The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

I'm not so sure he's done yet

Look he can't be sent to the AHL as he would most certainly be claimed on waivers. The only way to send him messages is to bench him.

My hunch is they are taking the opportunity while petey is out to send a message to Goldy.  When petey comes back Goldy will likely get another chance to play with him. He has looked good at times earlier in the year with pettersson and I expect they want another look before giving up. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Look he can't be sent to the AHL as he would most certainly be claimed on waivers. The only way to send him messages is to bench him.

My hunch is they are taking the opportunity while petey is out to send a message to Goldy.  When petey comes back Goldy will likely get another chance to play with him. He has looked good at times earlier in the year with pettersson and I expect they want another look before giving up. 

Plus, there is likely little to no trade market for Goldy.  

16 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Why does everyone assume a player who is struggling to get into the lineup would be picked up on waivers?   EVERY team has players on the fringe and most all are constantly up against the number issue themselves.   Goldy remains with some intrigue but players of similar ilk get waived all the time without claim.   

IF the Canuck organization looks deep into this player and does not see a future, then if you cannot find a trade whatsoever then there is no harm in waiving even if he is picked up.   IF they like him still and want to see a bit more before making a final decision, play him.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why does everyone assume a player who is struggling to get into the lineup would be picked up on waivers?   EVERY team has players on the fringe and most all are constantly up against the number issue themselves.   Goldy remains with some intrigue but players of similar ilk get waived all the time without claim.   

IF the Canuck organization looks deep into this player and does not see a future, then if you cannot find a trade whatsoever then there is no harm in waiving even if he is picked up.   IF they like him still and want to see a bit more before making a final decision, play him.

I find it very hard to believe that a player with his offensive talent would slip all the way through waivers, even if he does have his issues. Goldy's potential is perhaps the most wild of any player I've seen in a long time. His ceiling is Patrik Kane and his floor is a career AHLer, though unfortunately, he's trending towards that floor. Still, with such a ceiling, it's hard to say he'd pass through waivers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I tend to agree that we over value players' worth when it comes to waivers, particularly when we approach the end of pre-season. However, I am pretty sure the Oilers would submit a claim as they have been claiming every breathing forward available. Hell, the Canucks might even like the possibility of playing against Goldy so many times a year...........::D

55 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I find it very hard to believe that a player with his offensive talent would slip all the way through waivers, even if he does have his issues. Goldy's potential is perhaps the most wild of any player I've seen in a long time. His ceiling is Patrik Kane and his floor is a career AHLer, though unfortunately, he's trending towards that floor. Still, with such a ceiling, it's hard to say he'd pass through waivers.

His ceiling is Patrick Kane?    PK is a first overall pick who has played like that his entire career.   I like Goldy too but his ceiling is Sven Baer IMHO....or perhaps M Grabner but Patrick Kane?!   

I think every team has a Goldy or two like this on the edge of "breaking through" or being waved.   Toronto had that in Josh Leivo....a player who was nearly ppg in AHL but never really took that next step with Leafs but was always close to doing so.   If waived he may have slipped through - may not have too.   

Again, I like Goldy but I don't think the rest of the NHL has someone thinking he could become Patrick Kane.

46 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I tend to agree that we over value players' worth when it comes to waivers, particularly when we approach the end of pre-season. However, I am pretty sure the Oilers would submit a claim as they have been claiming every breathing forward available. Hell, the Canucks might even like the possibility of playing against Goldy so many times a year...........::D

Who would the Oilers waive to make room?   Spooner?   Rattie?  Puljujarvi? 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His ceiling is Patrick Kane?    PK is a first overall pick who has played like that his entire career.   I like Goldy too but his ceiling is Sven Baer IMHO....or perhaps M Grabner but Patrick Kane?!   

I think every team has a Goldy or two like this on the edge of "breaking through" or being waved.   Toronto had that in Josh Leivo....a player who was nearly ppg in AHL but never really took that next step with Leafs but was always close to doing so.   If waived he may have slipped through - may not have too.   

Again, I like Goldy but I don't think the rest of the NHL has someone thinking he could become Patrick Kane.

I'm probably in the minority, but when I see the moves and the speed with which he can pull of his moves, EP is the only player on our team with the same offensive capabilities. He's obviously far away from that, but if you take his offensive game and add a half-decent defensive game and hard work in the corners, I think you could easily have a guy that dangles around defenders in his sleep for a living. Again, I'm not saying he's likely or even currently close to that level--I'd say he has about a 3% chance of hitting that level, but I do think that 3% still exists.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I'm probably in the minority, but when I see the moves and the speed with which he can pull of his moves, EP is the only player on our team with the same offensive capabilities. He's obviously far away from that, but if you take his offensive game and add a half-decent defensive game and hard work in the corners, I think you could easily have a guy that dangles around defenders in his sleep for a living. Again, I'm not saying he's likely or even currently close to that level--I'd say he has about a 3% chance of hitting that level, but I do think that 3% still exists.

