The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Jonathan Dahlen to 3-year ELC

9 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Or it's because Dahlen put up more points than Forsberg did playing in the same Swedish league.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 10.10.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 10.10.17 AM.png

do we know when Forsberg broke into the nhl? similar age to Dahlen next season? or did he take longer and what are the physical differences in the players?

Forsberg is a little heavier isn't he?

go Burrows go!

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

do we know when Forsberg broke into the nhl? similar age to Dahlen next season? or did he take longer and what are the physical differences in the players?

go Burrows go!

It took Forsberg a bit to break in. He played five game his first season, bounced between the NHL and AHL the next year; then he started lighting it up in season #3.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

go Burrows go!

Forsberg broke in as a 19 year old and played mostly in the AHL his first year. As a 20 year old in his second year he played the full season and had 63 points. 

Forsberg is a much bigger player than Dahlen so my main concern with Dahlen is his size and how he will handle the more rigorous NHL game. But he has plenty of speed and good bloodlines so I'm hopeful he turns into a 20 goal scorer. 

On 4/22/2017 at 4:21 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Don't give up on Goldy just yet... But other Euros imports are safer for sure.

Goldy played junior in Canada.  He's been playing hockey in North America for 5 years.  His English is fine.  I think he's less likely to bolt to the KHL.

On 2017-04-23 at 5:36 AM, Harvey Spector said:

Forsberg broke in as a 19 year old and played mostly in the AHL his first year. As a 20 year old in his second year he played the full season and had 63 points. 

Forsberg is a much bigger player than Dahlen so my main concern with Dahlen is his size and how he will handle the more rigorous NHL game. But he has plenty of speed and good bloodlines so I'm hopeful he turns into a 20 goal scorer. 

I think of Peter Forsberg when I see "Forsberg". You must be referring to Filip Forsberg as Foppa never played in the AHL. Both good, but only one great.

I hope they let these kids play.  The AHL isn't always the answer and I for one am okay watching these kids develop and the losing that may go with it.  But then again I don't buy season tickets so there is that. If they are physically and mentally ready I say let them learn at the highest level..  

26 minutes ago, groovy said:

I think of Peter Forsberg when I see "Forsberg". You must be referring to Filip Forsberg as Foppa never played in the AHL. Both good, but only one great.

Yes the other poster was referring to Filip not Peter.  I don't think there are too many Peter Forsberg's hanging around on NHL rosters these days.  He is a legend...

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Goldy played junior in Canada.  He's been playing hockey in North America for 5 years.  His English is fine.  I think he's less likely to bolt to the KHL.

I think so too. He seems to enjoy North America fine but wouldn't hurt if Canucks could add a Russian or Latvian who understands Russian to help him feel more comfortable if possible.

Give Pedan Sbisa's spot when he is traded or picked up by Vegas.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:39 PM, BCNate said:

I am really excited to see him,Virtanen and Boesser in Utica to start next year.  It has been a long time since we had so much skill down there.

Why is Virtanen in that list, he's one of the lowest skilled guys on team. Goldy is well above him

On April 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM, sonoman said:

Brock will be with the big club.  He's already shown he can play well at the NHL level

There will be a lot more empty seats at the Roge if Brock's playing in the A. Kids a stud.

On 2017-04-24 at 7:21 PM, shad0w4life said:

Why is Virtanen in that list, he's one of the lowest skilled guys on team. Goldy is well above him

Dude,

The Jake hate train has left the station, looks like you missed that. 

Jake has already shown himself on to the path to redemption.  Jake has good skill, next to Boeser he probably has the best shot on the team, likely the hardest hitter on the entire forward corps and likely the best north south skater on the team.  

He has skill, it was fitness and improper training that held him back last season. Common rookie mistake. Really hope he learned that he needs to focus on cardio and stamina vs strength. He naturally has a lot of strength, more than many. It's keeping his wind up that is important. 

He needs a setup man to be really effective, don't think that is Cassels. 

He was lacking fitness.  See the pic of him in preseason and the one taken near the end of his first season in Utica.  

One of the best things about the Green hire is that Jake might have his trust.  Green does seem to get more out of players like Jake and Baer than WD ever did. 

A young coach with a penchant for getting more out a roster than he should. That is a reason to watch next year.  

EmW

On 4/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, Rush17 said:

olli is nhl or Jr.  unfortunately no other option unless van can permitt him to play in Sweden.  don't know if they can permit that with his elc contract. Dahlen has it built in olli doesn't to my knowledge.

Pretty sure that can't happen unless London gives the go-ahead. Which I doubt they would. Besides, London has one of the best junior programs out there. Another year in junior wouldnt hurt if he's not ready for the NHL. Then ideally 1 year in utica

well as a leader for the team and management Linden should see younger players this off season to make sure they know what is needed from them to take the next step and I think if sbisa is gone that does open the door for Olli to step up if he has a good off season of training, same with Dahlen

On April 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM, combover said:

Hope his game translates to North America

signings good news but pr man linden knew they better do something quick with tryamkin leaving, the black cloud looms thick over bennings Canucks. 

just like a Combover post..mmmm ironing

On 4/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, Beary Sweet said:

yes! Benning continues to give me and everyone hope with these signings. can't wait to see how he does next training camp. he should easily earn a spot if he plays well. the future looks really bright. this kid has a lot of offensive potential and should fit in well with our team. elated to have this kid aboard

Seriously, your post reads like you just cut and pasted pre-cleared sentences together.

Are you getting paid to post that drivel?

On 4/26/2017 at 3:36 PM, cripplereh said:

well as a leader for the team and management Linden should see younger players this off season to make sure they know what is needed from them to take the next step and I think if sbisa is gone that does open the door for Olli to step up if he has a good off season of training, same with Dahlen

Why is everyone so eager to ship out Sbiz? He brought some decent play, hitting and toughness to the line up this year and he is much much better at any mesurable skill to Not-so-Gudbrannson

Archived