The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

Virtanen says TL and JB promised him top line minutes and then he didn't get them and cried out. It sounds like JB and TL promised Tryamkin something similar and then tried to send him to the minors when he got over here. Sounds like TL and JB say a lot of $&!# they think the prospects want to hear and then backpedal on those things.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe. But for an organization that claims it honours contracts signed (and has given us the distinct advantage of being stuck with Edler for years as a result) it seems a bit hollow to villainize Tryamkin for simply demanding the team honor a contract they signed with him. 

I look at the AHL thing differently. Had he agreed to go it is very likely that would have been used against him should they want to permanently send him down. If he had gone to the AHL he very likely would have gotten stuck there until injuries forced them to use him. And would have given the Canucks the flexibility to call up others over him. 

I dont agree with the entitlement issue. But I strongly suspect some of that was rooted in promises made to get him to North America to begin with and then stay when he wasn't being played.

you have absolutely no basis on which to back up your non stop diatribe against the management team.  They absolutely lived up to their end of the contract and many many players willingly take a conditioning stint in the AHL, which Try should have accepted to get into proper game shape.  he was not prepared to be a professional at the level he was required to be and didn't like the demands of being an NHL player.  He was my favourite Canuck, but he took the easy path by player in a far superior league.  In the end, he couldn't cut it as an NHL player.  It was his choice, not managements

13 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Any ways you cut it he left An did not feel the love. 

This is on management no ifs An buts! 

I believe they lowballed an offer to him . I believe Nikita lived within the letter of his just expired contract An can only surmise that management was less than honourable to him . He explored his options An bolted back to KHL

this is a real kick in the kahoonas to us as a team An fans he was a shining light this season. Very $&!#ty news sadly he will be missed.

Zero fact, 100% opinion. He was offered an extension, averaged close to 17 minutes in his rookie year, and the only time he was kept out of games is at his own fault for not coming to work prepared. 

Meh. 

It's not the end of the world - and not necessarily even the end of Tryamkin's career with the Canucks.

He is the type of player that will take a few more years to really hit his potential.

They qualify him - retain his rights - and then in a year or two or three perhaps he gets an itch to return to the NHL. 

Lots of players have.

Vlad Sobotka a very recent example.

Things just opened up for Juolevi to make the team next year.

The one thing that lessens the impact is the depth the team has on the left side with Edler, Sbisa, Hutton, Juolevi.

I wonder how this will impact both their approach to the expansion draft and the entry draft though.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Virtanen says TL and JB promised him top line minutes and then he didn't get them and cried out. It sounds like JB and TL promised Tryamkin something similar and then tried to send him to the minors when he got over here. Sounds like TL and JB say a lot of $&!# they think the prospects want to hear and then backpedal on those things.

No offense but youre full of it, plain and simple

proof of the Virtanen quote?

Just now, Provost said:

Honestly, as someone who does pretty well seeing the big picture and positives.... this makes things pretty bleak going forward.

No player on our roster was as intriguing to watch or had more potential, maybe he would never realize all that potential but it gave me a reason to watch some god awful regular season Canucks games.

Having the surplus D also meant we had a chance to upgrade the roster (D being incredibly valuable, especially after expansion robs even more teams of top 4 guys).

Boeser is interesting, but at this point I see virtually no reason to actually watch games next year.  I will watch highlights and follow the forums, but they need to give me a compelling reason to sit through boring 1-0 losses all next year.

Boeser as you say, Horvat and Baertschi are worth the watch. Hutton as well when he's feeling the green light.

Juolevi, Virtanen, 2017 draft picks, maybe Subban lol. Who knows maybe we trade Tanev or Edler and get a nice forward prospect as well.

It may not be the insane crop of players like Edmonton or Toronto but there are some interesting story lines to keep an eye out for. As well as a lot of time for things to change roster wise.

Also Willy's system forced us to play boring. Although seemingly because our pool of players was so poor. Still I'd rather have an exciting system in place where we potentially lose 5-3 rather than 1-0

The coach will be an important part in that.

You can't swear off all Russians because one pick didn't go your way. In any case it was still an effective use of a 3rd round draft pick and the Canucks are retaining his rights till 2022 so there is still a good chance that he might test himself at this level again and by that time there might be a whole different management group in charge of things.

I have a source who told me Linden is more two faced than fans think the good prairie boy is a politician now.

