The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

One of if not the most talented player on the team now. That said, i think he needs to put on a bit of weight before he gets on full time. It may not be the popular decision but I wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down for this season, maybe playing the 9 games allowed. 

No.

Also the '9 game' thing only applies to Junior players.

22 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

That’s why I think the Canucks ultimate plan is for EP to center Brock Boeser with either Dahlen or Goldobin.  Horvat and Baer will be a great second line for many years.  Then you have Gaudette and Virtanen with Leipsic as a solid 3rd line.  The future is now. 

IMO, Baer's likely gone as soon as someone better is ready to replace him.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also the '9 game' thing only applies to Junior players.

I’m putting on my nerd glasses for this one. ;) 

Technically, the reason the 9 games thing doesn’t apply to Pettersson is that he was signed in 2018, rendering him an “ELC signing age 20” player and slide ineligible.

Had he been signed in 2017, he’d be considered “ELC signing age 18” and “age 19” for the start of this season, and therefore slide eligible and could appear in 9 games for Vancouver, and then have his contact slide a year if he was sent to the AHL (or back to the SHL).

Gadjovich is slide eligible this season, even though he’s going to be in the AHL, and basically the same age as Pettersson, because he signed in 2017, which made him a “ELC signing age 18” player and eligible to slide for both 2017-18 (his “age 18” season) and 2018-19 (his “age 19” season).

Had Gadjovich signed in 2018, he’d fall under the turning 20 between Sept 15 and Dec 31 category, and be considered “ELC signing age 20” and therefore slide ineligible (which is the case for Pettersson, and Lind as well).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gadjovich is slide eligible this season, even though he’s going to be in the AHL, and basically the same age as Pettersson, because he signed in 2017, which made him a “ELC signing age 18” player and eligible to slide for both 2017-18 (his “age 18” season) and 2018-19 (his “age 19” season).

I get easily confused with all the 'fine print' on the ELC stuff, but it appears that Shinkaruk was in the same boat as Gadjovich and ended up being paid for 4 years under a 3 year contract. I'm sure I've got it all wrong......so, nothing new there ! :)

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I get easily confused with all the 'fine print' on the ELC stuff, but it appears that Shinkaruk was in the same boat as Gadjovich and ended up being paid for 4 years under a 3 year contract. I'm sure I've got it all wrong......so, nothing new there ! :)

Yeah, Shinkaruk earned a pro salary for 4 years on his ELC, mostly in the AHL. The ELC itself lasted 5 years, as he collected his first year signing bonus while in junior. He’s an example of how Gadjovich’s ELC will likely go, although hopefully “Dad” will play a lot more NHL games than Shink did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not to mention the local usual suspects.  They are already starting to soft-pedal, as if they can flip the switch from "Benning is incompetent, team is a mess, screwed Linden, mixed messages, terrible contracts, years away from being competitive, pretty much a hopeless joke" to "team's looking good, great prospects, very good future ahead" without anybody noticing.  Of course they do it without ever giving any credit to anyone, yet heaping blame and ridicule when things are bad.

Just wait till NOVEMBER when they start taking crdit for seeing it coming by their statements this week!

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Even though I feel like Pettersson is struggling, he has 3 points in 2 games, so maybe I'm kidding myself.

I think he's one of these rare talents that can contribute even when they're a bit uncomfortable. I imagine he'll start off looking a little uncomfortable for the first 10-20, yet still put up some pretty good numbers, and once he really gets into a groove, look the &^@# out!

I think he will be a power play savant from the get go and will steadily rack up points. 5 on 5 success will come eventually, but I predict growing pains. When other teams realize how he will kill them on the PP, I can see them making an extra effort to lay the body on him. He’s pretty slippery and quick, but you could see tonight he was getting buffeted about some, falling down a fair bit. The fans will likely be more upset than him. He’s a baby faced assassin. 5 on 5 success will come...but when? Perhaps from the get go, who knows? I’d be delighted to be wrong on this. Will be fun to watch this kid develop before our eyes over the coming years.

And Quinn is coming.

Unlike many players who get secondary assists EP's secondary assists usually create the entire play. Or put others in open areas. Look at overtime he just about sent Tanev on a breakaway and just put too much mustard on it. Or when he was behind the net and had a man open and hit the other open defenseman.

• Upvote 2