The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 - Ray Ferraro's take on former teammate Travis Green

Rush17

7 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Because winning at poker is not luck when it happens over a long period of time. Just as in hockey, when one team beats another because the other side hits 5 posts while outshooting the winners 45-17, any individual poker game can yield unlikely results. But, as Green himself said in the initial presser, habits and knowledge and process -- performed consistently -- are the keys to winning, and that if the right decisions are made, winning isn't guaranteed on any one night, but will be increased over a long season.

More specifically, quick mathematical decisions are important in hockey -- just as they obviously are in poker -- in that a coach needs to know risk vs reward ratios on certain line changes, on face-off choices, on direct match-ups, on oZone starts, on Corsi combos, etc etc etc.

It's a great analogy, actually. Green's a smart guy who gets the big picture. I'm excited to see how he works with the Canucks.

To bad Luongo's poker skills and quick mathematical decisions couldn't stop a friggin puck in Boston.

I think it's important not to do what Edmonton did when they kept pronouncing that the rebuild was turning a corner prematurely, and labelling the next coach be the one to take that next step. Eakin got a bad deal there. Green isn't here because he's expected to outperform Desjardins or that the team underacheived and he's going to right the ship. I expect us to be worse next season, and if Miller doesn't resign, and/or we trade an Elder or Tanev away, we could be a lot worse.

I think it'll be a tough sell for Green going in to next season to get the young guys to believe they have something to play for other than individual acheivment and contracts. But hearing what he's said in the media, and what Ray had to say about him I am at least hopeful that he will help us try to rebuild the right way and we won't have a situation like in Edmonton where the young stars of the team just had a free pass to play big minutes and special teams without having anyone hold them accountable for doing the things that will make them good hockey players on a winning team. 

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

....it must be a good buddy of his......

Maybe part of it, but doesn't really seem like Ferraro's nature to pump anyone's tires.

In fact, half his compliments were backhanded / 'passive aggressive'.

I think he was just being real - personally I think Green is a pretty impressive guy - seems to strike a great balance.

On 4/27/2017 at 0:48 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

Green needs to apply his earn it mentality to ALL players, not just the young guys. I am tired of coaches completely ignoring the weaknesses and soft play of guys like the Sedins and Edler simply because they accomplished something years ago. Reality has to set in about what he has to work with RIGHT NOW, not what those guys were in 2011.

If he does this, it is a good thing for the team. If he doesn't, expect more of the same.

The Sedin's, 185 lbs each, have earned careers worthy of HHOF consideration. As guys who cycle the puck on the boards against guys 220 lbs. And no one could stop them.

Honestly, who has earned it more?

Linden is closer to the truth.  ''Ït's not '' their '' fault we have not been in a position to replace them!'' It's an organizational problem that we need to rely on guys who will soon be 37 years old to score more than 40 or 50 points and lead the team. If another team, in a different situation (read that, say, as Detroit, in their contending years ?) had these guys, it could be a great situation.  But here they are, and they show up and set a great example.

It's just the reality of where we are at.  You see a mistake by a player, say Edler. And you assume there is no accountability unless a player goes Tortorella on him.  Carefull what you wish for!

Be carefull what you assume also. Guys went off their clock because Goldobin got benched after scoring a goal.  But Stecher did not. And Horvat did not. And Baertschi did not. Hutton? And truth be told, Megna & Skille did not. But Larsen did get benched. So did Goldobin. And Virtanen.  Lots of guys made mistakes? Some guys got benched, and others did not.

Maybe the one's that got benched, got benched because their effort level was poor.  Maybe Sedin was slow getting to the bench, while playing through injury. Maybe Edler got exposed with a bad pass against a top player like Seguin?  Pro coaches are much more capable of making all these evaluations than most CDC fans.  

My observation, is that when things are going poorly?  Some fans just want to go off their clock.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:12 AM, brownky said:

I think Edler's a case of being played far too much, in a role he's simply not fit or meant for.

His absolute best years came when he was with Salo or Ehrhoff. Two offensive guys, leaving Edler to focus on basically defence only. When Edler thinks too much, that's when he gets in trouble. Offense requires a much different thought process to defence; some guys are just better at certain ends of the ice.

Edler's strength certainly isn't offense. So take the PP time out and he's suddenly playing 3-4 fewer minutes a game. Less fatigue, less chance for an Edler brain fart. And pair him with Stetcher. Or... for the nuclear option, see just how bad Subban's defence is. I mean if he's out there Edler knows he's the only defenceman so it makes that job very, very easy.

Edler scored 49 points the year after Ehrfoff left.  And they own the identical 0.43 PPG career average.

Salo never cracked 40 points.  Not sure its fair to suggest he was an ''öffensive'' guy? His PPG hovered just below that at 0.39. Its a good two way player performance though, as was Edler's. As is Edler's.

Like Edler, Salo was a big shot.  Huge in Salo's case. And a pretty good passer. But neither really had any ability to dangle, or break down defences. I just hoped they rotated the puck or shot before they came under too much pressure. Both were better served being that big shot when others, at one time Ehrhoff, handled the puck.   

And if Edler is less supported now, than ever, with guys who can handle it? Maybe, well he is, just a little slower than he used to be? He just gets exposed a little more often.  

