The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

3 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

You folks that like to complain about things you don't know about.. what team do you work for?? Because you must be employed by an NHL team to pass these kinds of judgments. 

This is thread is more of a failure than JB

Folks that like to pretend things are rosy and rainbows, even going as far as arguing no mistakes have been made. How much do the canucks marketing team pay you? It better be in lobster rolls, those are delish.

I'd never question any one's fandom on this board or their love for this team even if they disagreed with me. But I notice the regime defenders never hesitating to pull this card. 

Attack the argument. Give me your reasons why you think OP is wrong 

As for your appeal to authority argument. I guess that means you should cease discussion on any NHL player then? Since you have no idea what playing at the NHL level entails and therefore shouldn't form an opinion or judgment on any player.

Hindsight is 20/20.  what happens though if we deal miller in late December early January and Markstrom falters or gets injuried.  if that happens then he is dragged onto the streets and judged even harder by ruining the development of bo, stecher, baer, Hutton etc.   

there is zero way a single person can please everyone. he would be more scrutinized and hated if he moved miller and the team fell apart.  the way he did it though kept us fans engaged and the culture enacted. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well, what did we get for Hamhuis and .Vrbata last TDL?  

I don't remember Alf being so rhetorical - falling out of character are we?

But I'll bite: nothing. And who's to blame for that? Vrbata said himself if he wanted to be traded he would have. He made it difficult if not impossible for a trade to happen. Hamhuis wasn't so bad, but he didn't make it easy either, with really one of his 3 teams capable of trading for him (who then made the wrong decision in trading for Russell and lowballing Benning to try and get Hamhuis anyway).

But while Hamhuis is on the same pace as last year, it's arguable he's been worse. He's struggled on the road, and most of his points have come in Dallas wins. It's great to contribute when your team's playing well (and at home at that!) but another thing to put up points in any situation, more like he did his last year with us.

If Dallas really does want to trade him, they'll get something but I'll be surprised if it's a first.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

Janisahockeynut there's no need for a thread like this. Benning got a team with terrible prospects and players from the 2011 era that were past their primes and wanted out. 

Like u said he's done a great job drafting. And expect that to continue.

Traded wise he may not be that great but he's doing what he can to get younger and build a team that fast strong and hard to play against. Sure his trades might not always work out but point me in a direction of a gm that's always right. Doesn't exist.

Bennings doing a fine job considering what he got. We just need a good pick in the 1-5 range this year and next year along with boeser gaudette Juolevi Demko and virtanen to all turn out. 

This team just needs time and everything would go by quicker if we traded Hansen Burrows Edler Miller. But trades are hard to make in today's NHL. 

Just give it time 

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Whining and more pre-emptive whining. Trying to be competitive is not the same as win now or thinking we are contenders. That's just what idiots with poor comprehension skills assume.

this is exactly right.  he doesn't want our young core players feeling like they can take a shift off.  having your team compete with dedicated and hard working vets assures certain standards.  if your kids grow up undisciplined how do you expect them to gain disicpline if they weren't trained right.

you let them off easy without accountiblity when they are young and you are only screwing yourself in the long run.   only some players come hard wired to give it there all everyday.  contemplent is the enemy of any sports team. look at edler as an example. he's too comfortable and there lacks the ingenuity to expand his game. 

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Benning has been good and bad.

Tradewise he's break even. For instance, Eriksson is the worst trade in Canucks history.

But snatching Baertschi and Granlund was brilliant

Wait.... we traded for Eriksson?  Might have been a not so great UFA signing but  not a bad trade.

17 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Attack the argument. Give me your reasons why you think OP is wrong 

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

Or, you could/should have given reasons as to why you think the OP is right?  Seems only fair that you do what you're demanding of others.

I will give some reasons.  The OP states, like it is fact.  "Where Benning really falls down"....but what qualifies him in stating this like fact?

I don't think he's waiting for miracles as much as he's allowing for players to gel and develop (including chemistry).   He doesn't "let the team fall away"....it's easy to use hindsight in looking back.  But what kind of GM gives up on a team prematurely?   We've made some changes and there needs to be patience before jumping to conclusions....my God, you want to pack it in December?   But wait until February to declare that?  Hmmm, ok.

He also states "would have been an option".  Says who?   Was he working the phones and had confirmation of that?   We all could pull the plug on imaginary deals but that doesn't mean they'd come to fruition.  That's a HUGE issue with the armchair GM's....in thinking that you simply "decide" on a trade and it happens.  The other side gets a say....speaking on their behalf seems a little farfetched.

