The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 more year wouldnt be terrible. Especially if Gaudette makes the team. 

I dont think I want him in the AHL. Its worse than the SHL and full of dirty players. Give him another year in the SHL woth Champions league and probably a world championship as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

1 more year wouldnt be terrible. Especially if Gaudette makes the team. 

I dont think I want him in the AHL. Its worse than the SHL and full of dirty players. Give him another year in the SHL woth Champions league and probably a world championship as well.

I don't  ever see him in  the AHL. I would assume the Nucks have him on A. Schedule to gain weight. Cheers.

Edited by bp79
Spelling mistake
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think in terms of development the Canucks should look at bringing Dalhen back to the AHL. He's still classified as 'On Loan' to Timra, with the expectation that he could sign with an SHL team a month in. Well, we're past that now, and he's still in the Allsvenskan. Since the Rodin termination, and he Goldobin call-up the Comets could use some offense, and there's a need for him on the wing now. So bring him over, maybe sometime after Christmas.

As for Pettersson, he's ready for the bigs. His pace is demolishing every record for a U20 player in the SHL. He should be ready for the NHL next year. 

I think Gaudette gets a look at the end of this season, depending upon where we sit in the playoff picture. I could see him being offered the Boeser deal, to sign an ELC, with the chance to burn the first year off this year. He'd then have to make the team out of camp next year. If we are in a playoff position with everyone healthy, then this might not be an option. 

I think Juolevi could make the club next year in addition to Elias. He's checked the pro experience box now, that should accelerate his AHL time. 

With the exception of Dahlen, I could see all these rookies making the club next year. That would count on expiring contracts being let go (except the twins), and no free agents added:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Gagner - Granlund

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

(Goldobin/Gaudette)

- Granlund/Baertschi/Virtanen all due for a slight raise, taken from Sedins' paycut

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Pouliot

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi

- Does Gudbranson re-sign? That's the big question. Otherwise, Pouliot/Stecher are both in for a raise. Money freed up from Vanek, and possibly Gudbranson. 

Goaltending is another question, as I'm sure Demko would be chomping at the bit by the start of next season.

• Cheers 3

If gradin was pushing to have him with the Canucks this year,

i am very sure there will be a big push from within the org to bring over pettersson next year.

but I think it really depends on where he's at physically, really would hate to see him getting crushed and thrown a round with no one on the team to watch his back even on top of it all

so ridiculously excited for this kid though, my god him and Boeser together just can't wait!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think in terms of development the Canucks should look at bringing Dalhen back to the AHL. He's still classified as 'On Loan' to Timra, with the expectation that he could sign with an SHL team a month in. Well, we're past that now, and he's still in the Allsvenskan. Since the Rodin termination, and he Goldobin call-up the Comets could use some offense, and there's a need for him on the wing now. So bring him over, maybe sometime after Christmas.

Last I heard (I believe from Uffe Brodin), Dahlén might stick it out with Timrå so long as they stay tops in the Allsvenskan. He has a chance to be part of elevating Timrå to the SHL. And given that he’s spent 4 years with that organization, he probably feels a strong sense of loyalty and might not want to pass up the opportunity (even if it’s not necessarily the best move for his career).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

If gradin was pushing to have him with the Canucks this year,

i am very sure there will be a big push from within the org to bring over pettersson next year.

but I think it really depends on where he's at physically, really would hate to see him getting crushed and thrown a round with no one on the team to watch his back even on top of it all

so ridiculously excited for this kid though, my god him and Boeser together just can't wait!

I thought maybe he had put on some weight since being drafted but on the the vaxjo wesbite they still have him listed at 161lbs.

He sure has skill dont get me wrong but damn that is one skinny ass kid!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Last I heard (I believe from Uffe Brodin), Dahlén might stick it out with Timrå so long as they stay tops in the Allsvenskan. He has a chance to be part of elevating Timrå to the SHL. And given that he’s spent 4 years with that organization, he probably feels a strong sense of loyalty and might not want to pass up the opportunity (even if it’s not necessarily the best move for his career).

If that turned out to be the case, I'd say his unselfishness is positively Rathbonian!

