The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

If it had not have been for injuries Baertschi ,would not have gotten the chance he did...Don't kid yourself ,WD was never enthusiastic about developing young players at the NHL level,he stubbornly stuck with his vets the whole time here...He even preferred playing the 4th line plugs over the kids...right to the bitter end.

Green had a winning record in Utica with teams that were pretty thin in the talent department..They've had 3 years to evaluate him..and really,its a no brainer..IMO

I have never been a fan of WD's coaching the Canucks,but am a fan of his as a person.

so your idea of developing young players is force feed them mins even if they don't deserve it? so he should have played virtanen 20+mins a night because he's the 6th overall pick? i mean hutton seemed to play quite a bit of mins every night ahead of a lot of ppl. stecher played a lot of mins too.. he could have easily dumped the 2 in a 3rd pairing role with 10mins a night. while i don't agree with his line combination in a lot of night.. saying he's never enthusastic about developing young players is a joke.. he could have easily sent McCann and Virtanen back to the junior in the first year if he doesn't even want to bother give them a chance

53 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so your idea of developing young players is force feed them mins even if they don't deserve it? so he should have played virtanen 20+mins a night because he's the 6th overall pick? i mean hutton seemed to play quite a bit of mins every night ahead of a lot of ppl. stecher played a lot of mins too.. he could have easily dumped the 2 in a 3rd pairing role with 10mins a night. while i don't agree with his line combination in a lot of night.. saying he's never enthusastic about developing young players is a joke.. he could have easily sent McCann and Virtanen back to the junior in the first year if he doesn't even want to bother give them a chance

I am pretty sure Willie didn't have a big say in where those kids went or played, that would be Bennings call.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

The problem with Willie was that young players had no idea where they stood,he did not install confidence..Quite the reverse..You scored a goal in the 2nd period,benched for the 3rd..Also, playing young players 8 minutes a game (that's Willie trying really hard not 'to lose',but losing anyway..plus not showing any trust in the rookies), usually followed by a double dip of sitting in the press box..

Players should never be gifted minutes when they don't deserve it,but conversely,they shouldn't be glued to the pine after making a mistake either...Young players ,by definition, make mistakes....Some players hardly need to be coached at all,because they are intrinsically mature enough to get it (Horvat,Stecher,Hutton)...Others need more patience (Virtanen,Goldobin,McCann,Baertschi)....One size does not fit all in this regard.

After games,Willie would be questioned why he didn't play the young player more..He always had some vague answer...Willie had more of an affinity for the vets and lunch pail guys on the 4th line (whom he would inexplicably put out in the final minute in game when we dearly needed a goal ?)...

From what the players say about Travis Green is that every player will know where he stands and why...He is tough and fair....The free rides for the vets on this team is over..Thank god for that..!

On 2017-05-22 at 10:44 PM, Honky Cat said:

The problem with Willie was that young players had no idea where they stood,he did not install confidence..Quite the reverse..You scored a goal in the 2nd period,benched for the 3rd..Also, playing young players 8 minutes a game (that's Willie trying really hard not 'to lose',but losing anyway..plus not showing any trust in the rookies), usually followed by a double dip of sitting in the press box..

Players should never be gifted minutes when they don't deserve it,but conversely,they shouldn't be glued to the pine after making a mistake either...Young players ,by definition, make mistakes....Some players hardly need to be coached at all,because they are intrinsically mature enough to get it (Horvat,Stecher,Hutton)...Others need more patience (Virtanen,Goldobin,McCann,Baertschi)....One size does not fit all in this regard.

After games,Willie would be questioned why he didn't play the young player more..He always had some vague answer...Willie had more of an affinity for the vets and lunch pail guys on the 4th line (whom he would inexplicably put out in the final minute in game when we dearly needed a goal ?)...

From what the players say about Travis Green is that every player will know where he stands and why...He is tough and fair....The free rides for the vets on this team is over..Thank god for that..!

Ya right.

I really don't see how you could argue that Green didn't the best out of his players in Utica.

The only major cause for concern would be Virtanen. Even as a Virtanen supporter I cannot tell you that he showed up last year physically and mentally prepared. Green helped him get in condition and helped his low self-esteem. By the end of the year he was a much improved player and is killing this off season so far.

7 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I really don't see how you could argue that Green didn't the best out of his players in Utica.

The only major cause for concern would be Virtanen. Even as a Virtanen supporter I cannot tell you that he showed up last year physically and mentally prepared. Green helped him get in condition and helped his low self-esteem. By the end of the year he was a much improved player and is killing this off season so far.

hoping that Green plays Virtanen on the left wing. he seems to produce much better there than the right wing. 