On 2017-04-27 at 5:04 AM, Baggins said:

The ability to bluff your way through.....:lol:

Bluffing is only effective if you're respected at the table. By that, you MUST prove yourself before bluffing works. If you're not respected (i.e. if people think you are a weak poker player), you WILL get called by someone who thinks less of you.

Table image is an essential part of poker. The fact that Green made it deep into the WSOP is an accolade that is worth mentioning.

53 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Bluffing is only effective if you're respected at the table. By that, you MUST prove yourself before bluffing works. If you're not respected (i.e. if people think you are a weak poker player), you WILL get called by someone who thinks less of you.

Table image is an essential part of poker. The fact that Green made it deep into the WSOP is an accolade that is worth mentioning.

As a poker player I disagree. Bluffing is a skill and an important one. If you're good at it you can get deep into the tournament. It can get tougher the deeper you get though. Now I haven't played in a WSOP, but I have played in more than 40 tournaments with 10 or more tables and made the final table more than 50% of the time. You can't rely on the luck of getting good hands. You do need to be able to bluff to go deep. Knowing when to bet small, and when to bet large plays a big role as well. It's not just what you have, it's also how you play it. You need to play the players.

Also proven players are well known. Being well known can make it tougher for them to bluff. It's the unkown where the ability to read people comes into play. Being an unkown can be a distinct advantage when it comes to bluffing.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

The Sedin's, 185 lbs each, have earned careers worthy of HHOF consideration. As guys who cycle the puck on the boards against guys 220 lbs. And no one could stop them.

Honestly, who has earned it more?

Linden is closer to the truth.  ''Ït's not '' their '' fault we have not been in a position to replace them!'' It's an organizational problem that we need to rely on guys who will soon be 37 years old to score more than 40 or 50 points and lead the team. If another team, in a different situation (read that, say, as Detroit, in their contending years ?) had these guys, it could be a great situation.  But here they are, and they show up and set a great example.

It's just the reality of where we are at.  You see a mistake by a player, say Edler. And you assume there is no accountability unless a player goes Tortorella on him.  Carefull what you wish for!

Be carefull what you assume also. Guys went off their clock because Goldobin got benched after scoring a goal.  But Stecher did not. And Horvat did not. And Baertschi did not. Hutton? And truth be told, Megna & Skille did not. But Larsen did get benched. So did Goldobin. And Virtanen.  Lots of guys made mistakes? Some guys got benched, and others did not.

Maybe the one's that got benched, got benched because their effort level was poor.  Maybe Sedin was slow getting to the bench, while playing through injury. Maybe Edler got exposed with a bad pass against a top player like Seguin?  Pro coaches are much more capable of making all these evaluations than most CDC fans.  

My observation, is that when things are going poorly?  Some fans just want to go off their clock.

When you listen to the Green presser you get an idea how different coaches have to deal with different players. Personalities vary and how they are coached varies accordingly.  

On 4/26/2017 at 4:12 PM, brownky said:

I think Edler's a case of being played far too much, in a role he's simply not fit or meant for.

His absolute best years came when he was with Salo or Ehrhoff. Two offensive guys, leaving Edler to focus on basically defence only. When Edler thinks too much, that's when he gets in trouble. Offense requires a much different thought process to defence; some guys are just better at certain ends of the ice.

Edler's strength certainly isn't offense. So take the PP time out and he's suddenly playing 3-4 fewer minutes a game. Less fatigue, less chance for an Edler brain fart. And pair him with Stetcher. Or... for the nuclear option, see just how bad Subban's defence is. I mean if he's out there Edler knows he's the only defenceman so it makes that job very, very easy.

Salo was the more defensive player in that pairing, allowing Edler to be more involved offensively. Compared to when he was paired with Ehrhoff, Edler focused on the D while Ehrhoff was the one roaming more offensively.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:45 PM, Rush17 said:

This is a must listen too for any fan wanting to learn more about Travis Green.  He goes in depth about Travis entering the league on the same islanders team Ray was apart of.  He talks about the transformation of Green as a player and how it has impacted him as a coach.  If you have any doubts or concerns with Travis Green.  This is the best source for learning about him available.  Ray speaks very high of him but breaks down why and how he feels he is an ideal fit with the team given its firm direction of getting younger and accepting a rebuild. 

Title:

Ferraro: Travis Green is a great communicator, innovative, progressive

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-travis-green-is-a-great-communicator-innovative-progressive-1.734502

if someone would like to break this down into a point form breakdown. I will quote you in the main topic so others can get a feel for it.  This is truly insightful interview.  This one has 10 x the content of all the other talking heads.  Apparently Green and Ferraro grew up only 20 minutes from one another to bout.  Despite Ray being a little older.   He goes into how Green use to be a lazy player and learned how to become a pro.  Kind of similar to the story of Jake in a round about way.  That is why I believe Jake has had the transformation he has this year in Utica. Give it a try if you want to learn more about Greener.  Hopefully this time tomorrow we will know if he is our future coach.  Look forward to any potential announcements come tomorrow.

Cheers.

Long form summary:

I like Ferraro. Good man. He'd be a good fit on the Canucks management team in some capacity.

Of course everyone is optimistic about next season. The new coach however might end up being a scape goat for the rest of management. Hopefully management will help him rectify the mess they have created.

I have always wondered why proven goal scorers with other teams come here and can't score anymore. Look at Vrbata and Bonino for example.

Another thing is why did Canuck management get rid of some of the gritty players they had going into the 2011 cup final ?

Archived