The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco calls out Province writer Ed Willis

Bur14Kes17

This better not be over yet, having locked up older players to big money is going to hurt us in the end.  The best thing the Canucks can do is finally come out and say hard times are ahead, get rid of older players on long term contracts that wont be apart of the future, lower the overall working salary cap much closer to the floor, lower ticket prices to attract a sell out crowd and let us watch the excitement of the young kids we can look forward to develop.  

No one wants to go see a team of young players being sat while we watch older players eat up minutes when we know they shouldn't be here when the team is now competitive.  Who wants to pay top ticket prices for that?  Dump 20 million in salary and drop ticket prices by 30 bucks a ticket.  The same revenue will be made, and fans will return to Rogers Arena.  Spending to the cap and finishing in the bottom 5 makes no sense; please dump the bad contracts.

8 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Easier said than done.

For sure, problem is they shouldn't have been there in the first place.  This management keeps saying one thing and doing another, and now they still can't admit it.  If this team was truly rebuilding (shhhh can't say it) and the upper management knew we weren't good enough (as they said) then why lock up a guy like Eriksson for 6 years when he clearly showed in his post season interview he didn't care about his performance because he always sucks his first year on a new team.  These errors need to stop and unfortunately that all starts with Linden and telling us the truth. He's lied to us since 2 days before he took this job and it hasn't stopped since.  Honestly IMO he's wrecking his legacy with this franchise because he can't tell the truth.  

I have more respect for Benning as he tells what he truly thinks, sometimes that gets him in trouble but at least its the truth (even though we may disagree - as he was the one so adamant about getting Eriksson, Sutter, Dorsett in the first place and locking those guys up long term).  

So tired of mistakes and dishonesty from this upper management, public relations nightmare; if I was Aquilini I'd think strongly about offering a top position with top salary to a Ralph Krueger/Bob Nicholson type asset to fix this mess from the top down.

I don't see the logic why owners should not take part in decision making concerning his team. This is none of the reporter's business.Right now he is dumping big money each year and yet his team has become a laughing stock in the league.  I think this owner should be more actively involved, especially when his team sucks so badly under TJ &JB. This city would rather have this owner, who is a hockey fan that wants to win, than one who knows nothing about hockey, like McCaw in the late 90s.

53 minutes ago, mpt said:

For sure, problem is they shouldn't have been there in the first place.  This management keeps saying one thing and doing another, and now they still can't admit it.  If this team was truly rebuilding (shhhh can't say it) and the upper management knew we weren't good enough (as they said) then why lock up a guy like Eriksson for 6 years when he clearly showed in his post season interview he didn't care about his performance because he always sucks his first year on a new team.  These errors need to stop and unfortunately that all starts with Linden and telling us the truth. He's lied to us since 2 days before he took this job and it hasn't stopped since.  Honestly IMO he's wrecking his legacy with this franchise because he can't tell the truth.  

I have more respect for Benning as he tells what he truly thinks, sometimes that gets him in trouble but at least its the truth (even though we may disagree - as he was the one so adamant about getting Eriksson, Sutter, Dorsett in the first place and locking those guys up long term).  

So tired of mistakes and dishonesty from this upper management, public relations nightmare; if I was Aquilini I'd think strongly about offering a top position with top salary to a Ralph Krueger/Bob Nicholson type asset to fix this mess from the top down.

Hahaha where are you pulling this out of?

Management hasn't once done one thing that they didn't say that they were gonna do. They tried to rebuild on the fly and stay competitive to give the 2011 core a last shot at the cup before calling it quits (hence Erikkson/Vrbata/Miller). Benning has even said during the Hansen trade press conference that that plan is done and now we're building for the future (hence the trades).

I don't understand the fans who want management to literally hand feed them every little bit of info about what they're gonna do, they have a plan, you don't have to agree with it, just understand one plan isn't always the right plan. I agree rebuilding on the fly maybe wasn't the best idea, but I can understand why they did it (out of respect to the twins/burr/hansen).

On Linden, he is super professional so let's not even get to that point, it's so easy to rag on from this side but watching what you say in a Vancouver hockey market where everything is nitt picked and turned sideways is hard, and Trevor does an amazing job at it. If you think he isn't trying to make every right decision to make this team win a cup, you're wrong, this guy bleeds blue and green. Also, why the whole frenzy over him not using the rebuild word? Does he really have to say a word for everyone to know we're rebuilding now?

Lastly, it's just a tweet, let it be. As long as Aquaman isn't stopping any major moves that will help long term, you gotta respect the owner to have some input on what's happening with the team, as with any business.

Let's just rid the negativity and all support the rebuilding phase that's coming forth, it's gonna be rough, but we'll make it through!

GO NUCKS! :towel: 

1 hour ago, mpt said:

This better not be over yet, having locked up older players to big money is going to hurt us in the end.  The best thing the Canucks can do is finally come out and say hard times are ahead, get rid of older players on long term contracts that wont be apart of the future, lower the overall working salary cap much closer to the floor, lower ticket prices to attract a sell out crowd and let us watch the excitement of the young kids we can look forward to develop.  

