The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Woes

fourtwentyfour

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  Fans were getting impatient with him but he was beginning to show flashes of the player he was for Canada paired with Letang.  In my opinion he was a better prospect than Juolevi (and I like Juolevi).

The loss on the ice is rightly second to the loss to his loved ones, but saying Bourdon was a bad pick is ridiculous.

I really think Bourdon was the real deal :(  tragic we never got to find out.

I've always said, drafting 18 year old kids is a crapshoot, especially once you get out of the first round.  The biggest favour that the NHL could do for its teams is to increase the draft age, but that's not really what this thread is about.

If you go though the draft, you can also find plenty of examples where the Canucks made out better than the team just after them.  So it could have been far worse.  Consider these possibilities...

Jensen > David Musil
Schroeder > Tim Erixon
Hodgson > Kyle Beach
Grabner > Riku Helenius
Bourdon > Marek Zagrapan
Schneider > Andy Rogers
Kesler > Anthony Stewart

Umberger > Jens Karlsson
Sedins (x2) > Pavel Brendl / Brian Finley
Allen > Rico Fata

1 hour ago, fourtwentyfour said:

hi guys, so i always knew that the canucks had many years of bad draffting but i was watching a podcast on youtube called the hockey guy and i just found out how bad it really was. i'll link the video but here are the basic break downs of who could be playing right now for the canucks if we drafted them instead of who we picked.

Anze Kopitar - Luc Bourdon
Claude Giroux -  Michael Grabner

David Perron - patrick white
Erik Karlson - Cody Hodgeson
Rickard Rakell - Nickolas Jensen
Tanner Pearson, Brady Skjei  - Brenden Gaunce

William Nylander - Jake Virtanen

David Pastrnak - Jared McCann

now tell me thats not a contending team. i skiped a few years of the right picks. but let me know what you guys think. 

Chicago had some pretty atrocious drafting over the years. And they have 3 cups in 6.

Barker, Skille to name a few (not to mention that horrible 2004 draft where they had 17 draft picks and only managed to come away with Brouwer and Bickell and busted Barker but just like us they've managed to find some gems in the later rounds (Byfuglien, Keith, Hjalmarsson). But man have they had some questionable picks over the years. 2015 draft is looking quite bad for them too. They got a real gem in Toews in 06 and bottomed in 07 and got Kane.

I guess the point is all teams have had players that haven't worked out for them. For us, the most recent is McCann(who was a steal actually considering he was projected to go top 15) and Shinkaruk.

If we let's say pick top 5 this year, and next year, while load up on draft picks, and pick gems with our later rounds, it doesn't have to be a long rebuild. As long as we don't screw up bad like the Oilers did and not address defence and goaltending which we have.

We've got some of the important pieces like Juolevi and Demko. Even Virtanen, though he is a project. "Foundational" pieces like Horvat, Sutter, Tryamkin, Gudbranson. Right now, we need to address our offensive cupboard and draft some offensively minded players. The only forward prospects I consider to be offensive threats are Boeser/Dahlen. Clearly we're lacking in that department

I'd say give it another 3 years. Going to be very exciting and slightly painful. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

28 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Why is Virtanen's spot a head scratcher when that is where he was ranked?

Never had much hockey IQ to start with so many considered him a pretty high risk pick while we still had some guys with high end skill to pick from. To me, at least, the pick was easily narrowed down to 2 players for us to choose from.. I don't think I need to specify which guys since it was pretty obvious.

17 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Never had much hockey IQ to start with so many considered him a pretty high risk pick while we still had some guys with high end skill to pick from. To me, at least, the pick was easily narrowed down to 2 players for us to choose from.. I don't think I need to specify which guys since it was pretty obvious.

Yeah most had him in the 6-10 group with Ritchie, Ehlers and Nylander. Button had him in the second round and he may be the one guy who picked him right. 

#1, Why is this a thread again

#2, Most of those have nothing to do with Benning, who I think has done a pretty strong job drafting for his first few years, a lot of his picks are developing really nicely

#3, Drafting is not an exact science, you have to take a leap of faith that the 17 or 18 yr old that you're picking will continue to do the work necessary to become an NHL player. Skill is only part of it, they must be willing to do ALL the work necessary to be effective.

#4, Many other GM's also passed at least once on all the other people that you are comparing too.

