The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watters : "I don't think that Trevor Linden has done a good job at all"

Honky Cat

24 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

I think Bill Watters is a terrible media head. He should stick to football. We're all entitled to our opinions.

I disagree. I listen to 1040 at work all day and Watters is one of the best guests. I prefer him over Bob MacKenzie and some other so called insiders who just mostly give educated guesses. 

BW sometomes tells stories about his experiences during different situations from his days with leafs management and also as a player agent. He has a lot of experience and it's very interesting to listen to him.  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I disagree. I listen to 1040 at work all day and Watters is one of the best guests. I prefer him over Bob MacKenzie and some other so called insiders who just mostly give educated guesses. 

BW sometomes tells stories about his experiences during different situations from his days with leafs management and also as a player agent. He has a lot of experience and it's very interesting to listen to him.  

Well, I disagree with you. I find him to be biased and obnoxious. As I said, we're all entitled to our opinions. Thanks for yours.

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Actually he's more popular out east.

Former president of the Toronto Argos Former Assistant GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs.  

Well he knows a thing or two about failure then.

Still doesn't make him credible or qualified to comment on a team that has only missed the playoffs in 2 of his 3 years on the job and has a team almost leading the way in man games lost to injury over that 3 year span while re-tooling or rebuilding in the same time frame.

is it 5?  6? maybe 6 players left from a team that not 4 years ago challenged for the top team in the league.

I think he's doing ok, sorry Watters.  Stick to suckage and not commentary

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's the goal every season.  If that were the standard of performance, the Oilers should have turned their management over more than they have.  The standard for this team is rather their overall stated goal -- to get younger, faster, and more skilled, and they are arguably on the path to achieving that.

yes that is the standard of performance. We were a powerhouse team for more than a decade; we are not Edmonton. If you have to use the laughing stock of the league as a comparison (Edmonton) to excuse our poor performance and feel good about yourself. Well then, that's pretty sad. 

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

It should be obvious.  Stating anything otherwise sends the wrong message to your players, especially veterans like the Sedins, and new players you want to develop with the right attitude.  

His management group was actually trying to make the playoffs. They signed LE to a huge UFA deal in the summer to help reach that goal. They only traded Hansen and Burr now because finally it became obvious to them what the whole hockey world already knew. 

They completely misjudged the capabilities of the team they built by a country mile. Bottom 3 finish 2 years in a row is not a very good job by any measurement. Watters is right.  

It would be different if they had recognised this team was going nowhere and acknowledged it a couple of years ago and started the rebuild earlier. 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well he knows a thing or two about failure then.

Still doesn't make him credible or qualified to comment on a team that has only missed the playoffs in 2 of his 3 years on the job and has a team almost leading the way in man games lost to injury over that 3 year span while re-tooling or rebuilding in the same time frame.

is it 5?  6? maybe 6 players left from a team that not 4 years ago challenged for the top team in the league.

I think he's doing ok, sorry Watters.  Stick to suckage and not commentary

He's most certainly qualified to comment on the Canucks and the NHL. 

You may not agree with his assessment which is your choice.  But he's qualified. 

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Actually he's more popular out east.

Former president of the Toronto Argos Former Assistant GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs.  

Someone from Toronto who doesn't like Vancouver? There's a shock. 

33 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Honestly not trying to be a smart ass. Never heard of this guy in my life. Maybe he's more popular out west.

No he was a fairly prominent analyst for a long time...sort of faded away the last five years...so if your young...you wont remember him.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

His management group was actually trying to make the playoffs. They signed LE to a huge UFA deal in the summer to help reach that goal. They only traded Hansen and Burr now because finally it became obvious to them what the whole hockey world already knew. 

They completely misjudged the capabilities of the team they built by a country mile. Bottom 3 finish 2 years in a row is not a very good job by any measurement. Watters is right.  

It would be different if they had recognised this team was going nowhere and acknowledged it a couple of years ago and started the rebuild earlier. 

This is sports.  You try to win.  Loui is a good piece to have going forward.  People said the same thing about Sutter. 

I dont take media opinion about sports very seriously.  Predicting this and that is bogus because you dont know what could happen.  Look at CBJ when Jarmo K inherited the team.  They were the laughing stock of the league but slowly that team has turned things around, without going full tank.  That team has had ups and downs for the last few seasons not unlike the Canucks.  But they are competitive and in the hunt and I see the Canucks headed in the same direction eventually.  

10 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

yes that is the standard of performance. We were a powerhouse team for more than a decade; we are not Edmonton. If you have to use the laughing stock of the league as a comparison (Edmonton) to excuse our poor performance and feel good about yourself. Well then, that's pretty sad. 

WERE a powerhouse team.  Is that supposed to continue unabated when the team has declined from that status and has no prospects to bring in but was just bandaided in those years?  That's the reason the previous regime was removed.  You know the roster and contract situations; what should have been done differently in the past 33 months that would have got them to the playoffs by now?

Archived