The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

Whether this is shrapnel from a hypocritical Coach, a demanding young marriage,. Or aging parents..

We may never have another who can shut down a power forwards like a Jamie Benn, or leave us with photo opportunities like this one..

IMG_0347.JPG

Just now, SilentSam said:

Whether this is shrapnel from a hypocritical Coach, a demanding young marriage,. Or aging parents..

We may never have another who can shut down a power forwards like a Jamie Benn, or leave us with photo opportunities like this one..

IMG_0347.JPG

That actually cheered me up a bit seeing that. 

I have not second guessed GM JB and TL so far, but this one hurts. It is not just that Tryamkin left because he wanted to play in Russia, from what he has said in his interview there was a lot of non-communication with him in regards to his role on the team. This is highlighted by the removal of WD, whom apparently did not communicate the reasons for his given ice time clearly. Of course the attitude that he should just be given top pairing minutes is not a great attitude, but he development and his role here based on what he was promised is a different circumstance. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

He'll be back just in time for our next Cup run.

No big deal.

Is there are indication of term on his new contract? I don't have faith that this organization will be able to convince him either. In his interview he seems to think that the KHL is on par with the NHL. Didn't seem like Goldobin made a good connection either from what you can see from that on-ice clip - although it was just one incident. 

25 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Damn already 41 pages lmao. Tryamkin will back in a couple years when the team gets competitive. R E L A X

Thing is, how is that fair?  If a team builds chemistry, works hard and "gets competitive", and he wants to waltz back in.  Seems to me he should start all over again and prove that he deserves to be there if that is the case.

I don't like making "a" player into a big deal, one who demands or expects things.  I like the team to be comprised of players who do work hard and earn it.  He is big and showed some promise but, beyond that, he hasn't really done that yet.

10 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Agreed, but it would still probably be best for him to start next year in the AHL for a bit.

I think it will depend on how the off season unfolds.  I think They lose one of Edler of Sbisa to the ED, which means another hole in the dcorps

Stetcher Tanev

Hutton Guddy

Sbisa/Edler Biega

_________

There needs to be another NHL calibre Dman brought in, probably through UFA.  If they don't McEneny is their only option, as I don't think they will throw Juolevi into that situation

It's clear he wasn't having any fun here. Couple that with the family situation, and I doubt there was much management could do to keep him here. If this team were to become competitive (playoff team), a few years down the road, I can see him returning if there's a guaranteed top 4 spot ready for him. Otherwise, I expect we'll be trading his rights two to three years down the road.

Count me on board with expediting Juolevi to the NHL. At the very least, let him play every pre-season game in a top-4 role (including PP time), and see how he performs.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

He had an agreement with the Canucks that he would either play in the NHL or go back to the KHL. He even says in the interview (unclear translation) that they chose not to send him back to Russia. It seems like he was prepared to head back when he was being sat out. I don't see how that makes him a baby, he made it clear from the beginning that he had no desire to play in the AHL. The message from his side seems pretty clear and consistent, play me or send me back to Russia. They didn't play him enough in the end.

Close to 17 minutes is pretty good for a first year d-man that showed up in poor shape.

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

They didn't get him a Russian friend until late with Goldy to ease his transition. 

3 KHL guys have bolted Canucks Shirokov, Zhukenov, and now Tryamkin.

It might be easier to avoid Russian entirely.  Even with Larionov,Bure, and Mogilny Van is not very Russian friendly.

Canucks management has a dismal record with how it treats Russians. Shirokov, I thought at the time was not given enough of a shot with the big club before he gave up and left.

Larionov decided to get the Russian Federation skimming his wages off his back by playing in Switzerland for a year, defying Quinn who always refused to accept Russia had any hold on him. So Quinn never forgave Igor and ignored him when he returned and never made an offer so he played for San Jose. Then he had another shot when he left SJ, but lucky for Detroit, he signs with them. Larionov could have been a factor in keeping Bure, not to mention we could have used him in our '94 run.

Mogilny was not happy that the Canucks let Ronning walk. As he was his most productive points partner.

And Bure's mistreatment is well known by now.