I don't see how people can pin this on management.  Where the **** did you even hear Virtanen was promised top line minutes?

Sometimes these Russian players want to play at home.  And really there is no way you can't respect their wishes.  It sucks for us for selfish reasons. But put yourself in their shoes and move yourself and your family to Russia where the language and culture is different and tell me you don't have a hard time adjusting.  Nikita is now going back to his home, where all his family and friends are, and he will probably make MORE money than he would playing here in Vancouver.

I do hope he comes back to the Canucks.  But like I said. It's for selfish reasons. 

24 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Any ways you cut it he left An did not feel the love. 

This is on management no ifs An buts! 

Not really.

These players are men and free to decide.   There's nothing to say that this wouldn't have happened with any other management team in place. 

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe. But for an organization that claims it honours contracts signed (and has given us the distinct advantage of being stuck with Edler for years as a result) it seems a bit hollow to villainize Tryamkin for simply demanding the team honor a contract they signed with him. 

I look at the AHL thing differently. Had he agreed to go it is very likely that would have been used against him should they want to permanently send him down. If he had gone to the AHL he very likely would have gotten stuck there until injuries forced them to use him. And would have given the Canucks the flexibility to call up others over him. 

I dont agree with the entitlement issue. But I strongly suspect some of that was rooted in promises made to get him to North America to begin with and then stay when he wasn't being played.

Complete BS. He still had the clause in his contract to bolt if sent to the AHL. A conditioning stint is a definite time period and would have gotten him ready to play sooner. As far as I'm concerned, as a first year NHL player, he's just a big baby.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Complete BS. He still had the clause in his contract to bolt if sent to the AHL. A conditioning stint is a definite time period and would have gotten him ready to play sooner. As far as I'm concerned, as a first year NHL player, he's just a big baby.

Again, that may certainly be the case. But we also don't know what he was promised to get his name on a contract or to keep him from bolting back to the KHL early on. Seems like a huge disconnect there.

Teams like the Maple Leafs have made a joke of conditioning stints that them turn into full time demotions. 

12 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Or, perhaps they promise top line minutes "over time".  That eventually, that will happen. 

Context.  I'd like to see this quoted (in full).  Until then, hearsay and rumours.

10 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

WOW WOW WOW.

I can't believe this. This is devastating for the Canucks. They literally said that Tryamkin was their best d-man this year. Everyone heaped praise on him.

Him leaving speaks SERIOUSLY about the problems in this organization. A total disaster.

Really glad I did not renew my full season tickets, because this just basically put a nail in the coffin for this team next year.

Could simply be a player from Russia who wants to play in Russia, be back home and play in a League he has had success in. He gave it a try here in Vancouver and it appears he'd prefer to go home. Why does this suggest the organization's at fault or having problems when he desires to play back home ?

He played well in Vancouver overall yes, was not an offensive producer, was solid and played with some edge too. But Tryamkin leaving by no means leaves the Canucks devastated and they have solid veterans ( Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, and Sbisa ) along with young up and coming offensive defense like Stecher, Hutton, and Subban, not to mention Juolevi coming.

As much as fans want Sbisa to disappear the team likes him, perhaps he will go in ED, Edler continues to tell whoever will listen he has no intentions of waiving his clause to play elsewhere. Tanev perhaps is trending as a bit of a fragile yet responsible defender who could fetch value in a trade and Gudbranson can only improve on last season.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He had an agreement with the Canucks that he would either play in the NHL or go back to the KHL. He even says in the interview (unclear translation) that they chose not to send him back to Russia. It seems like he was prepared to head back when he was being sat out. I don't see how that makes him a baby, he made it clear from the beginning that he had no desire to play in the AHL. The message from his side seems pretty clear and consistent, play me or send me back to Russia. They didn't play him enough in the end.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Again, that may certainly be the case. But we also don't know what he was promised to get his name on a contract or to keep him from bolting back to the KHL early on. Seems like a huge disconnect there.

Teams like the Maple Leafs have made a joke of conditioning stints that them turn into full time demotions. 

The promise was in his contract. If he's sent to the AHL he can choose to return to the KHL instead. Management honoured his contract. For the third time, he wasn't being demoted, they asked him to go on a conditioning stint - a set time period/number of games. They are not the same thing. If management didn't live up to the term of the conditioning stint he could have left per his contract. A contract is better than a promise. You're just clutching at straws on this point.

Archived