The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

From what I've seen the best hockey players have 'weight' in the lower half.

I remember twenty years ago seeing Bure and Mogilny around UBC, and their glutes and quads were massive.

Elias will start to get 'old man' upper body strength - and I have no doubt that he keep training the muscles that actually matter when skating and fending off defenders.

It's all in the legs and buttocks. - see Crosby for a great modern day example.

They're the muscles they use the most because of all the skating.  Soccer players have big legs too because of all the running and need for explosive speed.

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

They're the muscles they use the most because of all the skating.  Soccer players have big legs too because of all the running and need for explosive speed.

Yep. That's where all the weight is.

Biggest mistake I see young players make is hitting the bench and curls too hard when they should be squatting, lunging, jumping, etc..

Through two periods the Lakers are up 1-0 and EP has been having a very strong game but cannot get on the scoresheet (yet?).   Tight game - very fast paced.   He is, so far into the season, on the top line and getting top line minutes which is impressive for that age in this league.  He is clearly fast enough for the NHL.   Doesn't look as "slight" as he did even at Prospects Game - bigger pads? (lol).   

Low scoring game and he has been very defensively responsible.   Feed is horrible for me today - lots of lag but can still follow.

UPDATE - Game over, Lakers hold on for 1-0 win.   Remain undefeated through 4 games.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
Update
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Through two periods the Lakers are up 1-0 and EP has been having a very strong game but cannot get on the scoresheet (yet?).   Tight game - very fast paced.   He is, so far into the season, on the top line and getting top line minutes which is impressive for that age in this league.  He is clearly fast enough for the NHL.   Doesn't look as "slight" as he did even at Prospects Game - bigger pads? (lol).   

Low scoring game and he has been very defensively responsible.   Feed is horrible for me today - lots of lag but can still follow.

UPDATE - Game over, Lakers hold on for 1-0 win.   Remain undefeated through 4 games.

Glad to hear his game is as good as it is at both ends. They've come out to a wicked start. 

44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seriously though, it would be nice to see a goal or two beside his name. I haven't been able to keep up with the games, so I'm not really able to speak on anything. Is he getting his chances?

I haven't had the chance to catch any of his games either yet, but I'm sure he'll bag one in the coming matches

On 30/09/2017 at 1:40 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Less than a PPG?

Bust.

I know you're joking but it's worth noting that Will Nylander was 0.2PPG in his draft year in the SHL.  Anything over 0.5 PPG in the SHL is really good for an D+1 player.

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I know you're joking but it's worth noting that Will Nylander was 0.2PPG in his draft year in the SHL.  Anything over 0.5 PPG in the SHL is really good for an D+1 player.

Im pretty sure the most of the Euro leagues have 1 assist per goal unless its a tic tic toe type play or is this just the KHL that does that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Im pretty sure the most of the Euro leagues have 1 assist per goal unless its a tic tic toe type play or is this just the KHL that does that. 

You're correct. SHL, Allsvenskan and many other European leagues don't have second assists which is part of the reason for lower PPG.

Also the SHL is arguably the best league outside the NHL so it's a hell of a transition for a kid to make the jump and produce at that level (although Petterson was well equipped playing against men in Allsvenskan, many of which have been in the SHL).

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

You're correct. SHL, Allsvenskan and many other European leagues don't have second assists which is part of the reason for lower PPG.

Also the SHL is arguably the best league outside the NHL so it's a hell of a transition for a kid to make the jump and produce at that level (although Petterson was well equipped playing against men in Allsvenskan, many of which have been in the SHL).

Not sure if that was the case in the past but it's definitely not now. SHL and pretty much every Euro league I follow award 2nd assists.

Here's a game sheet from a recent SHL game (I just picked the one with the most goals this week):

http://www.flashscore.ca/game/YFyLvUqm/#game-summary

11 of the 15 goals scored that game had 2nd assists.

That said, they do seem to be a little more stingy handing out 2nd assists, especially in the KHL, and you generally have to do more than just be the third last guy to touch the puck to earn one.