No one wants to go see a team of young players being sat while we watch older players eat up minutes when we know they shouldn't be here when the team is now competitive.  Who wants to pay top ticket prices for that?  Dump 20 million in salary and drop ticket prices by 30 bucks a ticket.  The same revenue will be made, and fans will return to Rogers Arena.  Spending to the cap and finishing in the bottom 5 makes no sense; please dump the bad contracts.

South Park GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I can only speak for myself,  but I have more respect for others when they not only take credit/reward but also are there to take responsibility/their share of the blame.   Aquaman has conveniently not done that.

I acknowledge that it's his team and he can run it the way he chooses however.   

4 hours ago, Violator said:

He needs to come out and fully discuss the issues at hand instead of being annoyed with reporters.

Well... he's part of a billionaire family so he doesn't "have to" do anything. 

The most interesting thing to me is why he felt the need to call out this particular article. There's been much worse than this steaming pile from the hacks at the Province. 

I've never bought into the Aquilini meddling theories. You want meddling look at Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well... he's part of a billionaire family so he doesn't "have to" do anything. 

The most interesting thing to me is why he felt the need to call out this particular article. There's been much worse than this steaming pile from the hacks at the Province. 

I've never bought into the Aquilini meddling theories. You want meddling look at Buffalo. 

Its good though to start somewhere.  Yellow journalism is the lowest of the low.

5 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Can someone please explain to me why hockey fans have this stick up their ass about how owners of hockey teams should and should not act?

I get it, I do. We are all fans here and we want to see the team do well, so even if we all express it in different ways at the end of the day if we see an area where we feel things are being done poorly we want to make a comment about it.

So with that said I will never understand why the people who own these teams are supposed to never do and or say anything. Do you all really expect them to just cut the cheques and show up to the odd game?

3 hours ago, afan said:

I don't see the logic why owners should not take part in decision making concerning his team. This is none of the reporter's business.Right now he is dumping big money each year and yet his team has become a laughing stock in the league.  I think this owner should be more actively involved, especially when his team sucks so badly under TJ &JB. This city would rather have this owner, who is a hockey fan that wants to win, than one who knows nothing about hockey, like McCaw in the late 90s.

You are absolutely correct, Aquilini has every right to be part of the decision making process. Its his asset and he can manage it how he sees fit. He does though have a responsibility to the fans to admit his involvement. Thus far he has hasn't admitted to any interference but there have been numerous rumors that have always circulated including Gillis' admittance that Torotorella was not his hire. 

2 hours ago, samurai said:

We have great owners, they spend to the cap.  Just ask fans in the Peg or Ottawa.   Remember when we couldn't afford Larionov or Bure for that matter.

The Canucks are a far bigger brand than the Jets or the Sens. They can afford to spend that much because they make money off of ticket sales, merchandise and sponsors. Sponsors especially bring in a lot of dough for a franchise, and the bigger the market the more money you make. The Canucks are the 3rd biggest market in Canada. Winnipeg and Ottawa are 6th and 7th.

7 hours ago, Stelar said:

The bottom line is I am putting my faith at this point in Trevor Linden. He has lived and died for this team. He may not be the most experienced but he has the best interest of the team at heart.  I think he is on the right path.

I'm with you on that one. Linden I think has had to do a lot of learning on the fly, but the guy is a Canuck and wore it on the ice for many, many years. I'd rather have that than someone whose loyalties are questionable. I'm also not sure anything Frencesco can do at this point will satiate fans, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't..

We're in a rebuild. It'll suck for 2-4 more seasons, but it happens to almost every team. Look at how many seasons the Leafs and Oilers had to go through as absolute bottom feeders before they're finally decent teams now.

8 hours ago, Stelar said:

The bottom line is I am putting my faith at this point in Trevor Linden. He has lived and died for this team. He may not be the most experienced but he has the best interest of the team at heart.  I think he is on the right path.

Thats like saying Trump has the Worlds best interest at heart. Great business man, not so much president. 

6 hours ago, mpt said:

The problem isn't owners who cannot accept a rebuild.

We're not the Maple Leafs. Or Oilers?  Who sell out when their team sucks. 

I'm personally very supportive the team has made moves to try and keep the team competitive. (I admit I'd feel better if they worked?)  But I applaud the willingness to spend. To write off contracts like Tortorella. The essence of sport is to compete. Ownership has shown incredible commitment.

The market will always be rife with reporters like Botchford. 

"Oh, I'll start to support the team if they rebuild" trumpet some of the masses!

But still pile it on. Preferring to get behind negative articles. Prefer complaining than actually supporting their team. Supporters? I'm not so sure.

Considering the commitment, I reckon FA was within his rights to make a small statement.  Would have been within his rights to tell certain guys in the press to go toss themselves!

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Notice how the Aquaboss didn't just respond to low-hanging fruit -- easy targets like Pratt, Botchford, and Gallagher -- probably because he has a modicum of respect for Willis.

It's funny he never comes in here as well.

5 hours ago, samurai said:

We have great owners, they spend to the cap.  Just ask fans in the Peg or Ottawa.   Remember when we couldn't afford Larionov or Bure for that matter.

I seem to remember Larionov leaving not because the Canucks couldn't afford to pay him what he was looking for but rather "The Professor" not wanting to give a cut of his salary to the government back home; so he bolted overseas where (for whatever reason) that 'special tax' wouldn't be applicable.

Course I'm just going by memory....

Archived