Every team has a chance at the playoffs...until they're out.  I don't want a GM who doesn't believe in the team....what's the point of watching then?  

There's a reason all teams participate...because they all have a shot.  So many variables factor in and can mean success or failure...things a GM (armchair or otherwise) can't predict without an accurate crystal ball.  Injuries, momentum and/or slumps, hot goaltending, officiating, etc.

If it was just about predicting we'd have no reason to watch.    We always have the naysayers calling out those in charge, but it ain't as easy as they think.  And it IS easy to look back with a wouldashoulda assessment, but the GM's work in real time, not hindsight.  They don't have the luxury of that, so hard to criticize them for believing in their roster.

2 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Wait.... we traded for Eriksson?  Might have been a not so great UFA signing but  not a bad trade.

Eriksson has been a let down but I'm confident he will turn it around. I think he and Boeser are going to be a dynamic duo!

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Whining and more pre-emptive whining. Trying to be competitive is not the same as win now or thinking we are contenders. That's just what idiots with poor comprehension skills assume. Bening even came out and said that other teams were deciding if they were buyers or sellers depending on their positions in the Playoff picture. He can't force other teams to want our players.He's said numerous times that if a deal is there that will make our team better going forward, then he will make a deal. He's not just giving away assets to stop whiners from whining. I'm sure by now he knows that the whiners will whine no matter what.

Op could have picked a less inflammatory title but a discussion can be had.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive. That's on the coach and the character players you draft. 

But being competitive by mortgaging your future for replacement level players with low ceilings and depriving yourself of picks. That I can't get behind.

And if you want better discussion in this place. Walk the walk and discuss. Calling people whiners and idiots with no comprehension isn't going to get them to see things your way

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Arizona is competitive, but building.

The Canucks are competitive, but expiring. 

Toronto, Carolina and Buffalo are also competive, but building something.

The Canucks are replacing one piece at a time through the draft with less than optimal amounts of draft picks during their vet's Swan song, because Slim says it won't be fair to do anything drastic, like trade Iginla-ish. 

Benning doesnt suck, but he's not great either. 

Are we talking about the same Arizona team? The Coyotes? Because they're second to last and have 9 points less than us in the same amount of games. And the others? It's already been said they've been bottom of the barrel for some time and getting the likes of Matthews and Eichel goes a long way. It's important to note we don't have the same cards as those teams, and haven't for years when we're still just 6 years away from a finals appearance.

I don't have an issue with people debating a point, but rather just an issue with people debating said point very, very poorly.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

What do you really think he is going to say? 

'This team is garbage. They have no chance at making the playoffs, so we might as well mail it in.     By the way, please come to our games.'

You don't go to the media and say to your fans and your team you have no chance.  

Especially in December or January. 

Miller doesn't want to leave.  The team and the fans want him to stay. 

He is a great teammate and a great mentor for Markstrom.  

Who cares about Dallas. 

That is why he didn't get traded and won't. 

His trades have been good. 

His drafting has been really good. 

He kinda blew it with Hamhuis, but either way, he would have gotten pooped on for what he did there.  

Drop the negativity. 

The guy is building a team.   It takes a long time, and we are really far away, but I think he has the right idea and is slowly doing a good job. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Miller was never going to be worth much. A backup rental goalie in Reimer went for a conditional 4th last year. People here consistently over value what teams are actually willing to offer for players.

Steady there. Miller is an elite goalie in a contender. His pedigree is there for all to see.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Eriksson has been a let down but I'm confident he will turn it around. I think he and Boeser are going to be a dynamic duo!

Who's distributing the Biscuit? Granlund maybe? I'm trying to imagine a lineup that would have those 2 on the same line.

I think I would prefer to see

Bae Bo Boeser

18 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Op could have picked a less inflammatory title but a discussion can be had.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive. That's on the coach and the character players you draft. 

But being competitive by mortgaging your future for replacement level players with low ceilings and depriving yourself of picks. That I can't get behind.

And if you want better discussion in this place. Walk the walk and discuss. Calling people whiners and idiots with no comprehension isn't going to get them to see things your way

Unfortunately most people here don't discuss. They merely repeat the same whiny opinions over and over again in as many threads as possible.

The bolded part was addressed in the post you quoted. If you can't even comprehend my points then there is no point in engaging in discussion.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Steady there. Miller is an elite goalie in a contender. His pedigree is there for all to see.

On the wrong side of 35 on an expensive but expiring contract. He still can play, but the limited options for where he'd go and the fact goalies don't get the same value as players means he won't get as much as you'd think 'elite' and 'pedigree' should.

Archived