You don't see the same thing with Baer?   I see Baer having everything Goldy has but with an addition of grit.   I see Goldy as having same offensive gift set as Grabner with a little less speed for Goldy but a slightly better eye for passing than Grabner.     I like Goldy, and have said so many times before, but I don't think he is more offensively gifted than Baer and certainly not moreso than Boeser.   

I respect you see it differently.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You don't see the same thing with Baer?   I see Baer having everything Goldy has but with an addition of grit.   I see Goldy as having same offensive gift set as Grabner with a little less speed for Goldy but a slightly better eye for passing than Grabner.     I like Goldy, and have said so many times before, but I don't think he is more offensively gifted than Baer and certainly not moreso than Boeser.   

I respect you see it differently.

I'm a huge Baer fan and I see a lot of skill in his game and he's currently a far superior player, but I do see more offensive potential with Goldy. Currently, Baer is better offensively and much much better at the little things, so he's much more well-rounded player. Currently, I'd say Baer is more offensively gifted, but only by a hair. Goldy's problem is that he doesn't do the little things (maybe he should spend time with Loui) and so he misses out on more points that he could be getting. I think if you add Baertschi's well-rounded game to Goldy and consider that Goldy is still just 23 and could improve even more offensively, I think Goldobin could be made to out-class Baertschi.

To put it in terms of numbers (because I'm a numbers kind of guy), I'd put it like this:

Current Goldobin:

Offense: 7

Defense: 3

"Little Things": 2

Current Baertschi:

Offense: 8

Defense: 6

"Little Things": 7

Potential Goldobin (with a well-rounded and matured game)

Offense: 10

Defense: 6

"Little Things": 7

That said, I think it's unlikely Goldy actually reaches the heights of his potential unfortunately.

• Cheers 2

Can not remember a guy with so many prime scoring chances and no finish, his shooting % is awful, especially for an offensive player. Just looked at his stats he's shooting at 7% this season, last season he shot at 16%! Smallish sample size in games as he only played 38 games last season but still pretty drastic.

Auld had some interesting comments on Goldy after last game, on the post game show. I assume Auldy has some real inside info, given he's an ex player and as such would have a bit more 'real scoop' than most on the radio.

He said, he doesn't believe Goldy will be moved, unless the offer is really compelling (which given his play would not be), and that the Canucks see him as part of their long term plan and they are 'managing' his development with that in mind. His comment was, 'much like Virtanen, some times you have to strip a player down to build him back up again' and that he believes that is what the Nucks are doing with him.....Take that for what its worth but my guess is he has talked with those who are managing this process and that is what they are doing.

Much like Jake, we have to be patient with this kid as they recalibrate him to what they know he can become....I look forward to watching if it works!

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So you figure Goldy wouldn't make this list? I think Schaller and Biega might make this list too if offered up. I definitely think Goldy gets snagged though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_NHL_transactions#Waivers

7 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Auld had some interesting comments on Goldy after last game, on the post game show. I assume Auldy has some real inside info, given he's an ex player and as such would have a bit more 'real scoop' than most on the radio.

He said, he doesn't believe Goldy will be moved, unless the offer is really compelling (which given his play would not be), and that the Canucks see him as part of their long term plan and they are 'managing' his development with that in mind. His comment was, 'much like Virtanen, some times you have to strip a player down to build him back up again' and that he believes that is what the Nucks are doing with him.....Take that for what its worth but my guess is he has talked with those who are managing this process and that is what they are doing.

Much like Jake, we have to be patient with this kid as they recalibrate him to what they know he can become....I look forward to watching if it works!

They did it with Baer and Granlund after acquistion and did it with Virtanen and Hutton. Not a stretch to think that Goldy should get the time as well. He is in his 2nd year in Van. His issue is not talent but he has to show he can consistently play a responsible game and put up numbers. Worst case scenario he does not show improvement by year end and they move him next fall. There is little pressure to do anything different. I would like to see some of the forwards in Utica get a couple of games with the Canucks but Goldy could take precedence. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Not ready to right him off for a weak return. But not sure he will ever get it. I was a huge fan of him. But after focusing in on his play more he has loads of skill and potential. But not the heart and fight needed. If this is noticeable in the reg season he would be invisible in meaningful playoff games. Mason Raymond #2. I was hoping E pet  would rub offf. I hope he can figure it out. Dude can do it just needs to want to do it.  Come on Igor talk to ur kid. Remind him what it was like back in the cold days of the Russian sickle. If not move on. Next year tons of cap space and time to make moves to be a playoff team.  This year keep building. Top six forwards and top four d is still lacking 

I dont think goldobin is much for defense. However if he wants to be in the NHL he needs to work hard on the ice with skating and positioning, marking and stickhandling. Hes not a gritty player but he needs to work as hard as a gritty player. without the puck. Just to get an Effort into the things he needs to improve, and he needs to do this as aggresively as he can without making it dirty. If he pushes those efforts he will get his chances and can improve. Thats why he is like a diamond in the rough. But the needs to improve a lot, and that will take time, beside that effort he needs to put in the play without him having the puck. I really enjoyed some of the passing plays he did, so if he can put in that effort i think he will be back in the lineup. Just a matter of time.