13 hours ago, Madwolf said:

Unfortunately many fans think that a coach can snap his fingers and change a players mental or physical game. Hopefully if Green has an impact with Virtanen we will all see it this year. That does not mean Virtanen has to make the Canucks for that to be true. He could easily play another season in Utica. 

• 4 months later...

Going to be a great year to watch hockey around here if we keep seeing what we saw last night on a regular basis. Kudos to everybody involved for buying in and playing a great, relatively simple, up tempo game. So nice to watch. Found myself actually excited during the game for the first time in a long time. Certainly didn't disappoint. Nice to see the Sedin's ice time limited. They contributed, but were thankfully not the main focus. Nice not to have to watch the cycle for the whole game. OK in small amounts during the transition, but feel the cycle is a thing of the past as the style and speed of the game changes. Besides, don't think there's a team in the league that hasn't figured it out by now. Nice to see the kids finally get to play and get decent minutes doing so. They looked great. Nice to know that there's another group that had great training camps as well waiting in the wings in Uttica, should any in the current line up falter. Sooooooooooooo glad to see the "plugs" that populated so much of the line up last year gone or in Uttica. Replaced with speedy, enthusiastic, youth that seem eager to play and please.

:)  

Green looks like he's going to be more of a matchup coach of course, and is really pushing high intensity trainings, trying to get us to play hard and gritty, an with a lot of speed.

Pros:
1) We can match up against most skilled teams and drag them down to our level with hard hits and grittiness, similar to how Boston beat the Canucks in 2011. Last year we would play the same style we always did and get trounced by highly skilled teams.

2) We can match up against lesser teams (and there are some out there) and try to beat them by rolling 4 skilled lines with scorers on all 4 lines

3) As a team that will adapt depending on their opponent, I believe we'll get better against teams in our division that Green will see more often and study more often

4) Hopefully we won't over-fatigue any one line or player because of how we'll roll 3 to 4 lines depending on the opponent

Cons:

1) The high intensity trainings might exhaust some of our players later down the stretch. 

2) The matchup game struggles when we're playing away from Rogers Arena. This will be Green's biggest test - to see what happens when he doesn't get the shutdown matchup he wants.

3) We aren't a particularly big team so if there is a skilled team with goons that we match up against, we might end up getting bruised pretty badly if we try to play a gritty game. 

4) There aren't honestly too many teams out there that I think we can run-and-gun and out skate or skill from top to bottom. 

I'm very intrigued to see how Green's approach goes mainly away from home, but also in the long run. So far everything has been positive. I'll remain skeptical for now but he's certainly the best coach we've had since AV, and most importantly, the best fit for the players and team at this point in time.

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green looks like he's going to be more of a matchup coach of course, and is really pushing high intensity trainings, trying to get us to play hard and gritty, an with a lot of speed.

Pros:
1) We can match up against most skilled teams and drag them down to our level with hard hits and grittiness, similar to how Boston beat the Canucks in 2011. Last year we would play the same style we always did and get trounced by highly skilled teams.

2) We can match up against lesser teams (and there are some out there) and try to beat them by rolling 4 skilled lines with scorers on all 4 lines

3) As a team that will adapt depending on their opponent, I believe we'll get better against teams in our division that Green will see more often and study more often

4) Hopefully we won't over-fatigue any one line or player because of how we'll roll 3 to 4 lines depending on the opponent

Cons:

1) The high intensity trainings might exhaust some of our players later down the stretch. 

2) The matchup game struggles when we're playing away from Rogers Arena. This will be Green's biggest test - to see what happens when he doesn't get the shutdown matchup he wants.

3) We aren't a particularly big team so if there is a skilled team with goons that we match up against, we might end up getting bruised pretty badly if we try to play a gritty game. 

4) There aren't honestly too many teams out there that I think we can run-and-gun and out skate or skill from top to bottom. 

I'm very intrigued to see how Green's approach goes mainly away from home, but also in the long run. So far everything has been positive. I'll remain skeptical for now but he's certainly the best coach we've had since AV, and most importantly, the best fit for the players and team at this point in time.

You justify that on the evidence of ONE GAME 

Well all I can say is I hope you are right because a coach is only as good as his players and his fit players, at that.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

You justify that on the evidence of ONE GAME 

Well all I can say is I hope you are right because a coach is only as good as his players and his fit players, at that.

It’s sad you want Green to fail just so you can pipe up about what a great unappreciated coach your fired son was. Some true Canucks fan you are. 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Cons:

Were you ever an athlete?

I completely disagree with this claim - it's simply wrong - something Green certainly knows.  Conditioning will not "exhaust players down the stretch".

It's the grind of the season, the brutal travel schedule  getting hit, slashed, cross-checked, the flu, too many games compressed in short periods / back to backs....that is what exhausts players.

Conditioning does not - is one of the key things they can do to prepare for/to sustain themselves for the season.

Archived