The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So it seems as though Pettersson's production has cooled off. 3 points in 6 games with no goals isn't exactly earth shattering.

Can someone who's been watching the games tell me how he's been looking? Is his lack of production cause for concern?

I haven't watched every game but from what I've seen there's no cause for concern. Plenty of skill on display and lots of chances getting generated. On the negative side, his strength deficiencies do stand out at times, but that's to be expected. And I read a recent article that suggests his trainers have a solid plan in place to get him where he needs to be physically.

As for the production, I wouldn't worry. He's still tied for the lead among U20 scorers in the SHL (and the others with 3 points have played 7 or 8 games to Pettersson's 6). And I'd expect he'll finish the season stronger than 0.50 points per game.

Also, apparently he's nursing an illness, which may or may not have been a factor in his dropoff over his last few games played.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typo
  • Upvote 4

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Pettersson only ends up around .5ppg that is still very good for a 19 year old playing in the SHL. 

Backstrom had 26pts in 46 games in his 19 year old season

Nylander had 20pts in 21 games in his 19 year old season

Hopefully Pettersson can put up somewhere between those ranges. Nylander was more physically developed than Pettersson at his age so that should be taken into consideration since Pettersson is a complete bean pole.

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Pettersson only ends up around .5ppg that is still very good for a 19 year old playing in the SHL. 

You're not wrong.

Since 1975-76, only 7 U20 SHL/SEL players have managed a point per game or better. 27 have hit 0.75 points per game. And 117 have been 0.50 points per game or better.

So a half point per game for an 18/19-year-old is quite good. And once you start getting a bit higher than that, you quickly enter into the more rarefied air of some of history's best Swedish hockey players.

Pettersson in action today in the Champions League. He's in the lineup on the 2nd line. Game starts in a little under an hour.

Stream not up yet but will be available here:

https://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/matches/898b2f0095a2f2899dbf3f79#tab_event-stats=team-statistics&tab_event=lineups

EDIT: Växjö needs a win to secure first place in their group. A loss or tie would allow Liberec (Lukas Jašek's team--playing later today) to take top spot in Group E with a win in their game. Both teams have already qualified for the next round but still have final seeding on the line.

13 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I don't think Elias has been back out since he got crunched....that was near the end of the period though...probably about 4-5 minutes before the end.

Elias is going to need to have a swivel installed on his neck.....

I thought I saw him back out a couple times and as the team went off the ice.