The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

52 minutes ago, nux_win said:

At least I have a little self-esteem.  I'm so tired of so-called "fans" parroting the biased media that nobody wants to come here.  It's such a lie! 

And no I didn't miss the point that people think our team and management are terrible, I just choose to ignore that.  And even if they are terrible, which I don't think is the case, the point is to make it better not just keep up the "woe is me", "how terrible is our team", "nobody likes us" routine (disgusting, I can't stand that low-self-esteem crap).  GCG!

You have obviously never lived in Calgary for any length of time... Self esteem? I think you're looking for "hate"....  Self Esteem has nothing to do with being a fan.

"So called fans" - I sure as heck hope you're not referring to me, I've been a fan since 1975, I have seen this record go around and around for a long time.  

Here's a quote for you from a reporter (yeah, Mark Spector of SNET, still):

"Today, the Canucks do not have a single top-three forward in their entire organization, but only a handful of names they can point to as potential first-liners. "

I voted for Travis Green because he is a great teacher for the young team...as was Willie Desjardins. I think it would be great if Travis Green moved to head coach for the Canucks and Willie Desjardins took over the head coaching duties in Utica.

The Canucks are still 2 to 3 years away from becoming a solid contender....maybe even longer. This is a really young team and as much as the young guys have impressed, they still have a lot to learn plus they have to develop team chemistry and an identity. With a new coach coming in, everyone will be learning a new system and you can be sure that there will be a revolving door for call ups. At least with Green, a lot of the players know what is coming.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If Benning hires Sutter, that will pretty much end Virtanen's chances of being a regular in the NHL.

I disagree with that. If anything Sutter could teach a player like him how to be an effective NHLer. 

He's had lots of players with similar skill sets in LA.

26 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Here's a quote for you from a notorious troll  reporter (yeah, Mark Spector of SNET, still):

"Today, the Canucks do not have a single top-three forward in their entire organization, but only a handful of names they can point to as potential first-liners. "

Today, Edmonton makes it's first playoff appearance in over a decade.

1st overall picks in half the drafts since then.   Picked forwards with all of them.

The Oilers have 2 top 6 forwards!!!  Lottery pick ChampionZZZ!   

Horvat outscored your 3rd leading scorer, Henrik tied him, so might wanna shut yer yap Spector.

If we have no top 6, you have 2, you ingrate.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree with that. If anything Sutter could teach a player like him how to be an effective NHLer. 

He's had lots of players with similar skill sets in LA.

Like who? Dustin Penner?

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Like who? Dustin Penner?

Like pretty much every player who has played in their bottom 6?

That's the game Virtanen is going to need to play to make it. North-South using his speed and forechecking hard. Exactly the type of game Sutter coaches.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

linden did say some of that but someone has added in some of their own opinions into it. of course they need someone who understands where the team is at. they didn't say that willie didn't understand where the team is at. i don't know whether or not ruff would want this job, but he has a good coaching record.  green deserves it but not sure if he can have any better record than willie.

With all the young players coming on board, I don't think the record is as important as having a coach who can take the young team to the next level. There is no way that this team is going to contend for 2 or 3 years (at best) and all of those new high end draft picks are going to need a patient coach/teacher. The Canucks have already said that they are not wanting to part with the youth and are taking the rebuild model as a way to become a contender again versus past models which drafted players and then traded hem for stop gap players who could barely get them into the playoffs.

I believe that Benning/Linden have chosen the correct but painful approach. Hopefully, we will get to watch some high end draft picks develop and don a Canuck jersey for a long time .....and of course, get another shot at Game 7 for the SC.

Archived