The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Kris Russell

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

CDC is still upset that Dallas chose Russell over Hamhuis. Russell is actually a pretty good d-man that played all year on the Oiler's second D pairing , not a 3rd pair d-man as many here suggest. He is a shot blocking machine, led the league in total blocked shots and blocked shots per game by quite a margin. He has led the league in blocked shots per game for the past three seasons and has been 1st or 2nd in total blocked shots for the same period.

He skates well, moves the puck well and,as you would expect from a bull rider, is a lot tougher than many here give him credit for. There was a reason the Oilers really wanted to lock him up for another 4 seasons.

No. Klefbom is a good defenseman. Larsson is a good defenseman. 

Russell is a shot-blocking $&!# machine. 

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

Sure he's proven to be a # 5/6 defensman who will block shots. You don't pay 16mil over 4 years for that.  This is worse than the Sbisa contract.

He is way better than Sbisa though.  When he was with the flames he was in their top 4 and a league leader in blocking shots and a great skater.

People here just bash anything the Oilers and other teams they hate do.   Because the Canucks are in such great shape and always make great moves.   Like that Louis Eriksson signing....

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

CDC is still upset that Dallas chose Russell over Hamhuis. Russell is actually a pretty good d-man that played all year on the Oiler's second D pairing , not a 3rd pair d-man as many here suggest. He is a shot blocking machine, led the league in total blocked shots and blocked shots per game by quite a margin. He has led the league in blocked shots per game for the past three seasons and has been 1st or 2nd in total blocked shots for the same period.

He skates well, moves the puck well and,as you would expect from a bull rider, is a lot tougher than many here give him credit for. There was a reason the Oilers really wanted to lock him up for another 4 seasons.

He had a great playoff run. His shot blocking was exceptional.

19 minutes ago, JV77 said:

He is way better than Sbisa though.  When he was with the flames he was in their top 4 and a league leader in blocking shots and a great skater.

People here just bash anything the Oilers and other teams they hate do.   Because the Canucks are in such great shape and always make great moves.   Like that Louis Eriksson signing....

Russell is even more one-dimensional than Tanev. He's one of the best shot-blocking defensemen in the NHL, but can't do anything else particularly well. His puck possession stats are absolutely brutal and he has no skating ability or the ability to move the puck out of the zone.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Russell is even more one-dimensional than Tanev. He's one of the best shot-blocking defensemen in the NHL, but can't do anything else particularly well. His puck possession stats are absolutely brutal and he has no skating ability or the ability to move the puck out of the zone.

No skating ability?  What!?

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

Sbisa is great skater and good shot blocker as well there's really not that much separating them besides the pizzas Sbisa serves up. He's also younger and Russell is on wrong side of 30 now and taken a lot of beatings over the years. He had to settle for a one year deal last year and all of a sudden is worth 4mil for 4 years. I think not he's a depreciating asset . Not bashing him or defending the Canucks I'm just stating my unbiased opinion.  If Jim Benning signed that deal we'd all want him fired immediately.  

55 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Sbisa is great skater and good shot blocker as well there's really not that much separating them besides the pizzas Sbisa serves up. He's also younger and Russell is on wrong side of 30 now and taken a lot of beatings over the years. He had to settle for a one year deal last year and all of a sudden is worth 4mil for 4 years. I think not he's a depreciating asset . Not bashing him or defending the Canucks I'm just stating my unbiased opinion.  If Jim Benning signed that deal we'd all want him fired immediately.  

But the Loui Eriksson deal he signed, you have no issue with?

7 minutes ago, JV77 said:

But the Loui Eriksson deal he signed, you have no issue with?

No no I agree that was a bad contract in length and term. I had issue with it and still do. I will give him another year to see what he has but I'm not confident he'll ever be what he was. Best case scenario in my opinion he's a complimentary player with let's say Bo and Bear. The sum of what Benning has done I have liked but there are  a few gaffes in there.

With this deal I am thinking RNH might get traded sooner than later as well. Resigning McDavid is going to cost the Oilers and arm and a leg and they probably need RNH's contract off the books especially with this new extension of Russell. 

Anything with a ntc or nmc for a player that's not a  top 2 forwards or #1 dman is a bad deal. 4x4 is also another example of why benning should steer clear of the early ufa insanity, wait it out see who left before camp then throw some lowball offers. 

Last thing Vancouver needs is another for 30+ year old on an unmovable contract. 

On 6/23/2017 at 0:00 PM, Rick Blight said:

Objectivity is always welcome   plus 1

Archived