#5, Luc Bourdon is not a fair comparison, he was one of the most NHL ready guys in that draft year and was starting to show flashes of the skill level that the Canucks picked him for. His death was incredibly tragic, RIP

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'd like to request that you do a list of past winning lotto numbers so that we can reflect on all of our poor choices, and not just those of past GM's.

At best, 1/2 of 1st rounders play 100 games, anyone can pick a dud. Gillis did seem to have a talent tho for 1st round busts.... but he also found Tanev and Bo. 

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

#1, Why is this a thread again

#2, Most of those have nothing to do with Benning, who I think has done a pretty strong job drafting for his first few years, a lot of his picks are developing really nicely

#3, Drafting is not an exact science, you have to take a leap of faith that the 17 or 18 yr old that you're picking will continue to do the work necessary to become an NHL player. Skill is only part of it, they must be willing to do ALL the work necessary to be effective.

#4, Many other GM's also passed at least once on all the other people that you are comparing too.

#5, Luc Bourdon is not a fair comparison, he was one of the most NHL ready guys in that draft year and was starting to show flashes of the skill level that the Canucks picked him for. His death was incredibly tragic, RIP

You know, where Benning realized where there were possible mistakes in Shinkaruk and McCann, he moved them for Granlund and Guddy. Pretty decent shifting imo. Shink and McCann may yet pan out, but Granlund already has and Guddy very likely will as well. 

Our woes are gone. We now have a draft guru. Jack Gordon is not running our draft any longer. Jim Benning is the man in change. 

Nikita Tryamkin

Thatcher Demko

Brock Boeser

Ollli Juolevi 

Adam Gaudette

Guillaume Brisebois

Right there we have potentially 6 impact players from Benning's 3 drafts. Of course Virtanen is still a wild card. He could be a bust or he could be Bertuzzi 2.0. We don't know yet. Throw in Lockwood, Olson, Neill and Zhukenov and you have 3 pretty stellar draft years with really no busts as of yet. Also we have Gudbranson from the McCann trade so he's indirectly a part of the drafting of Benning. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

OP is a bit off-base on the Nylander-Jake comparison, Jake has not had the AHL development time yet that flamingo boy had. Sounds like Jake is picking up some good work ethic this year and I expect him to be a beast in 1-2 years. 

Its their draft + 3 season and Nylander is on pace for 60+ points in the NHL while Jake is playing at a 25 point pace in the AHL. If your expectations are that he will catch the two forwards selected after him then you are probably going to be disappointed. Considering what he has shown us since his draft year, If he can be a serviceable top 9 forward I would consider that a win.

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

Its their draft + 3 season and Nylander is on pace for 60+ points in the NHL while Jake is playing at a 25 point pace in the AHL. If your expectations are that he will catch the two forwards selected after him then you are probably going to be disappointed. Considering what he has shown us since his draft year, If he can be a serviceable top 9 forward I would consider that a win.

I expect with some actual AHL time he'll come back up and yes, can be as productive as Ehlers e.g,. There's no replacement for experience, and Jake just didn't get the development time he needed. Ehlers got an extra year in the WHL to bulk up, Nylander 100 AHL games. Nylander would be in the same boat if he wasn't a Euro and could be put in the AHL 2 years ahead of Jake. 

3 hours ago, fourtwentyfour said:

hi guys, so i always knew that the canucks had many years of bad draffting but i was watching a podcast on youtube called the hockey guy and i just found out how bad it really was. i'll link the video but here are the basic break downs of who could be playing right now for the canucks if we drafted them instead of who we picked.

now tell me thats not a contending team. i skiped a few years of the right picks. but let me know what you guys think. 

3 hours ago, fourtwentyfour said:

why even add them?? Bourdon was a stud and better pick up  rest I agree but that is the chance you take in drafts you just never know so get on with it, new GM and better picks so far life is good!!!

10 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

He wasn't high risk at all actually. He was ranked first in "skating" and "physicality" that draft year. Tell me that doesn't translate to the pro game. If anything he was one of the safer picks. It's the smaller skilled guys that are the riskier ones in fact. The good thing about Jake is he doesn't have to get on the score sheet to be relevant during a game. For the most part guys like Nylander and Ehler's do. That's great their having such early success but keep your pants on for god sakes. They're still kids. 

Archived