The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

What would you call 1 goal in 77 NHL games. His career shooting percentage is 1.2%. He actually makes Chaput, 6 goals in 126 games, look like a sniper.  :lol:

I gave you a +1 but I think Gaunce's offence will come around. I see him developing into a 25 point solid 2 way 3rd liner in about 2 years.

I don't think he should be given up on, he's OUR first rounder, he has a good attitude, and I think it's up to us to make it work,

It's time to stop talking about player deveoplment and DO some, Gaunce deserves the effort

We need to start MAKING these guys work

13 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I don't think he should be given up on, he's OUR first rounder, he has a good attitude, and I think it's up to us to make it work,

It's time to stop talking about player deveoplment and DO some, Gaunce deserves the effort

We need to start MAKING these guys work

That's why Green will do well here.

From 2007 to 2012, the Canucks 1st round picks have been horrendous.

2012 - Brendan Gaunce

2011 - Nicklas Jensen

2010 - didn't have a 1st, or 2nd, or 3rd

2009 - Jordan Schroeder

2008 - Cody Hodgson

2007 - Patrick White

We shouldn't consider Gaunce in the same category as say, Horvat or Kesler, as far as 1st round picks are concerned. He's basically a bust.

Maybe he will become a decent bottom 6 player, but only if he uses his size, which he doesn't.

Some really bad drafting, mostly by Gillis.

51 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

2012 - Brendan Gaunce

2011 - Nicklas Jensen

2009 - Jordan Schroeder

2008 - Cody Hodgson

2007 - Patrick White

We shouldn't consider Gaunce in the same category as say, Horvat or Kesler, as far as 1st round picks are concerned. He's basically a bust.

Maybe he will become a decent bottom 6 player, but only if he uses his size, which he doesn't.

White was terrible (Perron was the obvious pick), and Jensen wasn't great as Saad and Jenner were ranked higher.

The others were the BPA despite not panning out. Schroeder was ranked 5th for NA skaters. Between issues at U of Minnesota, injures, he had a rough ride. As a 26 year old he managed 13 points in 37 games on a good team this year. 

Cody Hodgson was the obvious pick, and was not expected to fall to 10. Other players we could have drafted are Kyle Beach or Zach Boychuk. 

But yes, bad drafting. 

20 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

No he shouldn't.

Gaunce won't be claimed in the Expansion Draft.

Granlund or Baertschi on the other hand... 

Gaunce is safe as long as Sbisa is available. Sbisa can probably land a 2nd round pick after the ED. So even if LV has no plans on keping Sbisa, he's still worth more to them than Gaunce. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

2012 - Brendan Gaunce

2011 - Nicklas Jensen

2009 - Jordan Schroeder

2008 - Cody Hodgson

2007 - Patrick White

Hindsight though with respect to Hodgson.  Unless you're Nostradamus.

White was Nonis - which Gillis turned him (along with another dud) into Ehrhoff  (Gillis' mistake was letting him eventually go via free agency).

Schroeder was a 'black ace' for a playoff team this past season (granted that team was a 1st round exit....)

Jensen lead the team in points for the Rangers AHL affiliate (though at 24, his time is running out).

Gaunce is 23 - probably a bit early to be writing him off (admittedly it ain't look so good right now)

I want Gaunce to be good, I cheer for him, but it feels like I've been waiting years for him to score a goal. He's 23 now, so I'm hoping next year he steps it up. Maybe playing under Green will be good for him? I figure he's got one more year to show his stuff, I wonder how patient they'll be with him.  

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I gave you a +1 but I think Gaunce's offence will come around. I see him developing into a 25 point solid 2 way 3rd liner in about 2 years.

He may yet become something, but his play hasn't been awe inspiring considering he was a first round pick 5 years ago. He's still a fringe player and may well never be more than that. If we lost Gaunce in the expansion draft I'd consider us as getting off lucky.

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

White was Nonis - which Gillis turned him (along with another dud) into Ehrhoff  (Gillis' mistake was letting him eventually go via free agency).

Gillis made some mistakes, but not matching Buffalo's offer to Ehrhoff wasn't one of them.  He had to compete with a team that wanted to give Ehrhoff 10 years and $40M.  Had Gillis ponied up and retained Ehrhoff, it would have been us buying him out after a few years instead of Buffalo.  If you think people are griping about Luongo still on the books...

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

2012 - Brendan Gaunce

2011 - Nicklas Jensen

2009 - Jordan Schroeder

2008 - Cody Hodgson

2007 - Patrick White

By statistical standards, CoHo was a good pick.  Number of games played.  He led an NHL team in scoring...

Some say it was the back injuries. Or nosy dad? I reckon it must really have been the white powder that killed his career?

It's ok mods. I'm referring to when he went on a diet. So he could keep up & back check. And started using dried milk powder, to lose his baby cheeks. Instead of the fresh full strength stuff.

33 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

By statistical standards, CoHo was a good pick.  Number of games played.  He led an NHL team in scoring...

Leading an NHL team in scoring sounds impressive until you look and see that leader had a whopping 44 points. I think Buffalo quickly realized he was a decent player as long as he played with high quality players. Once you had to depend on him it was apparent he wasn't a guy to carry a line or make others better.

9 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gaunce is 23 - probably a bit early to be writing him off (admittedly it ain't look so good right now)

But in NHL 15 Gaunce became an 86 overall player with a speed rating of 90. :( 

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Leading an NHL team in scoring sounds impressive until you look and see that leader had a whopping 44 points. I think Buffalo quickly realized he was a decent player as long as he played with high quality players. Once you had to depend on him it was apparent he wasn't a guy to carry a line or make others better.

Few were more disappointed than me when CoHo failed. I left Canada on or about the time Tuzzi got traded? The game had left me for a bit before that. And I was disappointed.  Looking for a reason to cheer for my team.  Lou made us respectable. But we were boring. 

I also remember thinking we needed two things; a big defensive center like Joel Otto?  And I whinged with Kesler below my radar. And a prolific scoring forward. I mean the Twins were good?  But not dynamic, fast, no big shot.  I admit, I was uneducated.  And we drafted Hodgson.  I thought he was going to do it for us?

He blew off the charts in junior. MacKenzie raved about him.  I went home to see my Mum & sister who had moved to Ottawa Christmas 2008. I caught several games of the WJC's. US versus Canada was epic.  Really Tavares was the player.  Hodgson was ours, he led the team in scoring. Much of the play started on his stick. I did not see any fault in him for 2or 4 years after?

These days I watch 70 or 80 games a year.  I'll cheer anyone who plays for us hard.  Its easier to cheer for Megna if he'll take out his man. Hansen?

Maybe his back injury cost him any agility he had?  Maybe he just was not fast enough for the step up. Or willing to do what others, Burrows, were willing to do.  

What a disappointment.   

My expectations are much more guarded these days.  

Archived