So even though Tryamkin must also have his own reasons like cultural, language, minutes,...I just don't trust the Canucks management (different group, same idiots) that they handled this well either.

I think they should have offered him an overpayment contract for someone of his age and experience. His potential is... was just so high that they couldn't afford to watch him walk. IMO he was at times our best defenseman. He already is better than Edler and his shot was wicked and his offense ability could only improve. And the way he managed the puck was a pleasure to watch. He'd almost always manage to move the puck. It was other players that seemed at times surprised to even receive the puck and screwed up. He'd pivot around on a dime if he couldn't get it the first time.  Using his stick and reach very well. I noticed how other teams forwards would simply give up and back away defensively if he ever got a hold of the puck in his zone.  He was a piece that the Canucks have never had. They should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I am p*$$ed about this.

I thought Tryamkin had a good season with us last year as a rookie, but certainly has a fair amount of development left to go.  If he goes back to Russia and plays top line minutes against very good competition, he will certainly get to his potentaial faster that he would with the Canucks.  We still own his rights for 5 years....he will be back, and part of this team when we get competitive again.

TOO BAD!   We lose big time - like really big time.   I cannot believe this has happened.    He was awesome to watch on the ice, truly awesome.   One of the few bright lights in this organization.  If Guddy had not been injured, Mr. T likely would not have even played.  WHAT A NIGHTMARE . . .   Who should we blame?   WELL I for one am not blaming the player.   More ice time and he likely would have stayed here . . .

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Do you know how to read Russian, and is that what he said in the original recording?  (Given how poorly the translation was rendered into English I feel it's safe to say that it doesn't do his answer justice, like you pointed out).  

If Nikita's gone for good I feel like the team messed this one up by not being clear with him about ice time distribution.  Previously I was thinking (along with everyone else) that he was being a diva and that as a young man (like in any role) he should be ready to earn his stripes and work his way up, but if he's not sure why they're doing what they do and he honestly fears that it would stunt his development then that's a much more legitimate reason to consider going elsewhere if he's guaranteed a bigger role.  Too bad he wouldn't have taken big minutes in Utica over a reduced role up in the big leagues, and given the pay difference one could hardly blame him.  

Like you said he was showing flashes of potential so maybe management was getting ready to entrust him with more ice time with Stecher?  Hope he'll come back when they're both developed to make that scenario a reality.

I'm going by the translations like everyone else. Show me where he is demanding more ice time. I said that it sounds to me like he was confused as to the reasons for the discrepancies in his ice time.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, how is that fair?  If a team builds chemistry, works hard and "gets competitive", and he wants to waltz back in.  Seems to me he should start all over again and prove that he deserves to be there if that is the case.

I don't like making "a" player into a big deal, one who demands or expects things.  I like the team to be comprised of players who do work hard and earn it.  He is big and showed some promise but, beyond that, he hasn't really done that yet.

Honestly, this whole "prove that he deserves it" mentality is exactly what got WD fired in the first place. If he is a player that makes this team better for a playoff run, then so be it - give him a spot over someone who doesn't make the team more competitive. I wouldn't act all protectionist on our Megnas and Chaputs or their defensive equivalents at that point. 

12 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Honestly, this whole "prove that he deserves it" mentality is exactly what got WD fired in the first place. If he is a player that makes this team better for a playoff run, then so be it - give him a spot over someone who doesn't make the team more competitive. I wouldn't act all protectionist on our Megnas and Chaputs or their defensive equivalents at that point. 

We were assessing this over the past year.   There was too small a sample size to determine if mistakes were made or not..the process is an ongoing one, of trying different things.  Willie got fired because the team dropped out the bottom..that's what happens.  We brought in new guys and it was his job to see what we had (or didn't have).  Perhaps he gave others more of an opportunity, but we don't know how they were responding in the room, on the bench, etc.  It matters in a big picture way.

But don't let that stop everyone from hanging every single thing on him.

The fact that, from the start, Tram had "issues" says something to me.  This is a golden opportunity, not something to storm through demanding this or that.  Ask Coho about that.

Archived