

Alex Kerfoot's dad is part owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps and is likely friends with Aquallini. Wouldn't be super shocked if Kerfoot ends up with the Canucks. He's a local and there's opportunity here for him to play some meaningful NHL games next season -- though, no matter what team signs Kerfoot, he's likely destined to spend some time in the AHL.

I could see Kerfoot not signing with the Canucks if he doesn't want to play in the city he's from. It'll be a tough choice for him. And it'll be interesting to see what Kerfoot does in August.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Any updates on Kerfoot and where he is leaning towards signing come Aug. 15?

Not necessarily where he's leaning, but that's he's leaning to going to free agency...

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2017/06/11/new-jersey-devils-basically-giving-alexander-kerfoot/

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/07/are_the_devils_still_hopeful_to_sign_f_alex_kerfoo.html

• 3 weeks later...

Bee hive says the 5:10 Center wants to have good opportunity to play his position an hypothecated ,that  he would go where the best chance existed to do just that. There where assertions that he viewed Van as not so good as in depth he would slot at 5 th Center at best.Hence he will assess all opportunities to have best chance to play.

Archived