The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I thought Vaxjo had a champs league game in the morning.  

11 hours ago, Isam said:

Looks like they got a game tomorrow in champions league against bern. People can correct me if im wrong.

Looks like the game (Växjö vs Bern) starts at 11am Vancouver time.

Free streams are already available on the CHL website for the earlier quarterfinal starts, so I’d expect there’ll be a stream up for Pettersson’s game once we get a little closer to game time.

Jašek and Liberec also play today in their quarterfinal game one starting at 10:15am (versus ZSC).

7 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

Elias is on pace for 67 points in a 52 game regular season. That would tie him for fourth most points in a single SHL season by anyone ever.

1 SE Håkan Loob 22 F 1982‑83 36 42 34 76 26         1.167 0.944 2.111
2 SE Pär Arlbrandt 31 F 2013‑14 53 26 45 71 66 5 11 0 8 0.491 0.849 1.340
3 CA Bud Holloway 24 F 2012‑13 55 20 51 71 36 25 9 0 2 0.364 0.927 1.291
4 SE Kristian Huselius 22 F 2000‑01 49 32 35 67 26 15 10 5 9 0.653 0.714 1.367
5 SE Tony Mårtensson 27 F 2007‑08 55 17 50 67 36 4 8 0 3 0.309 0.909 1.218

Only thing is he’ll miss some games for wjc and possibly a game or two during olympics if he goes. Probably wont get the full 52

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

Elias is on pace for 67 points in a 52 game regular season. That would tie him for fourth most points in a single SHL season by anyone ever.

Ever.  Yes - that is impressive.  Especially when you compare to guys like Forsberg who ended up being a true elite player and didn't accomplish remotely what Pettersson is on pace for, even at his young age.

I don't have many concerns with Pettersson.  Even his size doesn't bother me at all; I think he will be just fine and expect him to pack on some size in the next few years; at least he has the frame for it.  I am slightly concerned (as I am with all european players) that his game might not translate to the NHL, but he's smart enough that he should find a way to overcome that.

The only real (and only potential) concern I have here is that I can't get any stats on Elias's shooting percentage stats. Is he shooting at a sustainable pace or has he just been really lucky?  If the latter, his stats might be inflated as a result - but the longer the season wears on the more I feel he might just be that good!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The only real (and only potential) concern I have here is that I can't get any stats on Elias's shooting percentage stats. Is he shooting at a sustainable pace or has he just been really lucky?  If the latter, his stats might be inflated as a result - but the longer the season wears on the more I feel he might just be that good!

You could probably ask the same of Boeser.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Ever.  Yes - that is impressive.  Especially when you compare to guys like Forsberg who ended up being a true elite player and didn't accomplish remotely what Pettersson is on pace for, even at his young age.

I don't have many concerns with Pettersson.  Even his size doesn't bother me at all; I think he will be just fine and expect him to pack on some size in the next few years; at least he has the frame for it.  I am slightly concerned (as I am with all european players) that his game might not translate to the NHL, but he's smart enough that he should find a way to overcome that.

Here are his stats for shooting %..........he is at 18.97%

k No Name Team Pos GP G SOG SG%
1 27 Nilsson, Ludvig BIF LW 1 1 3 33.33
2 34 Lindqvist, Michael FBK LW 25 15 57 26.32
3 21 Engqvist, Andreas DIF CE 18 8 36 22.22
4 11 Olofsson, Victor FRÖ RW 22 12 57 21.05
5 40 Pettersson, Elias VÄX CE 24 11 58 18.97

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Here are his stats for shooting %..........he is at 18.97%

k No Name Team Pos GP G SOG SG%
1 27 Nilsson, Ludvig BIF LW 1 1 3 33.33
2 34 Lindqvist, Michael FBK LW 25 15 57 26.32
3 21 Engqvist, Andreas DIF CE 18 8 36 22.22
4 11 Olofsson, Victor FRÖ RW 22 12 57 21.05
5 40 Pettersson, Elias VÄX CE 24 11 58 18.97

Thank you for that.

See, even for the SHL I don't see 19% being sustainable.  So either this means he is ridiculously lethal with his shot, he's really lucky, or some of both, but I would guess he is unlikely to keep up quite this pace.  (Which is ok, considering my reference to Forsberg).  The thing I find interesting is that he's still in quite a race for the SHL scoring lead with others nipping at his heels even at the level he's playing.  If he is so elite when comparing his stats to historical all-time stats, how are all these nobodies even keeping up??  Most are well into their careers and some were even NHL-bound at one point but failed.  

The SHL is a weird league.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You could probably ask the same of Boeser.

Yeah you could.  So I'll say the same thing about him - either he has a lethal shot, is really lucky, or both.  In Boeser's case, his elite-level shot is obvious so I'll lean less on the lucky side a bit - but I would also expect even him to regress a little by season's end.  I mean, do we really think Boeser is going to end up with 83 points in 80 games played?  That'd be awesome but I just don't see it as likely.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Thank you for that.

See, even for the SHL I don't see 19% being sustainable.  So either this means he is ridiculously lethal with his shot, he's really lucky, or some of both, but I would guess he is unlikely to keep up quite this pace.  (Which is ok, considering my reference to Forsberg).  The thing I find interesting is that he's still in quite a race for the SHL scoring lead with others nipping at his heels even at the level he's playing.  If he is so elite when comparing his stats to historical all-time stats, how are all these nobodies even keeping up??  Most are well into their careers and some were even NHL-bound at one point but failed.  

The SHL is a weird league.

Yeah you could.  So I'll say the same thing about him - either he has a lethal shot, is really lucky, or both.  In Boeser's case, his elite-level shot is obvious so I'll lean less on the lucky side a bit - but I would also expect even him to regress a little by season's end.  I mean, do we really think Boeser is going to end up with 83 points in 80 games played?  That'd be awesome but I just don't see it as likely.

His U20 season is being compared to legends' U20 seasons - apples to apples. It's the fact that he's only 19 and putting up the points that he did that's the impressive part.

• Cheers 1