The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watters : "I don't think that Trevor Linden has done a good job at all"

Honky Cat

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Now how do you know this management has done better than any other management would have done? do you have a crystal ball?  LOL

You seem to have a crystal ball to support your position so could you please let us in on it's secrets. I'm curious how things would have turned out in this alternate universe you have to yourself.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

And a good one too I hear:ph34r:

LOL, My memory was that he did suck!

I also remember that it was him who suggested at one point that a Lou to Toronto deal was pretty much done?

But he does have a hockey background.

What exactly has Trevor Linden done? He was never expected to do anything... he has no experience. He is a figurehead, plain and simple. It's possible he was given complete authority to decide on a GM, but really, it is not that hard to conduct some interviews and pick out a candidate. JB was next in line for a GM job and he was a safe pick. Once he hired Benning he handed the reigns to him. I know he puts in hard work and does his time but if you guys (or BIll Watters) think he is the one calling the shots then I don't know what to tell you. Watch the draft videos from 2014 with Benning doing the talking and TL standing their nodding.... says all you need to know. I don't begrudge TL at all, nor think any less of him, but let's face the facts. You don't step away from the game for years and then just start running an NHL franchise. This kinda thing takes years of training, blood, sweat, long-hours...etc. The Aqs were having a PR crisis with MG and Torts and needed to try to win back the fans. Who better to ask than the biggest Canucks legend in history?

30 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I would have been happy with Linden hiring a more competent GM and not hiring Weisbrod. Maybe then the Canucks would more than one or two decent young players.

This is the 80's all over again. Calgary and Edmonton have all the talent, and Vancouver will be the Washington Generals of their division.

-or- 

things will turn out alright for them, and you will move on to another thing to gripe about, conveniently forgetting you had this opinion 

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Almost 12000 posts on a hockey forum and you don't know who Bill Watters is? Maybe you're being sarcastic.  

Can't disagree with him. The stated goal was to make the playoffs and he's failed miserably in 2 straight seasons.

TL also hired a rookie GM and a rookie coach while he him self is a rookie President. Lots of learning on the job for all three of them...

He was hired for PR nuff said. 

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Probably the the first media pundit to come right out and say that the President of the Canucks has done a lousy job....

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-10...our-1-1.691849

You know? There is a fair argument the Nucks were in denial. It's not mine, but strongly considered out there in the world. Maybe should have done some stronger re-building 2 years ago, and some criticism then was due...

But why would Watters criticise the organization right now?  They just went out and got 19 year old Jonathon Dahlen who had 5 points in his Swedish pro play-off game last night.  For Alex Burrows. Who will be 36 before the season is over. Made a great trade with Jannik Hansen as well.

The timing is just stupid!  :picard:

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You know? There is a fair argument the Nucks were in denial. It's not mine, but strongly considered out there in the world. Maybe should have done some stronger re-building 2 years ago, and some criticism then was due...

But why would Watters criticise the organization right now?  They just went out and got 19 year old Jonathon Dahlen who had 5 points in his Swedish pro play-off game last night.  For Alex Burrows. Who will be 36 before the season is over. Made a great trade with Jannik Hansen as well.

The timing is just stupid!  :picard:

Atta boy 

Now you're getting it.  

So Bill Watters piped up and now ZOMG Linden is bad!

Is he perfect?   No.  Is he bad?  Not really.  Is he a figurehead?  Possibly 

But this is exactly like the Canucks 65 point predictions to start the year.  Great ya said what most knew or were thinking.  Bravo for voicing a popular yet unspoken opinion 

But glossing over the full story to make your point is silly and Watters is...well Watters

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

His management group was actually trying to make the playoffs. They signed LE to a huge UFA deal in the summer to help reach that goal. They only traded Hansen and Burr now because finally it became obvious to them what the whole hockey world already knew. 

They completely misjudged the capabilities of the team they built by a country mile. Bottom 3 finish 2 years in a row is not a very good job by any measurement. Watters is right.  

It would be different if they had recognised this team was going nowhere and acknowledged it a couple of years ago and started the rebuild earlier. 

Definition:  The Management Group:  Linden, Benning, Dejardins, Aquilini......Willie doesn't have much say in strategy.  It's all execution for him

When they started out, there were 2 stated objectives.  1.  They wanted to give the tired old core another shot at the cup sans Torts.  and 2.  They needed to turn over the line up and get younger and faster and prepare for the longer term future.

So what did they do?  They shored up goaltending with Miller and bolstered offense with the addition of Vrbata.  It didn't work so they tweaked the line up for year 2.  They were plagued by injuries the following year and finished poorly.  Year 3 saw Benning gather the nucleus of what will develop into a good defense (in response to Bob MacKenzie's criticism) and replaced Vrbata with Eriksson.

Now, at the mid season team reviews as the trade deadline approached this season, we could see the stars of the team, the Sedins, in obvious decline.  This last kick at the cup is not going to happen.  The window has well and truly closed.

Now, ownership should have some say in the largest goals of the team and the strategy to achieve them.  They hire professionals to consult with and help them to formulate the plan.  That is the end of ownerships involvement.  The professionals are left to carry out this plan.

Since there was going to be no shot at the cup for the Sedins.  Linden seems so loyal to them and so is, I think, ownership.  What is now left is to devote their energies to part 2 of the original plan.  So, they moved 2 of the old reliables, Burrows and Hansen for 2 up and coming prospects.  Is this going all in on a rebuild?  It could be, one can only move so fast.

To be clear, I'm suggesting that it was ownership, and perhaps Linden who took the Canucks down this road with 2 goals that were kinda related.  I think that Jim Benning is a happy man today.  Nice trades Jim.

Archived