• Cheers 1

One reason I am not totally against the Sedins coming back on one year $1mil deals next year is to provide mentorship for Pettersson and maybe Dahlen like Thomas Gradin wanted this year.  And before everyone jumps on me about the Sedins, what if the Nucks make the playoffs this year and the Sedins play well?  They are playing well as of late and the Nucks are in the thick of the playoff race.  I don't think we'll see a 9 game losing streak this year and the Sedins should be relatively fresh come playoff time if they do make it.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

One reason I am not totally against the Sedins coming back on one year $1mil deals next year is to provide mentorship for Pettersson and maybe Dahlen like Thomas Gradin wanted this year.  And before everyone jumps on me about the Sedins, what if the Nucks make the playoffs this year and the Sedins play well?  They are playing well as of late and the Nucks are in the thick of the playoff race.  I don't think we'll see a 9 game losing streak this year and the Sedins should be relatively fresh come playoff time if they do make it.

After their recent play they are proving to themselves that they can still play and I'd be amazed if they didn't come back next year. I think it would be especially important for them to be there for Pettersson to learn from them as well. All the young guys talk about when asked about the Sedins is their work ethic and preparation.

I like the 1 million each discount as well. It likely doesn't happen, but with all of the talk of the big ticket free agents coming up this season, I'd tell them hey we want to go after Karlsson and give your salary to him. Then I'd offer Karlsson 14 million for 1 season and that would appeal to his inner mercenary. Presto you have a puck moving defenseman and you bring in as many young guys that would allow the team to stay competitive. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

After their recent play they are proving to themselves that they can still play and I'd be amazed if they didn't come back next year. I think it would be especially important for them to be there for Pettersson to learn from them as well. All the young guys talk about when asked about the Sedins is their work ethic and preparation.

I like the 1 million each discount as well. It likely doesn't happen, but with all of the talk of the big ticket free agents coming up this season, I'd tell them hey we want to go after Karlsson and give your salary to him. Then I'd offer Karlsson 14 million for 1 season and that would appeal to his inner mercenary. Presto you have a puck moving defenseman and you bring in as many young guys that would allow the team to stay competitive. 

Whoa, adding Karlsson to this team would be incredible, but I wouldn't offer more than $12 :)

- Release the Sedins, trade Edler, Hutton, Baertschi and Granlund, sign Kane in off season

Kane -Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Goldobin

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gaunce - Sutter - Eriksson

Juolevi - Karlsson

Del Zotto - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stecher

Pouliot

Markstrom/Nilsson

Demko

just give us the Cup already

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I am fine with a one year deal as long as they continue to be productive and are not taking a roster spot from a younger player in the system who is ready and deserving. 

At this point if they come back I can't see offering them more than $3 - $4 million each per year. They are excellent mentors and examples and could benefit Elias' transition to the NHL.  At those salaries there will still be cap space available to add a top defenseman or top forward.  Vanek will be gone and Dorsett is off the books.

If they want more and can find another team to pay them both more, maybe it is time to move on. Maybe they can win a cup somewhere, I would be happy for them as long as it wasn't against the Cancucks.

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I am fine with a one year deal as long as they continue to be productive and are not taking a roster spot from a younger player in the system who is ready and deserving. 

At this point if they come back I can't see offering them more than $3 - $4 million each per year. They are excellent mentors and examples and could benefit Elias' transition to the NHL.

If they want more and can find another team to pay them both more, maybe it is time to move on. Maybe they can win a cup somewhere, I would be happy for them as long as long as it wasn't against the Cancucks.

Acquisition-Development-Evaluation; My credo for the past few seasons. Where do the Twins play into that equation is 'Development'. Quite honestly it wasn't working that well until Ericksson came back off injury. As a 2nd productive line they can take some pressure off Horvat which gives huge value. To early to tell whether they can keep it up. I also like the idea that increased offense also takes pressure off roolies like Gaunce and Virtanen. 

At the beginning of the year I did not think the Twins would be resigned. I do think there are too many vets on this roster even with Dorsett gone. Trade Vanek and/or Gagner into the TDL and it takes that pressure off. If the Twins are resigned it has to be a 1 year deal with no trade restrictions. They are Canuck legends but no player(s) are bigger than the team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Even if they didn't come back as players next year, I wouldn't be surprised if they were put into a position where they could be leaders on the team still.

That being said, I really have no expectations either way and more just waiting to see what happens.

• Cheers 1