The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

I think that we should keep Willie. His purpose is to develop young players in a competitive and accountable environment. He has gotten good results in those realms. Plus he signed a 4 years contract. This rebuilding process will take time. By the end of WD's contract, the first real wave of Benning picks will be pushing for roster spots. If JB trusts WD's capacity to develop players, I could see him being with the team even beyond that.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I say fire Willie.

Willie is addicted playing  to OLD AHL scrubs instead of playing our younger prospects.

Here is a song for you WILLIE  -  TLC  NO SCRUBS. 

Is TLC  your answer?

What was the question again?

What about Pitsburg's Mike Sullivan   

Maybe he is tired of easily winning with such a stacked team.

Would he be enticed to a taking a contract with Vancouver as taking on a  REAL CHALLENGE type of coaching situation.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

What about Pitsburg's Mike Sullivan   

Maybe he is tired of easily winning with such a stacked team.

Would he be enticed to a taking a contract with Vancouver as taking on a  REAL CHALLENGE type of coaching situation.

Lmao!! Yes it certainly is a challenge!

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Really?

Edler given 20+ minutes a night, when he hasn't been all that great all season or how about relying on the Sedins late in a tied game, when they haven't been producing any offense. Don't forget the whole Higgins debacle last year as well.

Edler IS our 1st D. It is a matter of record that when he is out of the team injured, we struggle. People like you concentrate on his mistakes (yes there are a few mainly down to how much pressure is on our defence because our offence lacks physicality) but pay no attention to the fact he is still our most physical D and still carries the D with his work rate.

No he doesn't ALWAYS rely on the Sedins late in tied games. I often see the Horvat and Sutter lines on late, even the 4th on occasion. If he is not doing it every time then your argument fails because his deployment is being done to suit existing circumstances as he sees them. Obviously circumstances you are unaware of or not in a position to assess.

Also let's not forget, although the Sedins ARE now pretty slow, they are still two of the most skilled and fittest players on the roster.

20 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Gallant would be my vote.  He has worked well with young kids in Florida.

Hope it's not another rookie coach who is going to take 3 years of learning on the job like WD did. 

Ahh Gallant, a CDC lynchmob's wet dream. 

Coaching record[edit]

Team Year Regular season Post season
G W L T OTL Pts Finish Result
CBJ 2003–04 45 16 24 4 1 62 4th in Central Missed playoffs
CBJ 2005–06 82 35 43 4 74 3rd in Central Missed playoffs
CBJ 2006–07 15 5 9 1 73 (fired)
FLA 2014–15 82 38 29 15 91 6th in Atlantic Missed playoffs
FLA 2015–16 82 47 26 9 103 1st in Atlantic Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
FLA 2016–17 22 11 10 1 23 (fired)
Total 328 152 141 4 31 426   1 playoff appearance

Willie needs to go. He does not deserve to be here next year. Playing Megna on the top Line/PP???   Etc etc etc. 

He has had some positive impacts with players, sure, he is not all bad. But he has been a let down since the 1st round loss to Calgary. 

There are really good coaches out there, who have works with rebuilding rosters and managed success.  In order of preference:

Tippet (If he is available, bye WD)

Gallant (See above)

Green/Crow. 

There are others, but these are the guys I think could out coach Willie blindfolded. 

15 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Willie needs to go. He does not deserve to be here next year. Playing Megna on the top Line/PP???   Etc etc etc. 

He has had some positive impacts with players, sure, he is not all bad. But he has been a let down since the 1st round loss to Calgary. 

There are really good coaches out there, who have works with rebuilding rosters and managed success.  In order of preference:

Tippet (If he is available, bye WD)

Gallant (See above)

Green/Crow. 

There are others, but these are the guys I think could out coach Willie blindfolded. 

Why would Tippett be available.  He signed a 5 year deal last summer and would never have the same responsibility here.  He's VP of hockey ops and involved in any major decision.  Chayka even confirmed that it's Tippett that has final say on any player decision.  

Gallant was let go because he was not adjusting to the new NHL.  He was stuck in his old ways and refused to understand that their roster is now built for speed and skills.  They want to emulate the playing style of the Penguins, Tampa, Blackhawks and he was playing too conservative.  

Fwiw very early in the season Bob McKenzie claimed that the Canucks see Green as their coach of the future.  The thing though is that WD has one more year and Green's contract is up.

5 hours ago, hearditall said:

re-sign WD now...

You know what I was much more critical of WD last year than this. He has done lots of good things.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him next year.

WD came in as a rookie coach and made some rookie mistakes as expected. Now it seems like he's gotten better. He'll graduate as a coach and take his craft somewhere else. Feels kinda similar to developing a prospect and trading him away after 3 years in the NHL. 

Some other team will benefit from WDs time with the Canucks. Sccording ti reports and player comments hes a real good teacher of the game.  Maybe keep him on as an associate coach so he can continue to teach our young kids the right way to play the game. And bring in Gallant as head coach. 

Doesn't matter who they hire or when. As soon as the honey moon is over, which may only be a year or less, the media and half of CDC will turn on them anyway.  UNLESS they win the cup. 

then the honeymoon could last a bit longer.

I hope they give Willie until Christmas but it may cost them too many seasons tickets so he may be gone. He is positive and a teacher and more times than not young players are being sheltered and not punished. I think it will depend on which candidate is a good teacher this summer (if Willie is let go) I find it funny that people suggest Crawford or Green. Crawford is good for a veteran laden team with the odd rookie but he's the guy who sat the Sedins every time they made a mistake. Green is a tough love kind of guy. He sits you for mistakes.

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Crow was a terrible coach when he didn't have Roy bailing out his awful systems. 

I define good coach by their in-game strategy.  Anyone can make up a plan beforehand, but making changes to that plan in real-time makes a good coach.

Is crow good at that?  I'm not sure actually, but he used to be.  Or at least that was my impression...

9 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

I define good coach by their in-game strategy.  Anyone can make up a plan beforehand, but making changes to that plan in real-time makes a good coach.

Is crow good at that?  I'm not sure actually, but he used to be.  Or at least that was my impression...

I am of the 180 viewpoint on Crow being a good coach for a team that wasn't the late 90's Avalanche. 

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

Doesn't matter who they hire or when. As soon as the honey moon is over, which may only be a year or less, the media and half of CDC will turn on them anyway.  UNLESS they win the cup. 

then the honeymoon could last a bit longer.

AV lasted a long time and didn't win any cups. 

Archived